• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. overtrain

The Atlantic: Fatigue Can Shatter a Person by Ed Yong

FYI, if you run into paywalls, go to archive.ph. On archive.ph, simply paste the link in. The article should come up if it has hit the internet archive already. I've seen articles archived range from just a few minutes back to several years ago. This archive.ph site won't work for every last...
  2. overtrain

Has anyone on this site cured him or herself of CFS/ME? Did I?

Because I had Covid mid-November, '22. I went back to work fine for several months until my car died. I felt like I completely got over Covid with no residual effects. My breathing was back to normal, all that. I did lose smell at one point, but that came back fine. Maybe my EBV got...
  3. overtrain

Back for my yearly update in this thread I started a decade back. Not doing so hot. No idea what's wrong, but I'm down to 100 pounds at 5'5 & 1/2. I'm shaking uncontrollably in my upper torso, head, & neck though my hands are fairly even, & the shaking comes on 5 or 6 times a day, like if...
  4. overtrain

POTS: The Remarkable condition

Hi. I'm not taking butcher's broom. I'm actually in my post not attributing anything to night sweats. I have no idea what causes my sweating. It's just another weird thing that happens even when I keep the house 55 at night in winter. Sweating started somewhere in my 30s, a little here & there...
  5. overtrain

Had anyone found, over the past half-century, anything whatsoever that could be "taken" besides rest & breathing one moment to the next, this website wouldn't even exist. 😂 Careful of snakeoil, & snakeoil salespeople purporting to tell you how you feel, how your health isn't as good as theirs...
  6. overtrain

Thanks for the advice. Will check out BB, & I have a dim recollection of trying tyrosine once but had a bad reaction. The heat is just so, so hard to take. I dread going out. I sleep in cold temperatures, esp. in winter, so I can bundle up. Otherwise, sleep's impossible. Doesn't matter if it's...
  7. overtrain

Clonazepam (Klonopin) stops my symptoms almost completely

Oh no, I know enough to never stop a med cold. She's going to keep taking it till dead. That I believe. I'm so sorry for your experiences with quitting. That's harsh. And perfectly appropriate to wish that on some so-called medical professionals. Any time I've had to take something myself...
  8. overtrain

Thanks for the info. re POTS. I think I have this & thought everyone got sort of dizzy standing up sometimes. But I get dizzy A LOT & just figured it was a weird quirk. I do remember when I was extremely ill with CFS/ME a decade back I was dizzy whenever I stood but thought it was low blood...
  9. overtrain

Yeah, I lived life like that & all it did was ruin it. Grateful to be more introspective, listen to my body, know my limits, let go of some control issues like my moronic perfectionism. I have no interest in forcing nor pushing myself through anything anymore. Those who lived like that often hit...
  10. overtrain

Zero Evidence That Depression Is Caused by Low Serotonin Levels.....

I'd really like to get on with my day but you keep posting such informative, well-written stuff. 😆. I'll post this then *stop* 😂. My research showed years & years ago that it was on the down-low that science can't actually show the mechanism in the brain causing levels of it to differ, nor...
  11. overtrain

Thanks. Yeah my old Iowa ADHD shrink who told me CFS was A FAD also told me the gum's fine, & actually nicotine helps ADHD 😂. I said, great! It'll help me right up till I get mouth cancer.
  12. overtrain

Anyone else a walking storm detector?

Yes, a very noticeable pain/ache in my left knee started when I was a young child, which always predicted a rain storm coming. It's lessened through the years though & I can't recall the last time it happened. Probably when I lived in Iowa, as it's humid there & not here. Left knee has what's...
  13. overtrain

Yep. I just posted another post here I believe it was already here Fall into Winter, 2019; mystery lung issues doctors hadn't seen before, some odd new type of pneumonia was all they could say.
  14. overtrain

Ok, this is just my uninformed opinion, but I've read numerous accounts of Fall 2019 ppl having had a mystery illness, bad lungs, showing up in U.S. emergency rooms & told by doctors it was some never-before-seen type of pneumonia. And I have a friend who got terribly ill with lung congestion in...
  15. overtrain

