• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. B

Fibro & MCS mattress topper ideas

Cool! Thanks for that idea :-) I'm sorry you're even more limited, though, that sucks.
  2. B

Fibro/CFS Doctors in the D/FW Area ?

I'm glad you've found a good one! I've seen that site, but was hoping for personal experiences with the names on the list - it still feels like an awful crapshoot since you don't know if lists like that are friends-of-the-doctor or what. But thank you for suggesting it :-)
  3. B

thanks for the suggestion. I will check into that.
  4. B

Man, that stinks about your doc :-( My folks live near Houston, and sometimes I wish I still lived out that way - seems like a lot of what I end up needing is more available there than in the D/FW area. But that pesky thing with the hubby wanting to stay employed and all - that just keeps us...
  5. B

THere's an interesting idea! THanks :-)
  6. B

It's beginning to look like the hubby may just have to learn to fluff :-/ That's unlikely, but it seems that the low-maintenance requirement is really the show-stopper for mattress-pads, anyway.
  7. B

I just downloaded Dr Kippel's "new patient survey"! Holy moly! It's like 24 pages! no response to my query email yet. Looks like he's still a little further than I'd like to go - but since that's the only idea so far, I might have to try it anyway.
  8. B

I have not heard of kapok - I will go look into that :-)
  9. B

30 days is the usual return-window for things, though - so if it won't reach tolerable levels within about 2 weeks, it really needs to be heading back home to it's maker. (unless it's got a longer return-window)
  10. B

If I was able to care for it myself, that would be one thing. Convincing the husband to do the things that I can't do, when he doesn't feel the pain or appreciate the difference that the physical aids make in my life, has traditionally been a rather different story. He seems to think it's...
  11. B

The down idea seems like a good possibility, but organic doesn't necessarily equal non-chemically-irritating, unfortunately, so I was hoping for individual product experiences there. Also - doesn't down need to be "fluffed" regularly? I know my duvet has to be shaken vigorously from time to...
  12. B

Thanks for the sympathies :-) When we bought our mattress, we were offered hypoallergenic pillows as part of the deal. And after the first night I used them, I thought I was coming down with the flu. I spent the next couple of nights on the couch (closer to the toilet and the kitchen, so...
  13. B

LOL! that looks very similar to the mattress pad I do have, actually. But no, it's not very cushy. When I bought it, I was only considering MCS, and latex and wool allergies - fibro didn't happen until later. Now I really could use that cushion, just not sure how to achieve it given the...
  14. B

Light, nice looking wheelchairs online?

Absolutely! I use a lot of leverage instead of muscle. I push down on the back and lift up slightly on the handlebars to get the front wheel into the back of my van then I push forward on the handlebars, and and push up-and-forward on the back to roll it forward into the vehicle. No disassembly...
  15. B

Do your children have ME/CFS?

I have 3 daughters, ages 10, 8, 2. Each was breastfed for 2+ years. So far, I'm the only one with CFS/Fibro/MCS/IBS/ETC. The kids and the hubby and all known extended family are healthy as horses for the most part.
  16. B

I have fibro and a bunch of other junk ;-p I've been considering a mattress topper to help with my sleep-issues, but I seem to be having trouble determining what products will be safe for me to use. I am allergic to wool - this does not mean I just have to cover the wool, or use softer...
  17. B

roommates

I've had all sorts of room-mate/house-share situations, and most of the ones that went bad could have been avoided if both parties had simply been more up front about expectations and pet peeves. A lot of people feel that too much information will be a turn-off, and it well may. But you *want*...
  18. B

Cooling vest???

I have been using kafka's cool ties when I go out of the house. I usually keep several frozen and one in the fridge. When I go out, I wear the fridge-one, and put the frozen-ones in a small cooler with an assortment of cold drinks. They keep the drinks cold as they thaw and soften. I'll...
  19. B

Light, nice looking wheelchairs online?

I have one of these: www.travelscoot.com It is light enough that I can lift it *myself* and then drive *myself* around wherever I want to go. My hubby now begs *me* to go to the garden centers with *him* instead of the other way around, because I can tow a wagon behind my scooter ;-> You can...
  20. B

Ok, I thought I replied earlier, but I don't see anything - With the fog I've got today, there's just no telling what happened. I sent Dr Kippels a query-email, and have looked over his website. Thanks! Still open to more suggestions, of course :-) The more the merrier, or something like that. ;-p
  21. B

I tried searching for info, but I'm having a terrible day, and it was just overwhelming trying to *find* anything... so I apologize if this has been asked and answered elsewhere. I have been diagnosed with Fibro/CFS by my VA doctor. Before my diagnosis I got lots of testing and a reasonable...