• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. L

Whittemore Institute suing Mikovits for alleged theft of lab notebooks and data

There are a lot of questions about the data and notebooks right now. Does no one but me see the disappearance of the data and notebooks as, well.. awfully convenient for someone?
  2. L

Whittemore Institute suing Mikovits for alleged theft of lab notebooks and data

"A little more than 1 month after firing Mikovits, the Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease (WPI) on 4 November filed suit against its former research director. According to WPI, after Mikovits was terminated on 29 September, she wrongfully removed laboratory notebooks and kept...
  3. L

The Race to Retract Lombardi 2009...

"That you are trying to compare the two shows how little you know about research!" I give up. Go ahead and continue to believe and argue that it is normal in science, perfectly ok and even appropriate, to intentionally show data that one knows is not what she says it is. All I can say is, if...
  4. L

Bob: "I can't see that it is misleading because they were using a negative result to indicate a negative result." This continues to astound me, it really does. here, let me try again. Lets say a patient goes to his doctor, and says, 'Doc, I did something really stupid 5 months ago with...
  5. L

Post XMRV - For those that think this is dead...

"he 5AZA could uncover a non-human ERV sequence." What non-human ERV sequence? There was VP62 plasmid as contaminant, in the PBMCs used for PCR and sequence analysis. VP62 is a plasmid, not a virus. Use of 5AZA would not cause VP62 to express any proteins. her eon earth would there be a...
  6. L

"that led to the discovery that XMRV is a man-made novel retrovirus" Its not man made - it is a result of a recombination during passage of human tumor cells in mice. retroviruses recombine - this is a recombination event. its cool that they were able to detect the actual recombination by...
  7. L

Bob, the only sequences reported in 2009 were contaminants. All the reported sequence was VP62. Everything else was serology. JM et al originally claimed that the serology was specific to XMLV, and they had adequately controlled for cross-reactivity. Then when it was shown that there is...
  8. L

"it is common for initial conceptions to change over time as new information (positive or negative) comes to light." Right. In this case, the initial conception after the Science paper, was that there was a specific retrovirus that looked like it was infecting ME/CFS patients at high...
  9. L

"there are important ethical imperatives, otherwise harm can be done." Yes. This is precisely why data falsification disturbs me so much , and in part why there is no such thing as 'minor' data falsification. This effects people's lives - do it right. If JM sasy that there is evidence that...
  10. L

kurt: My apologies for contributing - there comes a point whee the incessant attacks (from just a couple people) need to be responded to, and I reached that point.
  11. L

"You can't even bring yourself to acknowledge that people have grave concerns about the PACE trial, and that those concerns might be justified." Acknowledged: People have grave concerns about the PACE trial and those concerns might be justified. Angela, please stop attributing to me your...
  12. L

XMRV Webinair - Results of BWG - Q&A Video and Slides

The idea that Mikovits could not publish because of 'publishing bias' is... well, I'll back off and be polite and say not well founded.' She got her original paper in Science. labs all over carved time out of their operations, and did follow up work, and got published. All those negative...
  13. L

Let me get this straight. Anyone who doesn't go study and absorb the multiple publications and subsequent ongoing, decade-long controversy about the PACE trials and their analysis and subsequent use, and who after examining them doesn't to the same conclusions you come to - anyone who doesn't...
  14. L

Why does 5AZA matter?

Of course. I must be an unethical evil man who wants children to suffer and die. Yes, this is children's lives and futures. Bad science is BAD FOR children's (and other's) lives and futures. BAd science is bad for the prospects of my friend with ME/CFS. This is why bad science upsets me...
  15. L

I give up. biophile, the followup by Wiborg does not change the initial conclusions about CBT. The followup, using the actometer data, examined a hypothesis for WHY the CBT results were obtained, and concluded the they are not mediated by physical activity. The initial papers concluded that...
  16. L

Bob, she said that in the slide. that was the point of that slide. 5AZA causes viral expression. that's what the slide was about. And no, it is not the same thing. In science, you show the data. The actual data. It may or may not make a difference to the interpretation of the experiment...
  17. L

Bob, The crime of the century? No. Data Falsification? Yes? She told us, 'look, patient sample with no AZA, no virus. Patient sample with 5AZA, there is virus.' But that is not what was on the gel she showed us, and she knew that it was not what she showed us. And she told us she did it on...
  18. L

Why does 5AZA matter?