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. And yes, it's a lifelong 'club.' Wanted to add I, too, take daily magnesium which helps me sleep. I need to try glycinate version though. I take theanine & nac also, both of which help me. But supps add up $$ quick. Wish I could take a holy host of...
  16. overtrain

Thanks so much. I just feel really alone in dealing with this. My family has been fractured apart since the 1980s, much dysfunction, alcoholism, & a suicide by alcohol (my dad), & the man my mother got with 2 months after 🤯, oh nevermind. We're mostly all estranged. Unfortunately, she adores...
  17. overtrain

It's hard for me to gauge the before & after stamina, because I went through early menopause at 45 & was still having hot flashes, etc. when I got CFS at 49. I certainly would love to go back to how I felt prior to menopause, my God. I had no idea how different I'd feel after never getting my...
  18. overtrain

I hope it's ok to chime in here re the elderly. Ambien is what my 86 year old mother has taken every night for over a decade. She does strange, out of character things like send nasty emails to people in the middle of the night, then wakes up horrified that someone figured out a way to hack into...
  19. overtrain

Thanks so much. All people like me can do is try to live well but I gotta tell ya, I look over my shoulder A LOT, & not a day passes that I ever forget where I was a decade back. And I speak up every opportunity when I read or hear anyone downgrading LC or ME people's experiences. If only these...
  20. overtrain

Came to this site today after reading a preprint, not peer-reviewed, research article on a site called Research Square about what's showing up in people who are having post-vaccine health problems. These are folks who only had the vax but not Covid. Then I read the site-wide rule an article has...
  21. overtrain

Modifinil

When I was at the height of CFS, a doctor prescribed me Nuvigil. Worked really well for me. I've been off ADHD meds (dextroamphetamine) for half a decade now because I can't afford to see a shrink in my new state after relocation. Last night I bought modafinil at an online pharmacy in some...
  22. overtrain

Hi Justy, I was wondering how you are doing these days. I never forgot your (this) post over the years. I hope you are doing well, or at least better. All my best, Overtrain.
  23. overtrain

Hi Wayne, Well, here we are, 8 years later. Turns out you were 💯% correct in everything you said. I have stayed vigilant about not over-exercising and it has paid off. I hope you are doing well. 😄
  24. overtrain

Hi. It's impossible to say at this late date. I was diagnosed by an emergency room doctor with ME/CFS though. I have no recollection whether I ever got tested for tick or animal exposure.
  25. overtrain

It's now February of 2021 and I seem to be fully recovered. I've been fine since the last time I posted. My physical activity level is far, far lower than it was when I got sick. For me, I think what made me sick was the mono and EBV which dragged on, and my insistence at exercising despite...
  26. overtrain

Still doing great. Yeah, baby. Living in a new state, very happy. Still taking a ton of vitas, herbs, but not overdoing the exercise like I was. Not cleaning up after others (see above) like I used to. I'm not the world's tit. Loving aging for the freedom it brings mentally & spiritually. Be...
  27. overtrain

Thought I'd post back, as my original post was over a year and half ago. I believe I continue to improve. This has been so slow, but the gains still are coming. Which makes me wonder how much farther I have to go. I took to heart Justy's story above, remember it often. In the past 30 days, I...
  28. overtrain

CURED CFS/ME? PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY HERE.

I also think it might be time to redefine "do nothing". What is that? It's akin to looking at a wall that's a wall with no painting placed on it. We say there's "nothing" there. We drive thru a corn stretch of Route 80 in Iowa and claim there's "nothing" out there. Some ppl try meditation but...
  29. overtrain

CURED CFS/ME? PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY HERE.

Well, you got a live one here. I can attest to Sparrow's REST advice. I started a thread similar to yours about 6 weeks back, asking if anyone on this site had recovered, & got great responses. I'm one of the either recovered or big percenters. I'm WELL aware it could be a mirage, that I'll...