• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anonymous begin campaign to free Karina Hansen

yeah, keeping ME patients in psych wards is hugely unproductive. it saddens me to hear of these practices in europe, tho likely it's happening in north america too and we're just not getting the reporting.

wish there was something I could do but I don't have any money, only time.

alex3619

yeah, keeping ME patients in psych wards is hugely unproductive. it saddens me to hear of these practices in europe, tho likely it's happening in north america too and we're just not getting the reporting.

wish there was something I could do but I don't have any money, only time.

This has happened in the US and Australia at least, that I know of, not just Europe. Karina and Sophia are not isolated events.

Anonymous social activism is something I am still unsure about. The concept is good, but there are risks too. In my view people should be willing to stand up and be accountable, in public. So I support many of the same issues, but do so publicly.

Organizations designed to support public activism are part of the next wave of democracy. We no longer have to be silent. The people have always had the power to change things, but the systems are in place to convince people they should not do so. Indeed, there is some wisdom in that too as popular ideologies do not necessarily mean they are wise ideologies. So sweeping social fads should not become unduly influential. These are deep and complex issues and deserving of open debate.

One thing is clear though. Social communities, including online, have an impact on the world. That can be used for good or ill. We need to be responsible, but we also need to be involved ... silence may sometimes be necessary, but it will not lead to change.

PennyIA

I think part of the issue is that the first part of the video was being spoken in English which is not their native language. But, in all honesty, at least it's trying to get the word out. It's trying to state the laws and which laws they feel aren't being justly applied in this circumstance. I loved that they videotaped the confrontation with Per Fink. And while he didn't admit to anything and we're unlikely to convince him to change his mind, at least it's public that he's being publicly shamed for his treatment of Karina... and if Karina continues to worsen, there's evidence that he was confronted.

Now, if only they'd 'get' it and realize that she is NOT getting better thanks to GET and CBT and it's time to change tactics. Sadly, it might just take too long. I'm sad that it's continued as long as it has.

CBS

My concern with this type of campaign is that no one knows who it is that has appointed themselves to implement a form of vigilante justice. That said, in the absence of a just and humane system of self rule, I have no problem with extreme efforts meant to rectify an extreme and inhumane injustice.

Act Up never said "please."

adreno

PR activist
It does have an iconic representation in that mask though?
I guess so. But it also means that any kid with a mask and a camera can make a video for whatever cause they fancy.

I highly doubt this video will be taken seriously by anyone in authority, and might even serve to cement their perspective of the "fringe" or "deviant" nature of the patient.

alex3619

I guess so. But it also means that any kid with a mask and a camera can make a video for whatever cause they fancy.

I highly doubt this video will be taken seriously by anyone in authority, and might even serve to cement their perspective of the "fringe" or "deviant" nature of the patient.

Or be promoted as such. Whatever we do can be misused against us. Its why its so important for us to act reasonably and within the law.

Misuse of the concept of anonymous social activism is one of the reasons I am against it. Its stronger to do things with one's own identity clear.

Empowering people who are too afraid to do much, due to coercive threats from authority, is one of the reasons I am for it.