• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Researchers personal motivations

vli

Ron Davis - his son Whitney contracted it (severe case)

Ron Davis is a very senior geneticist at Stanford
Does anyone know how Ron Davis ended up on the IOM panel?? That is super intriguing to me.

Persimmon

Gerhard Gottfries
- Contracted ME/CFS himself (during the 1950s)

Lars Lagerstrand
- Contracted ME/CFS himself

Emeritus Professor Carl-Gerhard Gottfries (born 1928) was a professor of psychiatry and used to be chief physician of a substantial hospital in Sweden. His career has focused on the neuroscience of diseases affecting the brain.

His research into FM and ME/CFS has included testing long-term use of staphylococcus toxoid vaccine as a therapy; and an attempt to replicate the original XMRV-CFS finding.

He also established Sweden's major dedicated ME/CFS centre, the Gottfries Clinic.

That Clinic currently employs 6 medical doctors (4 with PhDs) and sees 2,500 ME/CFS and FM patients per year.

The CEO of the Clinic is Professor Johan Gottfries - I wonder whether he's Gerhard's son?

Lars Lagerstrand is a medical doctor and associate professor of clinical virology at Sweden's mighty Karolinska Institute. He has personally used Gottfries' vaccine therapy over a period of at least 8 years.

He is one of a group of Scandenavian doctors involved with Gottfries' research into FM and ME/CFS.

Last edited:

Helen

Thanks @Persimmon. Very interesting thread. Great job you are doing. All these researchers with personal motivations give hope.

Did you read somewhere about Olav Mella´s motivation?

Persimmon

Professor Alan Goodman - his wife has had it for 22 years.

Goodman is a biological anthropologist who initiated an event to motivate academics from both medical and non-medical disciplines to study and publish on ME/CFS. For further details, refer to the PR thread entitled "Massachusetts professors get pre-release screening of Forgotten Plague, go off to write papers".

@helen, sorry for being so slow to reply.

During a presentation Mella gave at the premiere of the film Perversely Dark, on 12 May 2014, he mentioned that his sister-in-law had been diagnosed with the disease as an adult. This presentation is available on youtube.
Deleder2k subsequently posted that this sister-in-law died before Mella and Flug had come up with their Rituximab treatment (refer PR thread entitled "Looking Ahead to obtaining Rituximab Treatment").

Last edited:

Helen

During a presentation Mella gave at the premiere of the film Perversely Dark, on 12 May 2014, he mentioned that his sister-in-law had been diagnosed with the disease as an adult. This presentation is available on youtube.
Deleder2k subsequently posted that this sister-in-law died before Mella and Flug had come up with their Rituximab treatment (refer PR thread entitled "Looking Ahead to obtaining Rituximab Treatment").
Thanks, Persimmon, you had already answered shortly in an earlier post, but I must have missed it due to my brain fog at that time. Too sad that she was so close to a trial with Rituximab that might have saved her life.