• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

40 patients accidentally given non-sterile saline IV, one dies

Gingergrrl

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...-non-sterile-iv-fluid-one-death-confirmed.htm

I attached a link to an article re: the FDA reporting that at least 40 patients were accidentally given saline IV's that were meant for training purposes (i.e. not sterile or meant only for practice in a nursing school, etc.) It reports that one of the patients died. The saline was manufactured by Wallcur, a provider of medical training products.

My doctor told me about this story after I had a horrible reaction to IV saline even though he thought the chances that I had this product were slim. After reading the article, I know I did not receive this product b/c it lists the seven states that received this product and my state was not one of them. Additionally, my husband remembers that the saline said "Baxter" which is a different company than Wallcur.

But I am posting this in case it could pertain to anyone else who received IV saline. The states it mentions are Colorado, New York, North Carolina, Louisiana, Idaho, Georgia, and Florida.