• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme/Genetic Genie results

dmholmes

In the name of science, my SNPs. I already knew about the MTHFR going in, so no surprise there. Seems to line up with my NutrEval and Health Diagnostic results pretty well.

Methylation:
COMT V158M +/+
COMT H62H +/+
COMT P199P +/-
VDR Bsm +/-
VDR Taq +/-
MAO A R297R +
MTHFR C677T +/-
MTRR A66G +/+
MTRR R415T +/-
BHMT-02 +/+
BHMT-04 +/+
BHMT-08 +/-
CBS C699T +/-
SHMT1 C1420T +/-

Detox:
CYP1A2 164A>C +/-
CYP1B1 L432V +/+
CYP1B1 R48G +/+
CYP2D6 S486T +/-
CYP2D6 100C>T +/+
GSTP1 I105V +/+
GSTP1 A114V +/-
NAT2 I114T +/-
NAT2 K268R +/-

caledonia

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anybody with so many double mutations.

Methylation:
You have two First Priority mutations, SHMT and CBS. SHMT is one of the "leaky gut genes". People with that are more prone to gut issues, so if that's you, you should treat the gut and SHMT at the same time for best results. For SHMT take folinic acid. This also helps create DNA and RNA bases.

You have CBS C699T, which is the major one. You also have all the BHMTs which can add to CBS. There's a chance CBS could be a problem. Heartfixer has good info on how to tell if it's expressed and how to treat for it. I've used this successfully except for I used the Free Thiol Diet and no Yasko RNA supps.

You have MTHFR C677T, so some methylfolate for that.

You have MTRR (B12 recycling), so some B12 for that. For your COMT/VDR combo, Yasko suggests hydroxycobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. If you use methylcobalamin you could be prone to mood swings.

The BHMTs are the secondary methylation pathway. You have all of those, so some lecithin to produce TMG for that.

VDR Bsm is the Vitamin D Receptor. Check your vitamin D levels and if that's low, supplement with some D3.

MAO A affects serotonin levels. Yasko suggests balancing the rest of the cycle first, and if you're still having problems such as anxiety and depression, then some sprinkles of 5htp to support serotonin. This is contraindicated if you're on an SSRI or SNRI.

caledonia

Detox:
CYP1A2 164A>C +/-
CYP1B1 L432V +/+
CYP1B1 R48G +/+
CYP2D6 S486T +/-
CYP2D6 100C>T +/+
GSTP1 I105V +/+
GSTP1 A114V +/-
NAT2 I114T +/-
NAT2 K268R +/-

CYP1A2 is a slow caffeine metabolizer.

CYP1B1 causes estrogen dominance, which can cause prostate cancer in males. You can eat cruciferous vegetables or take DIM, IC3 or calcium deglucarate to lower estrogen. Calcium deglucarate is the preferred supp if you have CBS problems.

CYP2D6 detoxifies 20% of all drugs including various psych drugs. So if you've had mental health problems and tried psych drugs and couldn't tolerate them, this would be why.

GSTP affects glutathione, so having this on top of MTHFR/MTRR mutations is like a glutathione double whammy. You'll need to make more glutathione than most people to compensate.

NATs detoxify smoke, so don't smoke and stay away from second hand smoke.

The general advice for detox SNPs is to eat your fruits and veggies and stay away from toxins.

A lot more detailed info can be found on these in the Detoxigenomics link in my signature.

dmholmes

@caledonia Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this!

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anybody with so many double mutations.

Ouch, guess there is no prize for that :-(

Methylation:
You have two First Priority mutations, SHMT and CBS. SHMT is one of the "leaky gut genes". People with that are more prone to gut issues, so if that's you, you should treat the gut and SHMT at the same time for best results. For SHMT take folinic acid. This also helps create DNA and RNA bases.

I've been taking Rich's recommended 200 mcg/day for the last few days.

