• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

'I don't need a pub - I've got a brewery in my BELLY'

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
'I don't need a pub - I've got a brewery in my BELLY': Teetotaller wakes up with hangover each day because of rare digestive disorder
  • Matthew Hogg has auto-brewery syndrome - an overgrowth of yeast in his small intestine produces ethanol from sugary and starchy foods
  • He is frequently 'drunk' and wakes up with a hangover every morning
  • Has to stick to a natural diet of meat, fish, vegetables and nuts
  • This does not eliminate his symptoms but reduces the problem
By EMMA INNES

PUBLISHED: 05:25 EST, 4 October 2013 | UPDATED: 05:27 EST, 5 October 2013

A man has told how he cannot stay sober - as everything he eats turns to alcohol.

Matthew Hogg suffers from a bizarre condition that causes his stomach to brew alcohol every time he tucks into a bag of crisps, sandwich or even a fizzy drink.

The 34-year-old was born with an in-body brewery that went undetected for 20 years meaning he spent years being 'drunk' after eating highly starchy or sugary foods - even when he was at primary school.

The strength of the alcohol his body produces is so powerful that he suffers a hangover every morning and has chronic alcohol poisoning and liver disease.

As a result, he is often bed-bound and suffers from exhaustion.

Teetotal Mr Hogg, of Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, said: ‘Every time I eat bread, potatoes or starchy rice I produce 100 per cent proof drinking alcohol that travels around my body through my bloodstream - if I eat a portion of rice I would suffer a hangover equivalent of having glugged three bottles of red wine the night before.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2443650/I-dont-need-pub--Ive-got-brewery-BELLY-Teetotaller-wakes-hangover-day-rare-digestive-disorder.html

Last edited:

GracieJ

I had "drunk disease" for over 20 years. My understanding of this is that when yeast dies, it produces 79 toxins. As the liver metabolizes those, it is the liver that produces alcohol from processing one of them. Whatever the mechanism, it is an awful way to live. I don't know how bad I was, having never had a drink in my life, but I felt drugged every morning as if someone had given me a shot of something. I was a single mom, mortgage, teens, getting to work by 8 am with the corporate rush. It was hell getting through it. My apologies to those who like alcohol, but I just do not understand why anyone would voluntarily drink alcohol!

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Care to share what steps you took to remedy the condition? Also, does it differ in any way from having a candida overgrowth or do you think it's basically just another label for the same ailment?

Last edited:

jimells

I have a gut brewery too. But instead of alcohol it brews gas, bloating, pain, and diarrhea. Like Mr Hogg, I have finally figured out that I have to minimize intake of carbohydrates. That means no grains (except for small quantities of tortilla chips), potatoes, most fruits, etc. I can tolerate one or two rice cakes, 1/4 apple, and so on.

I don't think I'm actually allergic to any particular food, but I have to keep the total amount of all carbs very low or the IBS gets bad.

GracieJ

Really radical detoxing* that I do not recommend for anyone with ME/CFS, but it did work. I follow a strict diet of meats, eggs, greens, nuts, and almost no grains, no simple carbs (except the occasional "cheat treat") and very little fruit; white cheese once a week. I was reacting to the carbs in vegetables as well, so had to cut way back and learn food composition well. Legumes are a sometimes food. The carb side is too much. Eating rice, even brown rice, is like taking a spoon and eating sugar. I have not been able to rebuild my gut, experiencing stomach pain with pre- and probiotics. It is a work in progress, but no more daily slogging through Jell-o on that one.

*hCG for weight loss. Read up for 5 years, realized the regimen would detox me successfully, and it did. Way too harsh a program for an ill person. Definitely broke the cycle, though.

I think it is a result of candida and gut dysbiosis. The Japanese supposedly were the first to connect the dots and call it drunk disease.