• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acetyl L- Glutathione, ATP, Baking Soda, Sam-e & Catalase = No PEM after exercise

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Just found a 2004 paper summarising what was then known about uncoupling proteins.

Personally I ignore the non-human data, as it is as likely to be irrelevant to us as it is to be relevant.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I bought some SOD with Catalase to try again now that I know I misunderstood what Dr. Pall wrote. I know it contains wheat, but I am going to try it again anyway with the extra catalase to see if that changes my reaction to it. I will let you know if the combination works even better with SOD. I went to the gym last night. So far, everything is still good. No severe PEM. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, however, because I've done that so many times before and have been disappointed.

I will let you know if I crash.

Hip

Hip, where do you get the Carbicarb? Can you buy it online? If not, how much of each did you mix together? I would also like to try this to see if it works even better.

I couldn't find Carbicarb for sale, but it's easy to make your own by just mixing sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and food grade sodium carbonate (washing soda) together in the right proportions.

Food grade sodium carbonate you will find on eBay, and of course the sodium bicarbonate sold in supermarkets is food grade.

What are the right proportions? Well Carbicarb is described here as an "equimolar solution of sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate." By equimolar, they mean Carbicarb has one mole of sodium bicarbonate for every one mole of sodium carbonate. But we need to know the proportions of these two chemicals in terms of weight.

Well, sodium bicarbonate has a molecular weight = 84.01, and sodium carbonate a molecular weight = 105.99, so that gives you the ratio by weight, which is: 84.01 / 105.99 = 0.79.

So this means to make to make your own Carbicarb, for every 100 grams of sodium carbonate, you mix in 79 grams of sodium bicarbonate.

I presume Carbicarb is a more potent alkalizer than sodium bicarbonate, so doses of Carbicarb may need to be smaller than those of sodium bicarbonate.

Last edited:

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I couldn't find Carbicarb for sale, but it's easy to make your own by just mixing sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and food grade sodium carbonate (washing soda) together in the right proportions.

Food grade sodium carbonate you will find on eBay, and of course the sodium bicarbonate sold in supermarkets is food grade.

What are the right proportions? Well Carbicarb is described here as an "equimolar solution of sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate." By equimolar, they mean Carbicarb has one mole of sodium bicarbonate for every one mole of sodium carbonate. But we need to know the proportions of these two chemicals in terms of weight.

Well, sodium bicarbonate has a molecular weight = 84.01, and sodium carbonate a molecular weight = 105.99, so that gives you the ratio by weight, which is: 84.01 / 105.99 = 0.79.

So this means to make to make your own Carbicarb, for every 100 grams of sodium bicarbonate, you mix in 79 grams of sodium carbonate.

I presume Carbicarb is a more potent alkalizer than sodium bicarbonate, so doses of Carbicarb may need to be smaller than those of sodium bicarbonate.

Thank you for the info.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

I usually buy my sodium bicarbonate in Boots. It used to be a standard indigestion treatment, but now the shelves are heaving with branded stuff full of unnecessary, often-harmful and generally unpleasant ingredients (not to say overpriced). When I first started buying my bicarb in Boots I had to ask for it - and it was behind the counter! In another pharmacy the staff had to hunt around until they found some in a drawer. Now it is on the shelf in my local Boots, and good value.

Hip

@drob31
If you read the comments provided in that link, you see that bicarbonate actually lowers lactate. Here's the comment:
Increases of lactate production are noted in short intense exercises (due to allowing more work to be conducted, and the work produces more lactate) while prolonged exercise is associated with a decrease in lactate concentrations relative to placebo.

So in prolonged exercise bicarbonate decreases lactate, and in short intense exercises, bicarbonate allows more effort to be exerted, and it is only this that increases the lactate output. But if you did not exert more effort, there would be no increase in lactate.

pemone

Well, it's not an unreasonable assumption that there may be tissue differences in NAD+/NADH ratio. pH differs from tissue to tissue. You don't need a tissue biopsy to measure some things. A previous study for instance measured lactate in CFS patients' cerebral ventricles using magnetic resonance spectroscopy. This is non-invasive.

Unless you believe that CFS is localized to just a particular area of the body, how does knowing that the brain has different NAD+/NADH compared to thigh muscle help us? All we need is a cheap metabolite we can order in labs to give us a *benchmark* of *any* system that can then be used as a marker of the condition. As you develop treatments, you repeat that test, and if you see the marker improve you know the treatment is likely having a positive effect.

