• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Laptop Screens and Eye Stress

Kenshin

Internet browsing for long periods is stressful on the eyes, especially when reading,
also it can mess with our brain chemistry (the screen stops melatonin production at night), very bad for people with chronic illness.

I thought Id share a couple tips to minimize the damage...

- Get a laptop with a "matte" screen, they are much easier on the eye, plus they have none of the annoying reflections.
Most laptop screens and monitors are "glossy", which makes them look shiny in the shop window, but aren't so great for actual use, luckily you can easily find matte screen laptops from online retailers.

- Get a screen dimmer program, late at night I find the windows screen brightness doesn't go low enough, but you can download free programs that allow you to control the brightness to a much greater degree.
The one I use is called "dimmer" and is very simple to use.

Hope that helps
icon_cool.gif

Good suggestions.

I adjust the brightness on my screen depending on my visual sensitivity which seems to be quite variable. I also have a plug-in on chrome that allows me to change whatever website I am on to gray scale when I can't take any brightness at all.

"Internet browsing for long periods is stressful on the eyes, especially when reading"
I guess it did also something else like overwhelming the "information channels" cause Im very wired after surfing the net for information. that sucks cause this is the only way i can get real information for my condition.
I sometimes copy all the info in a file and put it on my ereader and it seems better.
I also use f.lux and it helps but the best way for me is to stop it at night/evening cause make my brain wants more information...cant stop :)

Kenshin

Good suggestions.

I adjust the brightness on my screen depending on my visual sensitivity which seems to be quite variable. I also have a plug-in on chrome that allows me to change whatever website I am on to gray scale when I can't take any brightness at all.

Haven't tried grayscale will check it out.

I use f.lux.

I just googled f.lux it looks good, it seems to change color settings as well as brightness and do it on a timer?

"Internet browsing for long periods is stressful on the eyes, especially when reading"
I guess it did also something else like overwhelming the "information channels" cause Im very wired after surfing the net for information. that sucks cause this is the only way i can get real information for my condition.
I sometimes copy all the info in a file and put it on my ereader and it seems better.
I also use f.lux and it helps but the best way for me is to stop it at night/evening cause make my brain wants more information...cant stop :)

Yes I feel restless after info surfing, and physically "tight", I find stretching and fresh air helps with that.

I use a program called pocket that sends web pages direct to my e reader, very handy,
or you can do it manually by pasting into a txt file Im sure you know that though. :)

adreno

PR activist
I just googled f.lux it looks good, it seems to change color settings as well as brightness and do it on a timer?
Yes, it makes the color warmer (reducing the blue rays that mess up melatonin) when the sun sets (based on your location).

Kenshin

Just dloaded flux....This thing is awesome! Just playing around with the options....

Sidereal

I use f.lux and blue blocker glasses at night. No problem with melatonin production since I started that.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Somewhere on this site there is something like a "test photo" that you can look at with your blue blockers to see if you have the "real deal." Mine failed the test!:(

Hip

Anyone used a Mac computer or laptop with a "Retina" display (monitor)? These Retina displays have twice the number of pixels per inch compared to regular displays, and the text on Retina displays looks as sharp and crisp as printed text. But I have only seen these displays briefly in a shop; I wondered if anyone has a Retina display Mac at home, and if so, would you say this display is easier to read?

belize44

I just installed Dimmer. It is perfect for all the typing I do as I have been finding the brightness to be too much on my eyes.

acer2000

Anyone used a Mac computer or laptop with a "Retina" display (monitor)? These Retina displays have twice the number of pixels per inch compared to regular displays, and the text on Retina displays looks as sharp and crisp as printed text. But I have only seen these displays briefly in a shop; I wondered if anyone has a Retina display Mac at home, and if so, would you say this display is easier to read?

Yeah I have used one. It makes a difference. I prefer reading on a Retina display.

I also use f.lux. I prefer the "classic" mode.

rosie26

I installed f.lux yesterday. I really didn't like it at first - it was too much all of a sudden. But I did get use to it after a hour and I do like it. I couldn't see any options but I will spend more time and try and find them in the next week. It just came on now as I am typing lol. I have it on slow to come on which is much better than last nights fast.