• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic variants (SNPs) Interpretation Guide

caledonia

A couple of +/- might be enough to do it.

You can try reducing the amount you take and see if you can find a balancing point where it helps your stomach but doesn't give you the bad effects.

Or you may have to wait until you can move onto the Second Priority mutations, where it should take care of itself.

Peyt

actually I used to take sunflower lecithin which is what's recommended for BHMT and I remember it would always have a calming effect on me, I am going to try the HCL with sunflower lecithin this time and see what happens. I still have 1/2 bottle left that I was trying out last year, it's the NOW brand. Thanks for all your good work.

Peyt

Hi Caledonia, I am looking at Part 2 of your attachment. I don't see any of those SNP's on my 23andme or Yasko test results... is there another test for the detox snps?

Peyt

@Peyt - The ACAT SNPs listed by Yasko and in the Genetic Genie report have no research showing that they have any impact at all. If worried about ACAT gene function, I've got a list of the known missense mutations at http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-acat1-and-acat2-variations.24494/ which can be looked up manually in your 23andMe results.
You may be correct about research, but it certainly applies to my case! I have no doubt it is impacting my life.

Peyt

Thanks so much Caledonia,
So I have these 3 genes as +/+:
CYP1A2
CYP1B1 L432V
CYP1B1 R48G

and this one as +/-
CYP1B1 N453S
CYP2C9*2 C430T
CYP2D6 S486T
CYP2D6 100C>T
CYP2E1*1B 9896C>G
CYP2E1*4 4768G>A
GSTP1 I105V
SOD2 A16V
NAT2 R197Q
NAT2 G286E

I don't see as many supplement recommendations in this part of the interpretation guide, is this part still in the works?
May I ask if you have any supplement recommendations for me to try? Currently I take selenium for detox, but I notice sometimes it gives me headaches.... I also see a recommendation for Calcium d‐glucarate, but I have traditionally done poorly with calcium supplements, not sure if this form of calcium is different than the usual calcium that is sold in general health food stores....Your thoughts and comments are very much appreciated.

caledonia

I don't see as many supplement recommendations in this part of the interpretation guide, is this part still in the works?
May I ask if you have any supplement recommendations for me to try? Currently I take selenium for detox, but I notice sometimes it gives me headaches.... I also see a recommendation for Calcium d‐glucarate, but I have traditionally done poorly with calcium supplements, not sure if this form of calcium is different than the usual calcium that is sold in general health food stores....Your thoughts and comments are very much appreciated.

That's all the info there is. The detox genes aren't really part of the methylation cycle per se, but they have everything to do with glutathione, the body's main antioxidant and detoxifier.

Glutathione is a real biggie, because as ME/CFS researcher Rich Van Konynenburg hypothesized, glutathione depletion causes the symptoms of ME/CFS. So anything you can do to preserve or raise glutathione will be helpful for treatment.

Avoiding the toxins you might have trouble with according to your genes can help take a load off glutathione. This will help preserve glutathione.

Besides your various detox SNPs, you also have two important genes that affect glutathione and energy production.

GSTP will cause lower glutathione on top of the other reasons why you might have low glutathione. You can support this via methylation treatment which will raise glutathione.

SOD2 can affect the mitochondria and thus energy. Mito supps or direct SOD supports may be helpful, until you get methylation going enough that your body can take over.

=-=-=-==-
Killing off bad gut bugs and doing methylation treatment will release metals (and other bad things you may have squirreled away in your tissues). You may not need to do a specific detox for metals outside of that.

I was having trouble with selenium, even as low as what's in one Brazil nut, at one point until my mercury came out via methylation treatment. So my suggestion would be to avoid selenium or keep the dose low enough that you don't get headaches.

=-=-=-=-=
I don't know about the calcium d-glucarate, but general health food store vitamins may have all kinds of fillers. You may actually be reacting to a filler and not the actual active ingredient. A better brand with less fillers might be better tolerated.

Peyt

Thanks so much for your reply. You know I took Glutathione for a few days but did not see any improvements or side effects, wonder if I should have given it more time.

Are there any supplements specifically offered Dr. Yasko or Dr. Lynch for Mito supps or direct SOD supports?

Is COQ10 one that could be used for this purpose?

Last edited:

caledonia

Thanks so much for your reply. You know I took Glutathione for a few days but did not see any improvements or side effects, wonder if I should have given it more time.

Are there any supplements specifically offered Dr. Yasko or Dr. Lynch for Mito supps or direct SOD supports?

Is COQ10 one that could be used for this purpose?

Here's one from Yasko - it has a lot of other stuff in it besides straight mito supps. I assume those are co-factors. http://www.holisticheal.com/mitoforce-mitochondrial-support.html

Here's a SOD supp from Ben Lynch: http://www.seekinghealth.com/sod-60-vegetarian-capsules-seeking-health.html

Co Q10 is one of the mito supps.

