• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain in calf muscles and legs waking me up at night

There is acute and chronic Compartment Syndrome. Acute is a medical emergency and usually occurs due to a traumatic injury. Chronic compartment syndrome is characterised by tightness and a type of ache (sometimes pins and needles), and tends to be an overuse injury that improves with rest. Both are usually located in the calf muscles (can be another compartment of the lower leg eg. deep posterior compartment).

"What Happens in Compartment Syndrome?
Groups of organs or muscles are organized into areas called compartments. Strong webs of connective tissue called fascia form the walls of these compartments.

After an injury, blood or edema (fluid resulting from inflammation or injury) may accumulate in the compartment. The tough walls of fascia cannot easily expand, and compartment pressure rises, preventing adequate blood flow to tissues inside the compartment." (abstract from wedmd)

What is important to remember is that healthy athletic people also can get symptoms in the calf muscles, because the body is structurally prone to blood and fluid getting trapped in triceps surae muscle compartment... and this happens because of fascia.

;) hope that helps

Last edited:

Tired of being sick

The last few nights, I have been woken up by pain in my calf muscles and a feeling like my legs need to move. I always have bruises on my calves but not sure this is related. I don't think it is Restless Leg Syndrome b/c I don't feel like anything is crawling on me and it does not happen every night. I've tried putting heat or ice on it and also taking salt stick tablets in the middle of the night but it doesn't seem to help much. What do others do for this?
This one is simple...

Claudation while laying in bed due to lack of blood flow/volume...

Or you could have PAD but I highly doubt this since you have dysautonomia..

Only way to fix this is to make more blood meaning saline IV every 48 hours........

Gingergrrl

@Tired of being sick Long story re: the IV saline and I talked about it in my IV saline thread and cardio thread. I don't want to bore everyone to death talking about it again! If I were on my computer I could post link to the other threads but don't know how to do that on my phone.