Parental approval of the doctor, does not justify risky, painful, clinically unnecessary, organizationally-unapproved spinal taps on children. it does not justify risky, painful, clinically-unnecessay, oganizationally-unapproved research colonoscopies on children. It does not justify taking a...
  19. L

JM admitted that in the Toronto presentation she showed a slide that had a label that misrepresented what was in that lane. She did it intentionally, to make it 'less confusing.' That was her justification for it. That ACTION, BY DEFINITION, is data falsification. She falsely presented her...
  20. L

@ Bob: "you have continuously accused them of fraud in relation to 5AZA being used in the Western Blot " Where? Link them. I think I said ONCE that in my opinion the overall picture looked like fraud. Once. As an opinion. What I've said is that if a scientist can't be trusted to tell all...
  21. L

oh, good... "you have sated that anyone who makes false statements is guilty of fraude and should be ignored by all, you have made several false statements - the latest one being that JM and FR have admitted falsifyign data" No.. I'm saying that people who INTENTIONALLY misrepresent their dat...
  22. L

No, I don't hate JM. I hate falsification of data. i hate scientific fraud - and intentional falsification of data is fraud. No, I'm not worried about libel. I said - 'that action, which you admitted to doing, is in my opinion fraud.' Or - 'that action, which you admit to and defend, si by...
  23. L

Bob, I'm not talking about the 5AZA - although that is also falsification IMO (yes, that is opinion). I'm talking about the fact that she admitted changing controls to patients in the labeling of at least one of the versions of that blot, and doing it intentionally to 'make it less...
  24. L

XMRV Webinair - Results of BWG - Q&A Video and Slides

justinreilly: "They phrase this to convey the impression that they are sure that no HGRVs exist, not that they haven't been proven to exist their satisfaction. This kind of sloppiness (or obfuscation) is unacceptable." I guess you could say it that way, if you are wiling to interpret the fact...
  25. L

Esther12: "I wouldn't be surprised if it would be extremely difficult for Mikovits to publish work in remotely respectable journals at the moment." At the moment, yes. Two weeks ago she admitted to falsifying data - that's a death knell. But prior to that? If she had publishable work she...
  26. L

Bob, Silverman's retraction specifically looked at the env PCR fragment - the sources of the env sequences that they talked about but did not show. Silverman showed taht the endv sequences come from VP62 contaminatin. This is not opinion - this was th ekey peice of data in tehanalsyis taht...
  27. L

PLoS ONE: Swedish Study into Murine Gammaretrovirus Group G3

A very strong negative result, it seems. They compared sequences to create a cluster of the family of retroviruses that include those reported to be associated with ME/CFS. They used that aligned sequence cluster to develop three separate independent real-time state of the art PCR assays...
  28. L

"information Dr Mikovits has sadly been denied the opportunity to publish" Is JM running around telling this to people? Or is it an urban legend? Either way, i cant use language strong enough to say how absurd it is. There are no conspiracies involving many dozens of journals and many more...
  29. L

Quantitative Assays for Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus

They have created a tool. They have developed assays that can be used to detect virus if it exists. They have not detected virus in humans. They say this assay "will be useful for monitoring infectious XMRVs in CFS and PC patients and virological studies for XMRV." That is only true if...
  30. L

currer: "Thanks for coming here to impose it on us." Us? Oh, that's cute. You apparently speak for the entire ME/CFS community? And anyone who disagrees with you is 'coming here to impose it on' the ME/CFS community? Yes, JM certainly knows more virology that I do. She does not know more...