• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2 different results

I had the 23 and Me genetic testing done and ran the raw data through both Genetic Genie and Livewello. I noticed that my MAO A - R297R came back different. Genetic Genie gave me a +/+ and Livewello gave me a
-/-. There is a little side note on Genetic Genie that states they "report the wild types as the defective variant as doctors have clinically observed that patients with methylation problems (especially those of Autism) often have trouble breaking down neurotransmitters. The high activity version of MAO A (which is represented as -/-) can contribute to major depressive disorder."

I keep reading this and my foggy brain is just not getting it. Do I have a mutation that I need to address or not? Please, would someone help to clarify this for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Critterina

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if Genetic Genie is reporting you +/+, that is the wild type that they say presents the greater risk. Please someone confirm.

Thanks for your help. My Doc looked closer at Livewello and found that they say I have no mutation. Plus, with Genetic Genie saying "high activity version of MAO A (which is represented as -/-)" and I have the +/+, that means I do not have the mutation. I wish they would just follow the standard format. Thanks again!!
Tina