• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Accomodation in Brussels while having treatment

Tito

I wont be getting IV antibiotics 3 or 4 times, but 3 or 4 times a week for 12 weeks, that's AFTER 3 months of IV gamma globulin treatment. Its not really complicated. Its either move to Brussels for 3- 6 months for treatment at the clinic OR stay home and try alternatives. KDM was clear that my case was complex and treating from a distance may not be possible.

I just want to get better. Or at least have a stab at getting better.

I live in a very rural location and there are no nursing services that could come here. I don't think buying GG is that easy, in the UK its a fairly restricted and expensive blood product.
Yes, I know it is 3-4 times a week. But they way they do it is that they make a small insicion in a vein that will be used for a couple of weeks. They then insert the little pipe of the IV every other day or so. You could imagine to go to Brussels every 2 weeks for the incision itself and then insert the pipe at home every other day yourself. For the gammaglobulins, it is always better to buy the product locally because it will contain antibodies of the pathogens of your area. Using GG from people abroad will contain antibodies against pathogens of these remote locations, and more importantly it may not contain the antibodies you need. For example, toxoplasmosis only affect 1 in 3 in the UK versus more than 95%+ on the European continent. So there is a real difference in GG from different places.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Yes, I know it is 3-4 times a week. But they way they do it is that they make a small insicion in a vein that will be used for a couple of weeks. They then insert the little pipe of the IV every other day or so. You could imagine to go to Brussels every 2 weeks for the incision itself and then insert the pipe at home every other day yourself. For the gammaglobulins, it is always better to buy the product locally because it will contain antibodies of the pathogens of your area. Using GG from people abroad will contain antibodies against pathogens of these remote locations, and more importantly it may not contain the antibodies you need. For example, toxoplasmosis only affect 1 in 3 in the UK versus more than 95%+ on the European continent. So there is a real difference in GG from different places.

Thanks for the suggestions - they don't actually make GG in the UK because of CJD, so it has to come from abroad anyway. I live too far away from transport to consider going back and forth - I live in far west wales - and the train to Europe is a 6 hour drive away!

@RML - when are you due to start IV treatment? I'm booked to start on Mon 11th Aug. I'm counting the days now as it's under 2 weeks to go. Each time I think about it I get this awful nervous feeling in my stomach.

@Valentijn I have been reading your detailed blogs from the 1st day of your treatment. They are so informative and it's very reassuring to have this knowledge of what to expect. Thanks for taking the time to post.

RML

Hello @Riverview I start next Monday. I know what you mean about counting the days alright. Since my last visit to Brussels I have been anxious to get treatment started and felt the wait was too long. But now it is close, the last few days I am feeling very apprehensive and having a bad feeling about it. It just seems too much to deal with right now, I am not sure how I will cope for 3 months. Having being impatient for months, now I don't feel ready or something, I just want to pause it all for a little while. But I suppose i will manage somehow and it will all pass by quickly and I'll be home before I know it.

By the time I get there @RML you will an old hand at it. You'll be able to show me the ropes that's providing we see each other there. My appointment is at 10.00 am what time is yours? Do you have someone coming with you? My daughter is coming for a few days and my sister will also come over for a few days here and there.

RML

Mine is a little later, at 1pm. My mum is coming with me. Do you have somewhere to stay?

I'm going to stay at Eurovolley- mainly because of the location but also because some of the time I will be alone. I will feel more comfortable with having some people around who I can ask for advice if need be. I went over 2 weeks ago to have bit of a recce. It's not perfect by any means but I think I can make it work for me-well I'm going to try.
Have you arranged where you are going to stay?

@justy Does Brussels have any kind of car service comparable to the one in the U.S. called "Uber?" If the distance is not too far, it is easier, cleaner, more reliable, and cheaper than using taxis. I just don't know if something like this exists in Europe? Here it is a free app for the phone.
Rather bizarrely, an article was published about Uber on the English Dutch news site today: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2014/07/uber_launches_controversial_pr.php
The article is focused on the Netherlands, but mentions Brussels:
The introduction of UberPOP in other cities has led to protests, with some drivers having their cars confiscated in Brussels. The system was banned in Hamburg although that was later overturned in court.
So it does exist in Brussels and might be legal (or at least not illegal) but is highly contentious.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Just found this great website which will calculate taxi fares in Brussels

http://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/city_result.jsp?country=Belgium&city=Brussels

Just replying to my own post here (that way madness lies!) it looks like the three locations I have looked at

1. an apartment in Evere
2. Aparthotel in Grimsbergen
3. Aparthotel in Laeken area

will cost approx., by taxi

1. 38 euros per day
2. 30 euros per day
3. 44 euros per day

Grimsbergen is the nearest and cheapest - but im concerned about if it is walking distance to shops etc @Valentjin I think you have stayed in this area - any deas on what the village is like?

Evere - a residential area of Brussels, but some small shops nearby and tram right outside door for getting into town (which would be good for my bored family members who will be coming with me - better than being stuck in Grimsbergen perhaps?) also the apartment is the second story of someone's home, and they seem really nice people, so could be good for me to at least have friendly people around (although of course I wouldn't impose)
Laeken has lots of shops, bars, restaurants nearby as well as big parks - again, might be better if my grown up children are coming.

I know this is a lot of detail that some may not be interested in, but others may come after me who can read this thread and know a bit more about it. I always do a lot of research before I go anywhere.

Grimsbergen is the nearest and cheapest - but im concerned about if it is walking distance to shops etc @Valentjin I think you have stayed in this area - any deas on what the village is like?
If you're near the church, there's a decent sized supermarket and druggist right next to the center. And a great restaurant and amazing Belgian chocolates :rolleyes: There's also a bigger supermarket on the west side of town. And there's a natural thermal spa in Grimbergen, somewhat close to the center, on the northwest edge..

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I once stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in Boston. It has a small sun porch with a daybed. The owner said she let people who were receiving treatment at area hospitals use it for free. I don't know how common that is or how you would go about finding such. Six months might be a bit long for a free room, but maybe you could get a reduced price.

Do you have any way to advertise for accomidations? There are sometimes people with extra bedrooms who would be willing to rent them to a quiet, middle-aged woman for a few months, even though they do not regularly take in boarders.