• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AfME: Discussions with CFS Research Foundation

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I came across this other article published recently that I thought interesting and perhaps related to the research mentioned and described in the link:

Because evidence now suggests that a lot of pain comes from the brain and spinal cord and is more about a difference in how individuals sense pain

I'm puzzled that this is being presented as a 'new' discovery. It's been known for decades that pain involves multiple processes between the site of damage and the final interpretation in the brain. Different painkillers act in different locations on the pathway. And some chemicals amplify pain sensation (e.g. prostaglandins). The fight-flight response will tend to abolish the perception of pain so that the threatened individual can focus on defence or escape. Etc.