• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Took HCL while on Flagyl for H. Pylori - bad move? Triple therapy to follow (b. hominis).

Hi there,

I just came across some information which links heightened stomach acid to h. pylori & specifically mentions Betaine HCL as an antagonist of the bug. As fate would have it I just finished a course of flagyl which I took somewhat reluctantly to treat a bacterial infection in my gut (the name escapes me) & the h. pylori simultaneously. Does anyone know whether I could have potentially countered the possible positive effects of the treatment? I feel mildly improved - 5-10% in energy & overall sense of wellbeing - but I've heard h. pylori can be very persistent so I worry it may be fleeting.

The flagyl was also to target "small numbers" of b. hominis however I was advised that if I didn't feel "100%" after the flagyl then I was to do the triple therapy to treat this. I feel inclined to do this regardless of my small gain as I've heard b. hominis is extremely resilient & I suspect I only have low numbers of it due to my strict dietary regimen, fasts & parasite cleanses that I've done over the years. I also was wondering if anyone has any advice on how long I should wait to start the 10-day course triple therapy after finishing the flagyl?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

Mary

Moderator Resource
From what I read, low HCL is linked to h pylori - it thrives in low stomach acid, so I don't think taking HCL during a course of flagyl would be a bad thing at all, and actually it sounds like you could quite likely need to take HCL on an ongoing basis - it might help keep h pylori at bay.

I don't know anything about triple therapy. I do know that drugs in general because of all their "side effects'" (actual effects) scare me. I assume triple therapy is a 3-drug cocktail of some sort? Whenever possible I try to find alternative methods - e.g., food grade diatomaceous earth is supposed to be very effective against all sorts of parasites. You have to make sure it's food grade, not the stuff they sell for swimming pools. Also black walnut, ginger and wormwood are effective against some parasites, and pau d'arco is supposed to be good.

In my experience doctors just hand out drug after drug often creating havoc in their wake! Good luck -

Mary

Last edited:

Mij

@Boz86 I was treated for h.pylori years ago with triple therapy for 7 days. When I was retested 6 months after the therapy my result showed neither positive or negative but "undetermined".

Ive recently started taking this supplement rec'd by some on this board.

http://pepzingi.com/

Mij

I don't think taking HCL acid is a good idea while on triple therapy as this therapy includes a stomach acid reducer???

From what I read, low HCL is linked to h pylori - it thrives in low stomach acid, so I don't think taking HCL during a course of flagyl would be a bad thing at all, and actually it sounds like you could quite likely need to take HCL on an ongoing basis - it might help keep h pylori at bay.

I don't know anything about triple therapy. I do know that drugs in general because of all their "side effects'" (actual effects) scare me. I assume triple therapy is a 3-drug cocktail of some sort? Whenever possible I try to find alternative methods - e.g., food grade diatomaceous earth is supposed to be very effective against all sorts of parasites. You have to make sure it's food grade, not the stuff they sell for swimming pools. Also black walnut, ginger and wormwood are effective against some parasites, and pau d'arco is supposed to be good.

In my experience doctors just hand out drug after drug often creating havoc in their wake! Good luck -

Mary

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm totally adverse to pharmaceuticals too & feel antibiotics are partly why I'm in this mess to begin with. However I have done many rigorous cleanses (including parasite ones), fasts & what not over the years & yet these infections remain unscathed. I take wormwood, cloves, marshmallow root, turmeric, oil of oregano, pau d'arco etc regularly & my research shows that the natural approach doesn't work on bugs like b. hominis these days as they've developed resistant strains. I've also been taking fossil shell flour & myrh to no avail.

It is a drug cocktail so to speak of anti-protozoa & antibiotic drugs - yikes!

heyitisjustin

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm totally adverse to pharmaceuticals too & feel antibiotics are partly why I'm in this mess to begin with. However I have done many rigorous cleanses (including parasite ones), fasts & what not over the years & yet these infections remain unscathed. I take wormwood, cloves, marshmallow root, turmeric, oil of oregano, pau d'arco etc regularly & my research shows that the natural approach doesn't work on bugs like b. hominis these days as they've developed resistant strains. I've also been taking fossil shell flour & myrh to no avail.

It is a drug cocktail so to speak of anti-protozoa & antibiotic drugs - yikes!

Taking that many antibiotic things (like pau d'arco) will kill good bacteria. I would also take pro/prebiotics to populate the gut and do whatever else you can to make the gut environment favor good bacteria (e.g. make the gut acidic with HCL). Otherwise you will kill all but the strongest of your biome and those remaining nasties will take over.

frederic83

I took sulforaphane (Broccomax or another broccoli extract) for my H.Pylori. 10 pills straight, my stomach gurgled and the H.Pylori never came back. I'm a bit barbarian, so a few pills for a few days will work. No side effect for me. And it is natural.