Peyt

Here's one from Yasko - it has a lot of other stuff in it besides straight mito supps. I assume those are co-factors. http://www.holisticheal.com/mitoforce-mitochondrial-support.html

Here's a SOD supp from Ben Lynch: http://www.seekinghealth.com/sod-60-vegetarian-capsules-seeking-health.html

Co Q10 is one of the mito supps.

Wow, thanks so much... I will definitely look into the SOD from Dr. Lynch... the Mito force contains milk and ox bile so I am just gonna stick to coq10 for mito support.

ahmo

@Peyt please be cautious w/ supplementing glutathione directly. Many have had negative results. I don't have any clarifying info to offer you, you'd have to search. Fred and some others trialled it a few years ago. There is a thread posted in the last day from someone who can't move following a glutathione IV.:eek:

Peyt

@Peyt please be cautious w/ supplementing glutathione directly. Many have had negative results. I don't have any clarifying info to offer you, you'd have to search. Fred and some others trialled it a few years ago. There is a thread posted in the last day from someone who can't move following a glutathione IV.:eek:

That's so interesting you say that.... I feel l do better with Selenium... for example, I easily get cold sores. The last time I got a tingling feeling in my mouth(which is a sign it's coming) I tried some glutathione which did nothing... after a few days I tried Selenium and it cleared it up in 2 days! ... The only problem I used to have with Selenium is that it sometimes gave me headaches which I have a feeling it has to do with being an overmethylator.... Us overmethylators are very low in Histamine, and Histamine makes blood vessels dilate and thus ensures adequate blood flow to the body including the head and shoulders. Recently though, I started Niacinamide and I don't get any more headaches... So now I can take Selenium.... Another option besides Selenium is Milk thistle which also gave me headaches in the past, but now that I am using Niacinamide I can give it another try.... if you know of any other supplements let me know. thanks

Critterina

Hello again, since I put up my last post I have learned that Betaine is a methyl donor... that explains why it helped with stomach acid and fat digestion but caused agitation and anger in my case... I am Comt +/+ on both Comt genes and therefore an over-methylator with excess dopamine and norepinephrine... so now my question is, is there anyway to increase the stomach acid without having to use a methyl donor? oddly enough, I have tried lemon juice which works but causes the same side effects for me .... I guess I am stuck at step 1!
Peyt,

It seems there is a little confusion here. There are two things: "Betaine HCl", which increases stomach acid and no, you can't just take HCl, hydrochloric acid. And "Betaine (anhydrous)" also called trimethylglycine, which is a methyl donor and helps the BHMT cycle to use up homocysteine by turning it into methionine.

Hope this helps.

Peyt

Peyt,

It seems there is a little confusion here. There are two things: "Betaine HCl", which increases stomach acid and no, you can't just take HCl, hydrochloric acid. And "Betaine (anhydrous)" also called trimethylglycine, which is a methyl donor and helps the BHMT cycle to use up homocysteine by turning it into methionine.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your post and letting me know of this,
It made me read up a little more on Betaine HCl vs. Betaine anhydrous, and from the info I am getting, both Betaine HCl and Betaine anhydrous contain TMG, it's just that Betaine HCl is diluted with additional HCI. So I guess Betaine HCl still has TMG and thus is a methyl donor, it's just that it has less TMG per gram than Betaine anhydrous.

Anyways, it's been 2 days since I started to take Sunflower Lecithin with every meal that I take HCI and I am experiencing 80% reduced anger and agitation.... In fact I feel too calm today! :)

Peyt

Caledonia,
I see on your interpretation guide (detox profile section) you have a SNP called GSTT1. But I don't see that on my 23andme Detox Profile. Which test are you seeing this on? thanks

ahmo

@Peyt Not sure of others. I began high doses Se, inc, w/ mang, molybd, when I uncovered pyroluria. Sorry, my brain is too tired to look really closely at your lst posts, and I don't know much about the detox SNPs. Sounds like in the opposite camp to you, I have to do all I can to decrease histamine. The only thing I know about milkthistle at this point is that it's high sulfur (thiol). ciao.

Hi - thank you so much for creating this document for us newbies! I understand a little more now and am starting at the beginning. you said to fix CBS you followed...
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI.Nutrigenomics.htm
but the link isn't right so I am not sure what you did!?
And I think I read that you used your own supplements rather than the Yasko ones as they are expensive?
What supplements and where did you get them?!
I keep reading that you need to take a multi vitamin or mineral - but so far I have not been able to take any vitamin C, zinc or B's without a problem and I don't understand why but I seem to be the only person I know that can't take magnesium - it just totally wired me up and i don't sleep!
what do I start with for CBS? sorry for being so dim!
Thank you again for all your hard work!
Kind regards
Nicola