• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alternative to Dexedrine- how to increase similar neurotransmitters

alice111

I have come to realise that Dexedrine significantly helps my mood. The problem is I cannot increase it as it also has other effects such as increased heart rAte etc. I know that it works in dopamine, not really sure how or what other neurotransmitters it effects. Surprisingly it also helps with irritability, and negative anxiety.

My question is are there other ways to increase the same neurotransmitters?
Natural supplements?
Or reuptake inhibitors? Any experiences with SNRI's or dopamine reuptake inhibitors?
Something else?

Thanks!

drob31

I have the same result with stimulants. They make me feel dramatically better--even just caffeine. I think it's not just the dopamine but the norepinephrine and adrenaline release. Dexadrine is an amphetamine, I believe. I think there were many factors involved, but my issues started when I was taking caffeine and ephedrine, and they made me feel better when I took them. Almost like an infinitely long withdraw....

I don't have any experience with what you listed, but I know Welbutrin blocks dopamine reuptake, increasing dopamine levels. Modafanil is another interesting drug, which increases CNS activity. I was thinking about experimenting with both. The important thing is not to make things worse, however.