• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

alpha-ketoglutarate levels?

Kimsie

Mary shared her labs with me and it turns out that her alpha-ketoglutarate levels were high. I have been researching and it turns out that high alpha-ketoglutarate levels can inhibit ATP synthase (which makes ATP) at least in non-human studies, so this may or may not be true in humans.

I was wondering if any others here have had high alpha-ketoglutarate levels?

Thanks,
Kim

alex3619

Processing of alpha ketoglutarate requires NAD. There are whole threads devoted to the NAD problem.

See the Krebs cycle here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Citric_acid_cycle_with_aconitate_2.svg

aKG is on the lower right of the cycle.

I suspect the coenzyme A is critically dependent on the methylation cycle working, expecially the path leading to glutathione.

I have not had this tested in a decade and a half. I will have to see if I can find my old testing.

Kimsie

Processing of alpha ketoglutarate requires NAD. There are whole threads devoted to the NAD problem.

See the Krebs cycle here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Citric_acid_cycle_with_aconitate_2.svg

aKG is on the lower right of the cycle.

I suspect the coenzyme A is critically dependent on the methylation cycle working, expecially the path leading to glutathione.

I have not had this tested in a decade and a half. I will have to see if I can find my old testing.
That would be great if you still have it.

I have been having a long conversation with Mary about NAD and how to increase it. Maybe I should share my ideas now, or maybe I should wait until Mary has a chance to test them. I believe that in CFS alpha-ketoglutarate is inhibited by high NADH levels due to inhibition of the electron transport chain. This would be true whether the AKG is high or low, but it might be that the people with higher AKG have worse symptoms.

alex3619

That would be great if you still have it.

I have been having a long conversation with Mary about NAD and how to increase it. Maybe I should share my ideas now, or maybe I should wait until Mary has a chance to test them. I believe that in CFS alpha-ketoglutarate is inhibited by high NADH levels due to inhibition of the electron transport chain. This would be true whether the AKG is high or low, but it might be that the people with higher AKG have worse symptoms.

If people with higher aKG have worse symptoms we might be able to find an indicator of that with a poll.