• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

1st time functional testing - on or off supplements? When?

Hi. Having found possible issues in my genomic tests, I'm looking at functional testing : methylation pathway and Nutreval.

I am on several supplements that include cofactors, and possibly promoters and/or inhibitors, of enzymes etc. involved in methylation. I am on a regime that seems to agree with me to some extent, and is correcting some things, but obviously not others, or I'd be feeling much better. I guess some may even be balancing some of the others, and some may be having positive effects in one part of the pathway, but negative in another!

Does anyone have any advice on supplements and diet relating to first time testing? I wonder if a clean slate is the best approach and building things up from scratch after functional testing? Though I am still treating Lyme and coinfections, so would want to stay on some, even if I stopped others.

I have CBS C699T +/+ , CTH S4031I +/+, so wonder if addressing transulfuration before testing the MP would be an idea?

Many thanks

Nick

Critterina

Nick,
For my NutrEval, I had to get off everything for at least 4 days in advance of the test. I would wait for the results before changing anything, if I were you. CBS is not the 10x or 20x upregulation that some have reported, either from a misread of the literature, or from repeating the ideas of others who misread it.
My non-medical opinion, for what it's worth, says, get your homocysteine checked when you have the NutrEval (which has an amino acid panel that I don't think includes homocysteine). Together that tells you more than individual tests.
Crit
P.S. Sorry, I thought I hit 'post' yesterday, but here it sits as a draft...

Hi Crit. Thanks for your reply. Sorry for my late reply, but my brain decided to take a week off...again!

Useful to know you were off everything for 4 days for the Nutreval. The HDRI Methylation Pathway includes
S-adenosylhomocysteine, which I think they think is as good as measuring homocysteine (must look into that more).

I've discussed the CBS upregulation with Valentijn in another thread I started (http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/cbs-and-cth-combination-or-any-cth-info.33719/). Short version: dbkita had reviewed the literature and thought it was 1.1x for C699T +/+, but still may be enough to tip the balance for some. I definitely do have sulfur and ammonia issues, going by urine (sulfur) and sweat (ammonia) smells.. Sufur strips are measuring it quite high and ammonia is in Nutreval. CTH may be a complicating things with transulfuration too.

Critterina

Nick,
Good to hear from you. Sorry about your brain taking a vacation without taking you along.

My 4 days off was part of the instructions that came with the kit. I'm pretty sure that measuring SAH is not the same as measuring homocysteine, as like anything else, there can be feedback effects and conversion inefficiencies -getting both would be interesting and illustrative of anything you have going on in that part of the methylation cycle.

I trust implicitly anything Valentijn has researched. She does such good work and a lot of it to support this community. She sometimes comes across with "there is no evidence for that" - entirely true - when something hasn't been studied. To me, it's important to note that there may be also no evidence against "that", just that it hasn't been studied. But she will always clarify if you ask.

Yeah, whatever is going on with the sulfur and ammonia, I think it's not so well understood. I also have the SNPs and have entirely different smells and low test results.

I guess they are happy with SAH instead of Hcy as a marker for an overview of the cycle, but, like you say, it's not necessarily going to tell you what the Hcy level might be. Seeing as how important Hcy appears to be IMHO, especially as it's at the middle of a crossroads (cycle, cycle shortcut, transulfuration), it does seem strange it's not measured. I have found a solo Hcy test that I can have done at the same time.

Oh yes, I'm all in favour of knowing what evidence there is (and isn't). I like references too. I wasted so much time because Yasko's transcription error of alpha-ketobutyrate to alpha-ketoglutarate was picked up by so many without referencing their source.

I think this sums it up well:
I also fear that again the C699T SNP is maybe PART of a fragile haplotype but until we know all the other pieces we are in the dark somewhat.