• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Addressing COMT

zzz0r

COMT is a snp that little information are available about. It has not been researched as much as MTHFR.

Regarding the little things that are known, is that together with VDR and CBS it is a marker of how well people can tolerate methyl donors such as TMG and methylb12.

Also it is known that (as stated in heartfixer website) COMT interferes with the dopamine uptake by the receptors which at least to my understanding means that the concentration of dopamine in the brain rises (as the mutation in the enzyme slows down the process of the uptake), and this is the reason that methylgroups are not well tolerated by people that have this mutation.

COMT together with MAOA can lead to sudden mood swings and neuropsychiatric disorters. I do not know a way to speed up or to adress the uptake of dopamine as there are drugs (DRI) that block the uptake in order to create suffecient ammount in the brain but people with COMT mutation have the opposite problem. One intermediate way is to increase the concentration of serotonin in the brain by using SSRI drugs or other supplements like St. Johns wort, tryptophan etc.. Increased serotonin levels will decrease the levels of dopamine.

Dopamine is also connected by research with RLS (restless leg syndrome) and difficulty to concentrate in various tasks. However the research to these topics lead to use DRI (dopamine reuptake inhibitors ) in order to increase the dopamine concentration in brain as it is thought that dopamine is being used up too fast by the receptors.

These things are troubling me as I do have RLS and I am COMT++ (both known genes) and MAO ++, so assuming I have increased dopamine in my brain I should not face mood swings or RLS or it is something I do not understand.

Anyhow I would like for us to use this thread to discuss COMT matters as they come in light by research.