• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@madietodd As I understand it, resistant starch is not high in carbos, so it is compatible.

@Ripley What are the ORGANIC sources of all these resistant starches? I don't eat commercially grown anything. There are too many toxins in our food already without adding more by eating pesticided/fungicided food.

And btw.. potatoes are in the DIRTY DOZEN of the most heavily pesticide sprayed foods. In fact they are so heavily sprayed that potato farmers will not eat them, and will create separate plots where they will grown their own UN-sprayed potatoes. I don't think it is a good idea to eat PS that is NOT ORGANIC. http://veggierevolution.blogspot.com/2010/10/experts-avoid-nonorganic-potatoes.html

FN_RReardin_29Aug.jpg

What's interesting is that I crave green bananas and eat them regularly. They are hard to peel, but I like their tartness and astringency on my tongue. Not sure if that is enough RS, but it works for me.

Last edited:

maddietod

@Dreambirdie: I talk about parboiled rice because it's reputed to have the highest RS.

I can't use the carb-free potato starch. Cooked and cooled rice and legumes have very significant carbs.

Asklipia

Has anyone been using TMG (trimethylglycine) to try lower the irritation due to LPS?

I mention this because I noticed a very nice such effect by eating a big beetroot salad :
2 big boiled (in their skin) beetroots + juice of a lemon + a good dash of olive oil + 2 raw cloves of garlic in very small pieces + a handful of parsley + salt.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just restarted PS ten days ago after a gap, and, argh! :woot: I'm! :woot: Feeling! :woot: Very! :woot: Wired! :woot:

And it's my bedtime in an hour.

Anything I can do? This is not a normal symptom for me. I'd like to be able to get to sleep tonight!

:woot::woot::woot::woot::eek:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Hip mentioned to me on another thread that a lot of people had switched from PS to LAG.

I vaguely remember some very informative posts mid-thread summarising some of this stuff but it's lost in the mists of time. Every now and again it seems to me that such posts have cropped up and then receded in the rearview mirror.

Do we need a sticky thread just to act as a repository for key posts, with no discussion allowed? If so, does anyone have the faintest clue where those posts are?

Crux,

How are you dong on RS 2?
I just joined this forum and find it very interesting.
I have gut issues that need to be fixed. My gut is a mess after 2-3 years on ALA for mercury chelation.
The mobilized Hg killed off more of my good bacteria.

Last edited:

Aileen

@Hip mentioned to me on another thread that a lot of people had switched from PS to LAG.

I vaguely remember some very informative posts mid-thread summarising some of this stuff but it's lost in the mists of time. Every now and again it seems to me that such posts have cropped up and then receded in the rearview mirror.

Do we need a sticky thread just to act as a repository for key posts, with no discussion allowed? If so, does anyone have the faintest clue where those posts are?
Many are lurking in this thread. Have fun sorting through 97 pages!!! I need to do this but get overwhelmed before I finish the first couple pages. :nervous:

Several weeks, or was it months? ago I tried to start several threads each looking at just one family of probiotics or one prebiotic. I thought if we could gather the info in one place. But I can't do this myself, my brain just refuses. :cry: I was hoping it would become a group effort but I guess other people were not interested or, like me, were unable.

Crux

Hi @Lukey ,

I've been hoping I could quietly recede from here, but I'm feeling kind of guilty.:redface:

I ended up having to stop the potato starch - RS2, and most other starches for a time. I began to show signs of SIBO. ( small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.)

In fact, I began to have symptoms of infection/inflammation in my sinuses and lower intestines.

I'm an example of someone with a 'messed up gut'.

I believe that starch can feed beneficial as well as pathogenic bacteria, and that care should be taken with this experiment here at Phoenix Rising, because many of the symptoms we're having are coming from the gut. I write this because, my symptoms included a return of neuropathy, IBS, insomnia, brain fog, etc. ( I know that not everyone here has the same cluster of symptoms, but we do share many.)

I think a simplified explanation of why I had a return of neurological symptoms, is that the bloom of bacterial growth produced a lot of acids. My body doesn't utilize them very well, nor does it neutralize or dispose of them either. I haven't had any tests for elevated lactate, etc., but I've reacted to other acids in the same way. ( vinegars, fermented foods, etc.)

From what I've observed, it seems that the people who have a positive experience with the resistant starches have first reduced any bacterial overgrowth, whether in the gut, or even lungs, sinuses, etc. ( This usually involves some treatment, anti-microbial, etc., and dietary changes.) Of course, healthy folks may have no side effects with the PS.

I'm unsure about chelation treatment, ALA, and its destruction of beneficial bacteria, but I don't doubt it - it's strong. ( I remember reading that a healthy gut aids the disposal of heavy metals. Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride.)

Are you having any fermented foods/beverages with living cultures? I think it would be good to try some. Do you have any reactions to specific foods? Starchy ones?

The PS has been described as a 'litmus test' for gut health. I agree. If someone wants to try it, start with a very low dose. Even 1/4 tsp. daily.

Crux

Just restarted PS ten days ago after a gap, and, argh! :woot: I'm! :woot: Feeling! :woot: Very! :woot: Wired! :woot:

And it's my bedtime in an hour.

Anything I can do? This is not a normal symptom for me. I'd like to be able to get to sleep tonight!

