• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folate brought back Bartonella

Tiger Lily 813

After taking methylfolate (1mg) for 1.5 months, my bartonella symptoms came back from remission in full force and no longer respond to the treatment that I used a couple years ago that formerly got rid of it.

I stopped the methylfolate experiment 2 months ago when I noticed that it had a direct effect on the bartonella symptoms.

I did try some flushing niacin to undo the methylfolate, but that doesn't seem to help.

I was tested for potassium & am not low in it.

I am now working on fighting bartonella with many different methods, but no success yet & it still bothers me that the methylfolate brought it out and I can't figure out a way to rectify what I did. Any ideas? Thanks <3

Tiger Lily 813

@acrosstheveil I have tried some herbals and they weren't right for me. In the past, MMS took away all my symptoms, but doesn't work this time. I'm trying new things now too.

But I really want to know what I did methylation wise that would have caused this, and how to fix that problem. I have a feeling that the things I try against Bart. right now are failing because of this methylation issue I've gotten into.

caledonia

After taking methylfolate (1mg) for 1.5 months, my bartonella symptoms came back from remission in full force and no longer respond to the treatment that I used a couple years ago that formerly got rid of it.

I stopped the methylfolate experiment 2 months ago when I noticed that it had a direct effect on the bartonella symptoms.

I did try some flushing niacin to undo the methylfolate, but that doesn't seem to help.

I was tested for potassium & am not low in it.

I am now working on fighting bartonella with many different methods, but no success yet & it still bothers me that the methylfolate brought it out and I can't figure out a way to rectify what I did. Any ideas? Thanks <3

Were you also taking sublingual or injection B12? If you don't take B12 along with folate, it will cause methyl trapping and cause you to get worse. If that's case, niacin wouldn't do anything because you weren't methylating.

If you were taking B12, the other possibility is that you may actually require a much higher amount of folate, and lower amounts will cause you to go backwards. Quite a few people on here are reporting this.

Testing for potassium is tricky because it's only what's in the cells that counts. A blood test will just show what's floating around in the blood. My blood test was high normal while I'm actually deficient and need to supplement. I believe a hair test might be ok.

You won't require extra potassium if you were causing methyl trapping and thus not methylating.

Try reading the two documents in my signature "Start Low and Go Slow" and "Roadblocks to Successful Methylation" before proceeding.

Aerose91

Were you also taking sublingual or injection B12? If you don't take B12 along with folate, it will cause methyl trapping and cause you to get worse. If that's case, niacin wouldn't do anything because you weren't methylating.

Do you mean methyl B12 or regular B12?

caledonia

Do you mean methyl B12 or regular B12?

Short answer - yes.

Long answer, cyano (regular) doesn't convert as easily to a useable form (but some of it would still convert), hydroxy is a little better, methyl is the best. Adenosyl helps the mitochondria, but isn't really involved in methylation like the others. Although I think it's supposed to be possible for adenosyl to convert to methyl.

acrosstheveil

yea, my i noticed my lyme symptoms improve when i take a minimal dose of methylfolate rather than a larger dose. High dose iodine also helps tremendously. but, alas, still no "cure".