• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Hip

Abilify tolerance

I don't what the theory is, but it seems that the German person in the the post that you linked to above had some sort of theory.
  2. Hip

Coxsackievirus test by ArminLabs

ArminLabs do have a few useful tests, such as the HHV-6 IgG antibody test by IFA. The HHV-6 Foundation say to test for chronic HHV-6, you need IgG by IFA, not by ELISA. And ArminLabs have cytomegalovirus IgG, which is useful for ME/CFS patients. And they even have an HHV-7 IgG test by IFA...
  3. Hip

Coxsackievirus test by ArminLabs

No, they not even done properly. The IFA method of antibody detection is often a bit more sensitive than the ELISA method, but not as sensitive as the neutralisation method recommended by Dr John Chia. And ArminLabs are not even testing for the most common Coxsackie viruses found in ME/CFS...
  4. Hip

Results of my experiments placing various gut health supplements in special colon-targeted enteric capsules

I just became aware of some ready-made enteric capsules called DRcaps (delayed release caps). So with DRcaps, you would not need to dip the capsule in shellac. However, DRcaps are a quite a bit more expensive than regular empty capsules.
  5. Hip

Abilify tolerance

Amisulpride hits a few serotonin receptors to a degree, table of receptor affinities halfway down this page.
  6. Hip

Emetine looks like a potent antiviral in vivo for coxsackievirus B, echovirus and cytomegalovirus

Here are some issues I found with emetine, regarding its toxicity to the heart: This paper, in the full text on SciHub, it says: The paper later says: So it looks like you should never go over a total of 600 mg of emetine total accumulative dose. That equates to a 100 days on 6 mg daily...
  7. Hip

Results of my experiments placing various gut health supplements in special colon-targeted enteric capsules

FMT for ME/CFS does not seem to offer long term benefits in most cases (although I did hear one story of a Lyme patient permanently cured by FMT, but such stories are rare). However, I believe there are short term gains that last for a few months after the FMT. So FMT would seem to do something...
  8. Hip

Flushing out all the material in your digestive system with the shankhaprakshalana yoga technique would not remove bacterial biofilms attached to the intestinal lining; it probably would not even flush out loose bacteria that are attached to the lining. After all, you can have a bladder...
  9. Hip

An enema might work, but I understand that an enema will normally only reach the first third of the colon. So if for example you were using a supplement like glutamine to heal a leaky colon, two thirds of your colon would remain untreated if you used an enema to deliver that glutamine. Or if...
  10. Hip

Those Amazon products are just the shellac varnish that you can place on a supplement capsule. This varnish does not have any beneficial effects itself, it just ensures the capsule does not release its supplement contents until it reaches the colon. It's the supplement or herb that is within...
  11. Hip

I guess they don't ship those items from the UK to the US. But they are all available in the UK.
  12. Hip

Edible confectioner's glaze / varnish seems hard to find in the US (maybe baking cakes at home is not so popular in the US?). But there are quite a lot of edible shellac confectioner's glaze products on the UK Amazon, costing £5 to £15, depending on the ml quantity of liquid. See: here, here...
  13. Hip

ME as a permenant damage to the central nervous system

This is a theory that there might be some permanent damage in the body during the acute infection, but nobody knows if it is true, or where the damage might be.
  14. Hip

Emetine looks like a potent antiviral in vivo for coxsackievirus B, echovirus and cytomegalovirus

Emetine looks like a potent antiviral for coxsackievirus B, echovirus and cytomegalovirus. Emetine is one of the main alkaloids found in the roots of the ipecacuanha plant. Emetine EC50 values for CVB, echovirus and CMV are very low, around the 0.05 μM mark (see table 1 of this study). This is...
  15. Hip

That might be worth trying. Though in a way, I have already done this, in that I found glutamine filled shellac capsules did not cause too much trouble, whereas NAG filled capsules did. Glutamine filled shellac capsules caused some anxiety when taken on an empty stomach, but produced no mental...
  16. Hip

Since the cause of ME/CFS remains unknown, it is scientifically wrong to make the claim that the microbiome is involved in ME/CFS pathophysiology. Researchers have hypothesised that the microbiome might be involved in ME/CFS, and that is a reasonable theory. But we do not actually know whether...
  17. Hip

I cannot really know for sure, but the fact that I get very different results with these shellac-coated supplements indicates that the capsules are opening much further along the digestive tract. The capsules might not necessarily wait to open in the colon; they may open slightly before the...
  18. Hip

I took glutamine for example because it generally considered one of the best leaky gut healing supplements. We know that a leaky gut can exist in the small intestine or in the colon. In the case of the small intestine, oral glutamine may help; but regular glutamine will not reach the colon...
  19. Hip

I am not restricting my thinking to a narrow view that only considers the bacterial microbiome. When I say my results suggest something may be amiss with my colon, I gave dysbiosis and leaky gut as examples of such dysfunction; but I am not limiting myself to just those two. A colon might...
  20. Hip

Staph vaccine to treat CFS??

On the manufacturer's website, this is the link to the stronger adsorbed version of the vaccine: https://medgamal.ru/products/anatoxin-stafilokokkoviy-ochischenniy-adsopbipovanniy/ And this is the link to the weaker non-adsorbed version...
  21. Hip

Good point about the prebiotics. Yes I think you are right that these are not digested or absorbed in the stomach or small intestine, so will reach the colon intact. So there may not be any advantage to placing prebiotics in colon-targeted capsules. I will remove prebiotics from my post. I...
  22. Hip

I've had some interesting results with placing supplements that are beneficial for bowel health in colon-targeted capsules. It's easy to make your own colon-targeted capsules at home, just by coating regular capsules with shellac. The shellac coating stops the capsule opening in the stomach (as...
  23. Hip

NK cell booster Siberian ginseng working well for anxiety and depression. NK cells fight cytomegalovirus — linked to various mental health symptoms

BioBran is different to AHCC, though they are both immune stimulants and related to shiitake mushrooms. BioBran is made from rice bran which is broken down using enzymes from the shiitake mushroom. Whereas AHCC is made from an extract of shiitake mushroom. Yes, with Siberian ginseng, it is...
  24. Hip

NK cell booster Siberian ginseng working well for anxiety and depression. NK cells fight cytomegalovirus — linked to various mental health symptoms

After my success with Siberian ginseng, which I think might be due to its NK cell activation boosting, I'd really like to try what it considered a very potent NK booster supplement, BioBran. BioBran was developed in Japan, but seems to be sold at rip-off prices: 30 sachets costs around $150.
  25. Hip

Antiviral/-bacterial strategy

Last time I checked, AllDayChemist.com were the cheapest, something like $7 for each 450 mg tablet. But you might like to use this prescription-free pharmacy search tool (click on the pharmacy tab) to see if you can find it cheaper.
  26. Hip

Ah right, 6 months is a good length of time to try Valcyte.
  27. Hip

Yes, Siberian ginseng has no relation to the regular Panax ginseng species (often called Korean ginseng). Siberian ginseng is a completely different species, and I believe the "Siberian ginseng" label is just a marketing name.
  28. Hip

There is Rudas Lab in Cyprus. They have a cytomegalovirus test, though it does not say whether this is IgM or IgG. Dr Lerner says you need an IgG test to detect the chronic infections in ME/CFS. They also have a coxsackievirus B IgG test via IFA. IFA is often more sensitive that ELISA. But it...