• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ampligen as foreigner??

misskatniss

Hello together, I am not familiar with the US law, so I ask myself (for a CFS patient I know, because for me it would be way too far to reach the US for anything), whether Ampligen would be available in the US for a foreign CFS patient who gets there for the treatment?? Thank you all!!

jstefl

At one time I remember reading on their website ( Hemispherx.net ) that the drug was approved in Canada and Belgium, but I just looked, and didn't see that mentioned, so it may not be true.

There is a study going on where Ampligen is being used in combination with seasonal influenza vaccine.

The website does mentioned that over 40,000 doses of Ampligen have been delivered to clinical trial sites.

The website also gives links to peer reviewed publications if you want to do some additional research.

SOC

Hello together, I am not familiar with the US law, so I ask myself (for a CFS patient I know, because for me it would be way too far to reach the US for anything), whether Ampligen would be available in the US for a foreign CFS patient who gets there for the treatment?? Thank you all!!
Ampligen is only available through clinical trials, I think. I don't know if any of those trials are currently taking new participants. Even if they are, you wouldn't know if you were in the Ampligen group or the placebo group. It also requires several times a week infusions, so you'd need to live near the test site for a length of time, which would be costly, particularly expensive if you were a placebo patient and wasn't even getting the Ampligen. :eek: So I don't think Ampligen is a currently a viable treatment option for most patients. Nice if you can get it, though. ;)

misskatniss

PS: Noooo I can neither get nor afford it. But as I don´t even know whether I have viral issues, it´s ok. I was asking for a friend who doesn´t speak English that well. Thank you guys!

Iquitos

It would probably be better to ask directly of one of the practitioners who are engaged in the trials. Like Dr. Peterson, Dr. Enlander or one of the other 6 or 7 docs who are participating. There are age restrictions and other criteria for getting into a trial. but as far as I know, if you have the money and fit the criteria, you can get into such a trial. You don't have to be an American.

Check out the blog of UK journalist who did just that: came to the US (near Dr. Peterson at Incline Village NV) and blogged his way thorough at least a year's treatment. I've forgotten his name but his blog is here on PR.

Daffodil

it has been approved under a compassionate use program in canada since 1996, but no doctor will agree to prescribe it.

JohnnyD

Lots of misinformation in these posts. It would be best to contact the company directly. Here is the clinicaltrials.gov site listing showing the cost recovery/compassionate care trial (AMP516). The page states they are currently recruiting (if you can afford to pay), but contact the company directly, as things change. Contact information is on the page:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00215813?term=ampligen&rank=7

vli

It would probably be better to ask directly of one of the practitioners who are engaged in the trials. Like Dr. Peterson, Dr. Enlander or one of the other 6 or 7 docs who are participating. There are age restrictions and other criteria for getting into a trial. but as far as I know, if you have the money and fit the criteria, you can get into such a trial. You don't have to be an American.
Yes this is true. This is what I did.

Check out the blog of UK journalist who did just that: came to the US (near Dr. Peterson at Incline Village NV) and blogged his way thorough at least a year's treatment. I've forgotten his name but his blog is here on PR.
His name is Kelvin Lord. I don't see him on PR anymore.

Tired of being sick

The drug was created in the 70's
So if it has not yet been approved for "ANY" medical diagnosis treatment in 40 years let alone CFS /ME, for that matter !
It never will be, at least in our lifetime..
Politics/profit always trumps over human well being or life..

Last edited: