• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you feed yourself?

Misfit Toy

Simple meals.

Shrimp and a fresh veggie.
Steak and asparagus
Chicken and green beans
A stew...love stew.
A pot of fresh chicken soup and I make it with a whole huge chicken. Lasts a month.

Buy organic nitrate free hotdogs, gluten free meals you heat up, Udi's bread.

I love Five Guys, Pei Wei and Carraba's because they have a gluten free menu.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
If you can get winter squash that were not picked green, they are simple to cook in the oven or microwave.

rosie26

I make a big pan of chicken soup once a week and it from eat twice or thrice a day.

I make it in steps:
1 put chicken in water with salt and vinegar and put on low heat. Lay on couch.
2 cut up sellery stalks with scissors, put in colander, rinse. Lay on couch
3 chop up ginger, place on top of sellery. Place paper towel on chopping plate. Lay on couch.
4 scoop scum from chicken in water and place it on paper towel. This is the hard part since you have to be up and standing at a prefixed time: just before the water boils.
5 put in sellery and ginger. Let boil and simmer for hours. Lay on couch all that time.

This is all I put in the soup. It's nutritious, the gelatine from the bones is very good for the intestines.
Having to scoop the scum is stressful, makes me cry sometimes. But it's important. The scum are big proteines your intestines can't cope with and it makes the soup taste not-good.

The big pan lives in the fridge during the week. I take out big spoons full and have them in a small pan to heat up. Microwave would work too but I'm superstitious about that machine.

Yesterday I sat on the couch listening to yet another mouse scratching in the kitchen walls... only to realize it was my little pan of soup boiling.

Besides the soup I eat chocolate ganache, whipped cream, full fat butter and sometimes rice and chips. Fish stew every other week. I'm on the mend.
I made your Chicken Soup up last week @WoolPippi :D I have put half in the fridge and half in the freezer. I am having a cup each day and I feel it's goodness. I think I will experiment with adding a bit more ginger next time. Thanks, nice and easy to make. I will keep making this one.

I nearly forgot - I scooped off most of the chicken fat when the soup cooled, do you use it for anything or do you just throw it out?

GracieJ

Steak and green salad topped with red peppers, olives, sunflower seeds, and a squeeze of lime.

Turkey with pepper jack cheese, wrapped in green lettuce.

A handful of almonds, a banana, and an avocado.

Scrambled eggs for breakfast. Homemade hash browns or a baked potato with it sometimes for a treat.

Beef pot roast drowning in onions. Easy to make, slice off chunks to freeze. My "fast food."

An occasional shrimp stir-fry with a variety of veggies.

Sensitivity to simple carbs and fructose limit me. Nearly all fruits are off limits. So are many veggies. Grains are a big mistake except small amounts of brown rice and forbidden rice. Chicken became a problem because of corn allergy - finding affordable free range chicken is not always possible.

As long as I stick to high protein, high fat, low carb as recommended by metabolic testing, I do well.

Last edited:
We got a slow-cooker (Crock Pot) last week, so I can do the prep when I'm feeling better early in the day. So far I've made four one-pot wonders, and my fiance is making Dutch split pea soup today :)

So far I've made in it:
Red curry with chicken and boiling (not baking) potatoes.
Lamb with red wine sauce and rice mush.
Pork with potatoes and mustard sauce.
Green Peanut Curry with pork and rice.

I typically start with the sauce, and maybe leave it on high for a bit to melt the coconut milk/fat. Then I add spices, including curry sauce when needed, though I brighten it up with more of the nicer ingredients (garlic paste, ginger paste, lemongrass paste, dried cilantro, dried basil, veggie mix with chili peppers). And lots of salt :D

Then I throw in meat immediately. Then potatoes go in at the start, or rice & water about an hour before dinner time. Then pre-chopped mixed veggies about half an hour before dinner.

It's worked out pretty well. Except when I added the rice at the very start once :p But basically I'm doing the hard part early in the day, then just throwing ingredients in during the early evening when I'm wiped out.

Last edited:

brenda

Breakfast

chia porridge - chia seeds soaked overnight in coconut milk with ground flax seeds, vanilla powder, mac powder. Wheat grass juice (powder mixed with water).

Lunch

Boiled chicken and salad including bottled artichoke and grated beetroot plus potato salad sometimes.

Buckwheat squares with carob and cocao butter and coconut nectar topping.

Camu powder

Tea

Chicken broth lentil soup.
Slice buckwheat and rice bread with home made chicken liver pate.

Herxing on this and healing including reversal of peripheral neurophathy.

Herxing on this and healing including reversal of peripheral neurophathy.
Are any of those items antibiotics? A herxheimer reaction isn't just a negative reaction to something presumed helpful. It's a specific immune reaction (fevers, hypotension, etc) triggered when spirochete bacteria such as Syphilis and Lyme are killed off and they release endotoxins. I haven't heard of any those foods or powders killing spirochetes.

brenda

I am sure that candida is dying as my ears have become much less itchy and vaginal discharge (clear) has ceased. I have quit fruit and sugar to lower glucose levels.

WoolPippi

I made your Chicken Soup up last week @WoolPippi :D I have put half in the fridge and half in the freezer. I am having a cup each day and I feel it's goodness. I think I will experiment with adding a bit more ginger next time. Thanks, nice and easy to make. I will keep making this one.

I nearly forgot - I scooped off most of the chicken fat when the soup cooled, do you use it for anything or do you just throw it out?
Oooh, I'm chuffed I contributed something good :)
Yes, more ginger! I roll my eyes at how much I put in nowadays.

Your question about the fat: I only scoop off the foam, not the fat. I believe the fat is good. (It often looks gross when it's cooled, all yellow. It may upset your stomach and make your nauscious. Acid will help: lemon juice, diluted vinegar or HCL.

I think fesh koriander might me nice too. Also cooked rice. Enjoy your soup ;)

rosie26

Oooh, I'm chuffed I contributed something good :)
Yes, more ginger! I roll my eyes at how much I put in nowadays.

Your question about the fat: I only scoop off the foam, not the fat. I believe the fat is good. (It often looks gross when it's cooled, all yellow. It may upset your stomach and make your nauscious. Acid will help: lemon juice, diluted vinegar or HCL.

I think fesh koriander might me nice too. Also cooked rice. Enjoy your soup ;)

I don't mind a bit of fat either. The only thing is I drink a lot of milk, so I do get quite a bit of fat in my diet. I might just let a wee bit more fat go into my soup :D

Looking forward to trying a bit more ginger in the soup. I put in half a bunch of celery. I might add lots more water next time and add a whole bunch. Like the idea of adding cooked rice. :)

Last edited: