• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Story of hope...but still broke

Hello buddies

I have not returned to this forum for months now but I am hoping I am posting this message in the right section, if not, I am sorry about it!
First of all I would like to express my deepest and sincerest respect and thanks to thse of you who responded to my questions and worries on this forum and who I feel really supported me when I was at my worse even without knowing it. For a long while I thought I had MSi and then I was told I had CFS but it turned out to be CIDP, don't ask me how or why, I suffered for years going from doctor to doctor and I feel almost write a book with all the mess I went through (as all of us here I guess) the result is that for months I was totally bedrridden unable to walk, lift anything ans just tought I was dying soon from weakness and pain. Anyway I just wanted to tell everyone that I am much better now, still weak some days and unstable but really a part from slight atrophy of hands and wrists, I feel I am getting most of my strength back and this was unimaginable for me only four months ago!

taniaaust1

Glad to hear that you finally do have a correct diagnoses.

For anyone wondering
Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) is an acquired immune-mediated inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nervous system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_inflammatory_demyelinating_polyneuropathy
Diagnosis is usually made through a clinical neurological examination. Patients usually present with a history of weakness, numbness, tingling, pain and difficulty in walking. They may additionally present with fainting spells while standing up or burning pain in extremities. Some patients may have sudden onset of back pain or neck pain radiating down the extremities, usually diagnosed as radicular pain. These symptoms are usually progressive and may be intermittent.
On examination the patients may have weakness, and loss of deep tendon reflexes (rarely increased or normal). There may be atrophy (shrinkage) of muscles, fasciculations (twitching) and loss of sensation. Patients may have Multi-Focal Motor neuropathy, as they have no sensory loss.
The patient may present with a single cranial nerve or peripheral nerve dysfunction.
Autonomic system dysfunction can occur; in such a case, the patient would complain of orthostatic dizziness, problems with bowel and bladder functions, and cardiac problems.

Im trying to remember who it is.. I know that description does fit one of the regulars who commonly posts at this site... (lots of that fits my case but a few things dont eg I get hyperreflexia which is more so connected to ME and dont have the muscle shrinkage part... this other who this description does fit.. also does has the things on this list which I dont)

Hoping someone else who reads this thread will know who Im refering too and direct that person to this thread.

We really need a big list of differential diagnoses like this one for people here to consider....

Thank you taniaaus! yep maybe you're talking about me :) I havent posted here for a while but I remeber you answering my questions:)

BFG

@karlish hey I don't know if your still visiting this site, but can you tell me how you were diagnosed with CIDP? I am in a similar situation with similar symptoms.