• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

excruciating back pain, cant move

i had a sudden onset of lower back pain around the tail bone starting about 5 days ago, i would have said it was mild to moderate and i'd be uncomfortable in a few positions. But today, It has suddenly become excruciating and have very few comfortable positions. Going from seated to standing has me cursing.

I cant remember lifting anything remotely heavy or getting myself into an awkward position. I have however gained a lot of wait in the past year(10kg on top of 10kg from the previous year) and my diet has not changed much at all, so it's pretty uncontrollable. I had been going through a pretty bad fatigue phase so I had not done much walking in the past weeks-months. But in the week leading up to this pain I probably walked a total of 2.5 hours in the space of a few days. I dont know if it has anything to do with it, i didnt feel any kind of pain when i was doing those long walks.

Gingergrrl

@lift Hoping you are feeling better now. I was wondering if you were not able to go to an ER, do you have a doctor that you can call re: your situation? I agree that sudden, severe pain should not be ignored.

Hip

If this excruciating pain originates in the muscles, it can be muscle spasm, which is caused by muscle inflammation. I've had such excruciating pains in my lower back — pain so severe that it would often make me fall to the floor.

Anti-inflammatories such a ibuprofen can be pretty effective at treating this type of muscle inflammation pain. Significant pain relief should kick in within an hour or two of taking ibuprofen.

DeGenesis

You can always try massage therapy if trigger points fit the bill - they often do for muscle pain. I'm going to be like a broken record around here soon always advocating trigger point therapy. Heck, you can do it yourself. You'll know pretty fast if it's going to help or not. Good pain vs. bad.