Regarding the MRI, do you know if anyone does that test commercially?

Sidereal

Unless you believe that CFS is localized to just a particular area of the body, how does knowing that the brain has different NAD+/NADH compared to thigh muscle help us? All we need is a cheap metabolite we can order in labs to give us a *benchmark* of *any* system that can then be used as a marker of the condition. As you develop treatments, you repeat that test, and if you see the marker improve you know the treatment is likely having a positive effect.

Regarding the MRI, do you know if anyone does that test commercially?

What I meant was that the blood ratio may not necessarily reflect the ratio in muscle and brain which are the relevant tissues.

MRS - I don't know. Might be best to ask the author at Cornell. Abstract contains contact info.

pemone

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Uncoupling does occur in living creatures, for example hibernating animals. There are references in several threads.

Here is one paper that links uncoupling to ME/CFS.

I didn't understand what you meant by uncoupling. Now I think you mean disconnecting use of Phosphor in ATP Synthase from the other activities in the electron transport chain? An article that discusses this effect:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1567840/pdf/envhper00420-0201.pdf

So if the ETC works, and ATP production fails, you would expect NAD+/NADH might be closer to normal, but ATP production would be low. It doesn't change what I would test, and the result of testing at the end points of the ETC help you to better understand what might be failing.

Again, it's not about diagnosing any cause. It's about establishing basic facts of your condition.

pemone

What I am saying is that the fatigue symptoms that an ME/CFS patient has may be nothing to do with the mitochondria, but more to do with sickness behavior and its associated pro-inflammatory cytokines in the brain.

So test your ETC and find out if it works. It does or it does not.

Personally, I don't feel sick in the way I would feel if I had a cold, at all. I feel muscular weakness and acidity throughout my body. Describing CFS with PEM as "sickness behavior" sounds like a physician who does not have the experience of CFS trying to come up with a theory.

What you might consider is trying a cocktail of supplements that support mitochondria. A while ago I experimented with this mitochondria cocktail:

Mitochondrial cocktail:
Deprenyl 5 mg
Rhodiola rosea 350 mg
Lecithin 1200 mg
IGF-1 Nutronics Labs (139ng/drop) 4 drops sublingual
Lithium orotate 125 mg
7-keto DHEA 50 mg
Leucine 5 grams
Glutamine 5 grams
Niacinamide 1000 mg
Ginkgo biloba (24%) 60 mg
Piracetam 2 grams
Q10 200 mg
Magnesium (as malate) 280 mg
Lauricidin (monolaurin) ½ scoop
Taurine 1000 mg
Acetyl-L-carnitine 800 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 250 mg
Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) 20 mg
Benfotiamine 80 mg
Carnosine 1000 mg
Sodium bicarbonate ¼ tsp
Creatine monohydrate 2 grams

Do you have mercury fillings or a lot of fish in your diet? Be very careful with alpha lipoic acid. It has a role as an antioxidant, but most people do not understand that it converts to a dihydroxy form that is a two thiol heavy metal chelator. It crosses the blood brain barrier, and if you have more mercury in your blood than your brain, it will move mercury into your brain and cause horrific symptoms. This is how my CFS began. It was one month after starting heavy irregular doses of ALA that I had collapse in aerobic metabolism.

pemone

http://examine.com/supplements/Sodium Bicarbonate/

I'm not sure how much trust PR puts in examine, but there are quite a few studies done on it.

It boosts lactate:

Lactate is a critical energy source and a regulator of the orexin system. Lactate release from astrocytes play an integral part in balancing brain activity and energy supply. (R)

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/30/24/8061

The only two lines worth examining on examine.com are the "serum bicarbonate" and "blood acidity".

The Lactate claims are that there is more lactate in short term, but LESS lactate in long term. I care about the long term discomfort of PEM more than the short term discomfort during exercise. Further, this is not a claim about cause and effect. You are putting more bicarb buffers into the blood, so the body is able to produce more lactate without stressing your buffer system. The body is just being opportunistic and using the resource you made available. I don't see any of these claims about lactate as being important enough to steer anyone towards or away from bicarb. It's not the important effect.

pemone

What I meant was that the blood ratio may not necessarily reflect the ratio in muscle and brain which are the relevant tissues.

As long as a different marker correlates to the specific tissue you care about, who cares? Improvements in your condition would affect all markers in the same direction.

Hip

So test your ETC and find out if it works. It does or it does not.

You are suggesting here in this thread that working out your NAD+/NADH ratio, done indirectly via a pyruvate/lactate test, is a reliable measure of electron transport chain function and mitochondrial function.

Where did you come across this? I have never seen this test talked about as a way to gauge mitochondrial function/dysfunction or energy production. It certainly would be nice to have a good measure of mitochondrial health, but I'd need to see some studies indicating that the NAD+/NADH ratio is the way to measure this.

The only mitochondrial function test I am aware of that ME/CFS patients sometimes use is the Mitochondrial Function Profile test from Dr Myhill's practice. I understand that this test does not measure mitochondrial function directly, but via measuring metabolite levels.

Be very careful with alpha lipoic acid. It has a role as an antioxidant, but most people do not understand that it converts to a dihydroxy form that is a two thiol heavy metal chelator. It crosses the blood brain barrier, and if you have more mercury in your blood than your brain, it will move mercury into your brain and cause horrific symptoms. This is how my CFS began. It was one month after starting heavy irregular doses of ALA that I had collapse in aerobic metabolism.

Whereas there is good evidence from published studies to shown that various pesticides (organophosphates, pyrethroid and organochlorines) increase the risk of developing ME/CFS, there are no studies showing any links between mercury levels and ME/CFS.

Sometimes you may read an anecdote about mercury apparently worsening ME/CFS symptoms, but not much more than that.

Also note that if you eat canned tuna, in this post I roughly indicate that you would get over 5 times more mercury neurotoxicity from a once weekly 70 gram (2.5 oz) tuna fish portion than from your amalgam fillings. The form of mercury in tuna fish is methylmercury, and this is far more toxic to neurons that the elemental mercury from dental fillings.

I had all my amalgams removed several years ago, though, just as a precaution.

Note I have heard cases where ME/CFS patients will feel dramatically worse after alpha lipoic acid, even just a single dose of a few hundreds milligrams, and take a while to recover. A single dose is not going to transport much mercury, so you can rule mercury out as the cause of this worsening. You can see ALA's known side effects here.

alex3619

So far as I am concerned around 95% of strictly defined ME/CFS patients (CCC or better criteria) have demonstrated energy deficiency. Some of our docs have known this since the 80s. More and more have realized this since 2007. Its nice to find out individual issues, we are not all identical and many of us will have misdiagnoses, but I am still not convinced we have a good grasp on how to go about testing that will have meaning.

This kind of thing can help if it can lead to small pilot studies, formal studies of patients which are published.

We have published studies showing CoQ10 deficiency. That is something we need to address. I find resveratrol helpful, though not everyone does. Broad anitoxidant support might help, which may include methylation treatments. We have already discussed NAD.

One issue I have with direct supplementation of glutathione is that not all tissues can use this. Some tissues can import glutathione, like the heart, others cannot and have to synthesize it. I have not looked into this in a long time, so don't want to say more than that. If binding glutathione to acetyl helps cell absorption this issue might not arise. I have not read any studies to that effect though.

pemone

You are suggesting here in this thread that working out your NAD+/NADH ratio, done indirectly via a pyruvate/lactate test, is a reliable measure of electron transport chain function and mitochondrial function.

Where did you come across this? I have never seen this test talked about as a way to gauge mitochondrial function/dysfunction or energy production. It certainly would be nice to have a good measure of mitochondrial health, but I'd need to see some studies indicating that the NAD+/NADH ratio is the way to measure this.

There are lots of studies showing relationships between lactate/pyruvate and NAD+/NADH. I guess to find them you have to use the right keywords. For example:
http://www.jbc.org/content/289/4/2344

which contains in the abstract statements such as:
"Free cytosolic [NAD+]/[NADH] ratio maintains cellular redox homeostasis and is a cellular metabolic readout."
"Pyruvate/lactate ratios show distinct metabolic phenotypes and are used to derive free cytosolic [NAD+]/[NADH] ratios."
"Determination of free cytosolic [NAD+]/[NADH] ratios using hyperpolarized glucose is applicable to a wide selection of cell types."
"This metabolic phenotyping may be a crucial tool to understand pathologies, and to diagnose and measure effects of therapies."

Also consider aging studies such as:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0019194

which contains the statement that "Reduced mitochondrial activity of complex I–IV was also observed in aging animals, impacting both redox status and ATP production." The study uses NAD+/NADH as their redox status marker.

The way I found the specific formula I want to use is that I contacted a world-famous researcher and asked him if there was a way to measure the ratio using a cheap commonly available metabolite. He gave me a formula, and I'm still trying to verify how to use it.

The only mitochondrial function test I am aware of that ME/CFS patients sometimes use is the Mitochondrial Function Profile test from Dr Myhill's practice. I understand that this test does not measure mitochondrial function directly, but via measuring metabolite levels.

The ATP test she is doing looks better than that. It looks like the researcher she uses is getting living mitochondria and stimulating them in various ways and measuring the ATP output by some kind of photoluminescence technique. It's awesome stuff! But I contacted him and he refuses to set up any new customer accounts and claims that he cannot even tell me who he does business with without "violating European law".

Measuring ATP output is unfortunately still kind of leading edge research. I have been searching for a group in the US who can do this commercially and so far I have struck out. I bet they do exist though. If I had more time and more resource I think they could be found.

Whereas there is good evidence from published studies to shown that various pesticides (organophosphates, pyrethroid and organochlorines) increase the risk of developing ME/CFS, there are no studies showing any links between mercury levels and ME/CFS.

Sometimes you may read an anecdote about mercury apparently worsening ME/CFS symptoms, but not much more than that.

I think the truth is more muddled than that.

First, you aren't searching very hard in Pubmed. For example:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3253456/

which contains statements like "The affinity of mercury for sulfhydryl groups of the mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation complex associated with destruction of mitochondrial membranes may contribute to chronic fatigue syndrome."

What I do not find are good studies that make population-wide assessments based on mercury burden. But running such a study is very difficult, because as the study I quote says:
"Diagnosis of mercury overload is difficult. The commonly used modalities (blood, urine, and/or hair levels) do not correlate with total body burden and offer little diagnostically useful information. "

So you can measure blood levels of mercury as low, when in fact the tissues are saturated with it. That makes it very problematic to study this issue, and it also explains why many studies fail to find association between symptoms and blood levels.

There are population studies, just not well designed or large enough to cause a widespread call to action:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16891999
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11462117

The comment in the second study is that:
"We have found that fatigue, regardless of the underlying disease, is primarily associated with hypersensitivity to inorganic mercury and nickel. The lymphocyte stimulation by other metals was similar in fatigued and control groups. To evaluate clinical relevance of positive in vitro findings, the replacement of amalgam with metal-free restorations was performed in some of the patients. At a six-month follow-up, patients reported considerably alleviated fatigue and disappearance of many symptoms previously encountered"

The other points to consider in asking for a decisive population study:

* Chronic Fatigue is already controversial for allopathic medicine, with many doctors thinking it is not a disease and that the people who complain of symptoms have psychiatric issues.
* Mercury is even more controversial, and what is worse the government through various organizations is giving an implicit blessing to mercury, which makes it very hard to get funding.

So you are asking a researcher to put his career on the line and do a large population study on a non-disease with a metal that will cause massive liability for dentists and dental associations if you conclusively prove its health effects.

Also note that if you eat canned tuna, in this post I roughly indicate that you would get over 5 times more mercury neurotoxicity from a once weekly 70 gram (2.5 oz) tuna fish portion than from your amalgam fillings. The form of mercury in tuna fish is methylmercury, and this is far more toxic to neurons that the elemental mercury from dental fillings.

These are different forms of mercury with different metabolic pathways and different toxicity. The fish is organic mercury and the liver handles that disposal pathway. The amalgams are released as elemental mercury and convert to inorganic and more easily pass into the brain.

Quicksilver Scientific - which tests both forms - makes a big point of this showing how the fish based mercury is usually much higher, which is why they speciate their test and show the organic and inorganic forms separately. They measure the much smaller amounts of inorganic mercury - and its disposal pathway through urine - separately because it is much more deadly.

I had all my amalgams removed several years ago, though, just as a precaution.

Note I have heard cases where ME/CFS patients will feel dramatically worse after alpha lipoic acid, even just a single dose of a few hundreds milligrams, and take a while to recover. A single dose is not going to transport much mercury, so you can rule mercury out as the cause of this worsening. You can see ALA's known side effects here.

I don't think the reports of individuals having an adverse reaction to any substance is a basis for making any other conclusion about the substance.

The chemical fact is that ALA converts to a dihydroxy form that is a two-thiol chelator with very very strong attraction to mercury. It passes intracellular and into the brain easily, and if the blood level of either type of mercury is higher than the level inside cells or inside the brain, ALA will move mercury into those compartments. Take enough of it in the wrong way, if you have high blood levels of mercury, and if you have a sensitivity to mercury, you will get symptoms.

Last edited:

Hip

Also consider aging studies such as:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0019194

which contains the statement that "Reduced mitochondrial activity of complex I–IV was also observed in aging animals, impacting both redox status and ATP production." The study uses NAD+/NADH as their redox status marker.

I understand that the NAD+/NADH ratio can be used to gauge redox status, but we are interested in measuring mitochondrial energy output. In my brief Google searches, I could not find any connection between the NAD+/NADH ratio and energy output.

But I contacted him and he refuses to set up any new customer accounts and claims that he cannot even tell me who he does business with without "violating European law".

That seems a bit obstinate of him.

First, you aren't searching very hard in Pubmed. For example:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3253456/

which contains statements like "The affinity of mercury for sulfhydryl groups of the mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation complex associated with destruction of mitochondrial membranes may contribute to chronic fatigue syndrome."

That review paper is not offering evidence of any association between mercury and ME/CFS; it is just speculating that mercury might contribute to ME/CFS, based on some theoretical considerations regarding mitochondria. I had a good search some years back for any evidence that mercury might be a risk factor for ME/CFS, but found nothing.

Though I did find this study which found inorganic mercury worsened coxsackievirus B autoimmune myocarditis — coxsackievirus B is a virus strongly linked to ME/CFS.

There is evidence that the following toxins increase the risk of ME/CFS: pesticides, mycotoxins, ciguatoxin, tung oil, and silicone from breast implant leakage.

They measure the much smaller amounts of inorganic mercury - and its disposal pathway through urine - separately because it is much more deadly.

I understood that methylmercury, an organic form of mercury, is 100 of times more toxic than elemental mercury.

It passes intracellular and into the brain easily, and if the blood level of either type of mercury is higher than the level inside cells or inside the brain, ALA will move mercury into those compartments. Take enough of it in the wrong way, if you have high blood levels of mercury, and if you have a sensitivity to mercury, you will get symptoms.

There are probably millions of people regularly taking ALA as a supplement, and many of those with mercury fillings. If ALA was suddenly triggering ME/CFS due to mercury mobilization, I would have thought that we would hear reports of this.

Last edited:

pemone

I understand that the NAD+/NADH ratio can be used to gauge redox status, but we are interested in measuring mitochondrial energy output. In my brief Google searches, I could not find any connection between the NAD+/NADH ratio and energy output.

What I see lots of in literature is hints of this. For example, this paper:
http://www.fasebj.org/content/early/2001/06/02/fj.00-0652fje.full.pdf
contains lines like "Electrons carried by NADH, in addition to fueling ATP synthesis, also fuel redox signaling pathways to augment blood flow in resting and working tissues."

Another part of that original study I quoted has a more causal statement more in line with what you want: "Depletion of NAD+ following PARP hyperactivation has been shown to deplete intracellular ATP stores." And from the same study "ATP levels significantly (p<0.01) declined in the heart, lung, liver and kidney after 12 months of age. This is in line with increased PARP activation and decline in cellular NAD+ content during the aging process." So they give you the causality in a subjective interpretation of a graph of their study, but they aren't graphing the relationship you want explicitly.

You see this represented in equations, where ATP production is shown by researchers to be proportional to rising NADH. But they don't describe this the way you want them to. It's presented more like a complex identity where three or four key variables drive ATP production, and NADH is one of those.

My thinking was that NADH going high is a signal to the electron transport chain to speed up and create more NAD+. If ATP output is low, and NADH remains high (i.e., NAD+/NADH remains low), then by definition the electron transport chain is not working. I acknowledge Alex's point that there are many possible reasons for that happening (e.g., hypoxia, mercury, transport protein defects, etc). I'm not trying identify the cause. I'm trying to prove that a particular part of the energy production system is broken. It's just a starting place.

That review paper is not offering evidence of any association between mercury and ME/CFS; it is just speculating that mercury might contribute to ME/CFS, based on some theoretical considerations regarding mitochondria. I had a good search some years back for any evidence that mercury might be a risk factor for ME/CFS, but found nothing.

Though I did find this study which found inorganic mercury worsened coxsackievirus B autoimmune myocarditis — coxsackievirus B is a virus strongly linked to ME/CFS.

There is evidence that the following toxins increase the risk of ME/CFS: pesticides, mycotoxins, ciguatoxin, tung oil, and silicone from breast implant leakage.

He was not just speculating in that study. It was a review of literature with citations for each summary point.

I did include two other links that looked at particular patient populations where fatigue symptoms improved after mercury was removed. I understand it is not the smoking gun you want, but mercury research is today where research on cigarette smoking was in the 1950s, and there just isn't the overwhelming study that puts it all together. There are hundreds of studies that show effects in vitro, various effects in vivo, and small population studies that show relief of fatigue symptoms. It's better than nothing.

I understood that methylmercury, an organic form of mercury, is 100 of times more toxic than elemental mercury.

That original study reviewing the literature explains the problem pretty well "Inhaled elemental mercury vapor, for example, is easily absorbed through mucus membranes and the lung and rapidly oxidized to other forms (but not so quickly as to prevent considerable deposition of elemental mercury in the brain). Methyl mercury is easily absorbed through the gut and deposits in many tissues, but does not cross the blood-brain barrier as efficiently as elemental mercury"

So elemental mercury gets into the brain and then it converts to a very toxic inorganic form that is very hard to get rid of. This source on toxicology:
http://labmed.ascpjournals.org/content/33/8/614.full.pdf
says: "In erythrocytes, catalase can oxidize elemental mercury to an inorganic metabolite. If elemental mercury penetrates the blood brain barrier, it is ionized and becomes trapped in the compartment where it is available to exert its neurotoxicity. Elemental mercury has the longest retention in the brain with detectable levels present for years following exposure."

There are probably millions of people regularly taking ALA as a supplement, and many of those with mercury fillings. If ALA was suddenly triggering ME/CFS due to mercury mobilization, I would have thought that we would hear reports of this.

There are lots of reports, but they take two forms, neither of which you will want to believe:

1) Chelation-knowledgeable people who figured out that ALA in high irregular doses made their symptoms worse complain about this all the time. For example:
http://onibasu.com/archives/am/46916.html
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/33004-alpha-lipoic-acid-and-mercury/#entry611753

You will complain about those people that they are self serving and trying to justify a protocol they follow.

2) There are lots of reports online of people who say ALA makes them feel ill, but they cannot put their finger on it and simply stop taking it. Obviously no one can connect the dots and those people don't understand the heavy metal issues in any case. So no proof there either.

98% of the articles written on ALA never use the word "chelator". Yet, it's clear that it is in the literature:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17408840

And here's an online take by Dr Andrew Cutler, who wrote two books on mercury diagnosis and treatment, and who pioneered a correct protocol for using ALA as a chelator:
http://onibasu.com/archives/am/39746.html

I took ALA in high doses for seven months, starting Dec 2013. I got sick in Dec 2013 and stayed extremely extremely ill until June 2014 or thereabouts. I was taking up to 600 mg/day of ALA or R-ALA, and that's a much higher dose than what most casual users would take. It was only when I got back tests showing high mercury levels in blood, hair, and urine that I started to trace back and discovered that ALA was a chelator that crosses the blood brain barrier. That's when I stopped ALA cold turkey.

Every month since June 2014 I have felt about 3% better. It's a slow but steady climb back. It's a pretty strange coincidence that I got sick one month after I started high dose ALA, and I started getting better as soon as I stopped taking high dose ALA. Mercury explains every single symptom I have, and while it is only a working hypothesis, it is one that is worth putting to rest and testing.

Last edited:

Sidereal

And in addition to lots of people reporting side effects on the internet from ALA not understanding what's going on, or those who have figured it out (small minority) showing up on the FDC yahoo group over the years who were harmed by random ALA dosing before they discovered the correct dosing schedule, there are lots of reports here on PR and elsewhere of people being made acutely ill from IV or even oral glutathione (single thiol, mobilises mercury, stirs it around, then dumps it in your organs).