1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A Soldier's Last Words: I Am Sorry It Has Come to This

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by leela, Jun 22, 2013.

1. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Very sad. Doubtful this will make it into the MSM.

"Simple things that everyone else takes for granted are nearly impossible for me. I can not laugh or cry. I can barely leave the house. I derive no pleasure from any activity. Everything simply comes down to passing time until I can sleep again."

http://gawker.com/i-am-sorry-that-it-has-come-to-this-a-soldiers-last-534538357

p.s. I posted this in "Health News" because of the appalling lack of acknowledgement/care for his condition(s). If mods feel it should be elsewhere, please move it.
    Shell likes this.
  2. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    That is so very sad - such a young life lost.
    Is it true 22 vets take their own life every day? The USA govt should be ashamed of what they have put these soldiers through - and he says no support either - the UK too but thats the same story....
    Shell, leela and Waverunner like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    So very sad indeed. Those who fight for their country deserve more. Did this soldier have GWI as well? I wonder. In any case he clearly needed more help than the doctors were willing or able to provide. 22 suicides per day is a little over 8000 per year. Thats a lot of dying veterans.

An even higher death rate is claimed (but I have not seen statistics to prove it) for disabled in the UK at the moment, however it is unclear what percentage is from suicide.
    merylg and leela like this.
  4. 5150

5150 Senior Member

i did read this. as a vietman combat veteran, it was hard to take. sorry, no startling revelations coming from me. but i did understand the message content. sure hope he didn't have ME too. talk about a hard row to hoe, i assure you.
  5. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Oh God, that's devastating.

This quote made me think he might have had GWI:

But he wasn't in the Gulf War. There is some vagueness about "war-related illnesses" in the intro so it's hard to tell what he's referring to in that quote. He seems in the letter to be describing a very severe chronic pain condition, and he talks about not getting adequate medication and references the DEA, so it surely must have been pain medication that he needed.
  6. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    I had the same thought, Urban. I suspect GWI extends now beyond the gulf war, due to extensive vaccination of soldiers and other agents they are exposed to.
  7. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    So sad
  8. 5150

5150 Senior Member

hi alex, hope you are better.
    i don't know what the current stats are on Viet vets' suicides, but long ago it surpassed the number of Americans killed there in the war itself: over 58,600. Astounding isn't it?
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Typical, not astounding, to me at least. Add in deaths from weird disease processes (agent orange etc.) and now with GWI from the Gulf War, and it means that governments deliberately hide the real human cost of these wars. Throw in the things this soldier saw that led to PTSD, thing which he called crimes, and there is a real question of cover-up.
  10. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Wow. I did not know this. How terrible.

See more popular forum discussions.