:woot::woot::woot::woot::eek:

Hi @Sasha ,

I hope you're sleeping now, but, I thought I would write that the past few nights, I've been having a banana (ripe), before bed, and sleep has really gotten better. ( I think the PS may lower blood glucose in some people.)

Many are lurking in this thread. Have fun sorting through 97 pages!!! I need to do this but get overwhelmed before I finish the first couple pages. :nervous:

I know what you mean. I didn't realize at first that it's 97 pages. :)

Hi @Crux

I'm sorry to hear you had to get off RS.

I don't think I have bacterial over growth, I just have a lack of good bacteria that ALA caused, and then Lauricidin also seems to have made worse. I quit Lauricidin a week or so ago, after finding out that that too can chelate after it's done it's job of dissolving lipid coated virii.

I ferment foods often and make 24 hour SCD yogurt, kvass, and kraut. I have to say that I seem to get no benefit from them. The same with anti fungals. I take Oregano oil to see if I can get rid of Hep C that I've had for 32 years, but it does nothing for me in terms of improving my health. I also take GSE and sometimes SF722, and I take garlic daily, lots of coconut oil. The ALA really killed off the good bac, is what I think. I just bought $90 worth of CP-1 probiotic and a bottle of Biofase (which I'm afraid I may not need at all, just another of my long shot tries to change), then I was told that it dies 3 weeks after I stop taking it. Each capsule is 60 billion. I'm really hoping to find a way to fix my GI tract without having to spend a fortune on probiotics. I guess I misunderstood his website, either that or he likes to rook people into buying from him.

I'd love it if RS can get me to absorb probiotics in SCD yogurt, kraut, etc., because right now I think I could eat a whole jar of both and not notice any benefit from it. I don't want to pay a fortune for probiotics, I can't afford it. I haven't worked in 14 years, other than an internet sales thing I had a few years ago..

My symptoms have been driving me crazy. I tried taking Yerba Prima Daily Fiber Formula last week, and it really screwed up my GI tract. I can only tolerate cruciferous vegs (except cauliflower), onion, nuts, seeds, meat, eggs, raw milk cheese, Ezekiel bread, Canned org tomato, olives, coconut, marinated artichokes, and that's about it. If I eat carrot, celery, etc., the eczema on my scalp goes crazy immediately. What a mess it is, and I keep getting interested in new supps almost every day, and buying things for 100s of dollars. I just want to fix this. Sometimes I try things for a day or two and then give up on it because I don't see any benefit. With the eczema, I get mucus in stools. I get no die off from garlic, SF722, Berberine, GSE, or oil of oregano. I think I could take that stuff by the case and not get die off from it.
I bought a pint of FG 35% h2o2 last week, then decided not to take it after all, so I guess I'll dilute it to 3% and use it to clean my veggies in the sink.

I read a lot about RS today, at least as much as I could get my overloaded brain to absorb. I'm very interested in it and will try it -- slowly. It was also suggested that I eat more carb, so I'm adding more Ezekiel bread, which I seem to do fine on, despite many that tell me to avoid gluten, any grain, and any starch such as potato. I was eating Sweet Potato before I chelated, but ALA made me have to quit very many good foods. I used to eat lots of fruit too, too much. Pulling Mercury through my GI tract killed my flora, I think. It did good things to my head but correcting my gut is what I've got do now. I'm 63. I hope I have some time left after I've healed my gut, if I do.

I'm going to go with this site and eat more carbs via some grain and maybe my old friend white potato.. I used to do fine on white organic potatoes until someone said high carbs cause you to age faster so I went low carb about 6 months ago, but now am having 2nd thoughts about that theory, at least for me and my gut rebuilding efforts.

I take a lot of supps, or, at least I have tried a LOT of them. I had a HTMA a month ago and am trying to balance my minerals. That should do me good over the long term but my gut issues need attention of their own.

I wouldn't be surprised if taking PS / RS does my GI tract a lot of good. I love the fact that it's only $4 a pound. I will work hard at making that work in my favor. At least we are keeping an open mind and are open to new ideas.

Last edited:
I'd say my immune system and overall health -- in spite of my GI mess, are in very good shape. I don't get the flu or colds ever. I do seem to feel better on dry air days, better than I do in really humid weather. I live in East TN, USA.

Asklipia

What about using the "search" function? Just look for arabinogalactan and you will presto find these posts!
Good luck!

A few days ago I bought 2 bottles of CP-1 probiotic with 60 billions per capsule, and a bottle of Biofase. I think I'm going to send the CP-1 back and get Prescript Assist so I'll be more in line to benefit from potato starch.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi @Sasha ,

I hope you're sleeping now, but, I thought I would write that the past few nights, I've been having a banana (ripe), before bed, and sleep has really gotten better. ( I think the PS may lower blood glucose in some people.)

Thanks! Amazingly, it turned out to be a normal night's sleep, though I didn't bother going to bed until an hour later than usual.

That's interesting about the banana, though. I might give that a go, as my sleep isn't great in general. How long did it take for you to notice an effect? The same night you first ate a banana?

adreno

PR activist
I can vouch for a banana before bed improves sleep. Something to do with the tryptophan content as well. Perhaps the combination of carbs, RS, tryptophan and potassium is just great for sleep.

Last edited: