• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Headache after exercise

I have had this since I got sick. If I try to exercise a little I get headache during the training and for the rest of the day. Today I jogged/walked for 10 minutes along my 3-year-old who ride a tricycle.

Anyone else got this? Any idea what causes it? It is not low blood pressure as I measured it and it always is normal.

snowathlete

I got this, back when I could exercise. Not sure what it is exactly though I found aspirin beforehand helped void the problem so much.

Kati

Patient in training
My response for you would be to not push yourself. A headache during and after exercise is a sign telling you you are doing too much, and it is too high intensity. Listen to your body! (Of course our head wants to do more) Try 10 minutes of slower walking, with sitting pause halfway, and see how your body tolerates.

Dr Light's paper shows that our body's chemestry changes when we patient with ME exercise (gene alteration paper) and this is particularily true for aerobic type of exercise.

best, Kati

acouchy

Unwilling ME/CFS Participant Since 1996
When I first became ill 17 years ago I used to get bad tension headaches immediately after lifting weights. To this day I do not know why. I had to sell my beautiful weight bench... which still makes me sad. :( Tried running and it was a bad experience. Then I tried cycling... 48 hours after my longest ride ever I had a migraine that lasted for 7 days straight. No amount of Advil or Tylenol helped. After that ride I had many 7 day migraines. One month I spent 21 days laying in a dark quiet room. 3 years later and after lots of rest and very little physical activity I am slowly beginning to recover from having bad migraines.

I agree with Kati. You need to figure out what your limit is and do not push past it. I learned the hard way that further, faster and harder is not possible with this illness. I am learning to be happy with what I can do. I wish I knew this truth about this illness before I over did it.

optimist

Some people might start getting tired of me saying this, but have you tried 1/2 teaspoon of salt with a glass of water before exercise?