You have CBS C699T, which is the major one. You also have all the BHMTs which can add to CBS. There's a chance CBS could be a problem. Heartfixer has good info on how to tell if it's expressed and how to treat for it. I've used this successfully except for I used the Free Thiol Diet and no Yasko RNA supps.

I gather that there is disagreement on CBS being an upregulation? I have elevated homecysteine, low cystathione, low cysteine which I believe according to Heartfixer and Yasko would be contrary?

MAO A affects serotonin levels. Yasko suggests balancing the rest of the cycle first, and if you're still having problems such as anxiety and depression, then some sprinkles of 5htp to support serotonin. This is contraindicated if you're on an SSRI or SNRI.

Serotonin (and GABA, dopamine, epinephrine, norepinephrine) was very low on a neurotransmitter test I had last year (Pharmasan Labs). I think primary cause is gut, not showing much amino acids (exempt glutamate and taurine) according to the NutrEval.

As a slight aside, I have periods of huge improvements in excessive sleep and fatigue taking methylfolate and Super Thisilyn (has NAC, milk thistle, ALA, methionine). I never had periods of remission like this doing the simplified methylation protocol or active B12 protocol. Something in there is definitely helping out.

I gather that there is disagreement on CBS being an upregulation? I have elevated homecysteine, low cystathione, low cysteine which I believe according to Heartfixer and Yasko would be contrary?
There's a disagreement between the science and Yasko's ability to read and comprehend it, to put things bluntly. This doesn't mean that CBS is necessarily never an issue, or that the treatments for it necessarily won't be helpful - but it does mean that having the CBS mutations used by Yasko and listed by geneticgenie does not cause the problems which Yasko attributes to them.

Stewart

@Valentijn,

I've just asked about this on the thread I started a couple of days ago, so apologies if I'm repeating myself - but can you clarify when you think CBS might be an issue, and what the Yasko-attributed problems are that it doesn't cause?

Thanks very much.

I've just asked about this on the thread I started a couple of days ago, so apologies if I'm repeating myself - but can you clarify when you think CBS might be an issue, and what the Yasko-attributed problems are that it doesn't cause?
Some people report doing better when using treatments geared toward the supposedly "CBS" problems. But I don't think there's any scientific research either supporting or contradicting the efficacy of those treatments. So with nothing to disprove it, I think those subjective experiences are the best evidence available, and should be taken seriously - albeit with a grain of salt as with all subjective experiences, until better evidence comes along.

@caledonia @Valentijn
Sure appreciate those who give info & advice for our genetics! Searching the big broad internet about it is overwhelming without having Phoenix Rising friends to help narrow it down. Here are my 23andme results. My most critical challenges at age 72 are poor energy and Essential Tremor. My diet is gluten, casein & soy free. Please advise/comment on what's most critical and where to start.
Blessings to you!
Methylation Analysis.jpg
Detox Analysis.jpg

Very off topic, but I've noticed some people have more results in methylation reports than most others. For example I see Dmholmes actually has results for MTRR R415ST and SHMT1 C142OT, while Gloria above doesnt. Neither do I. It just says N/A. Is it because the DNA sample wasnt good enough and it couldnt find it?

Sea

Very off topic, but I've noticed some people have more results in methylation reports than most others. For example I see Dmholmes actually has results for MTRR R415ST and SHMT1 C142OT, while Gloria above doesnt. Neither do I. It just says N/A. Is it because the DNA sample wasnt good enough and it couldnt find it?

23andme used to test 967 000 snps on their version 3 chip. Their new version 4 tests for about 600 000. So the N/A ones aren't on the new chip.

http://snpedia.com/index.php/23andMe_v4_differences

musicchick581

@Valentijn so don't use heart fixer or yaskos protocol for CBS? I am detoxing aluminum with Fiji water (hope it's true that silica does that and it has enough to impact.) Im also eating low thiol trying to bring sulfate down. Stopped NAC and lowered methyl cobalmin to 200mcg and methylfolate to 400mcg. Still taking lithium orotate and coenzymeq10. No anxiety today yet. Finally. Day 4 of detox sulfates.