• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another new study links Autism to vaccines

ahmo

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/fox-guarding-henhouse-cdc-vaccine-safety
...It's been quite a while since I've had the urge to blog. Throughout the years when I was writing regularly, even when very angry, I always had a positive feeling that awareness was growing and answers would be found. However, I've lost that feeling in a growing realization of just how corrupt the people we need to save us actually are. I haven't wanted to write from a place of negativity, because God knows there's already enough bad news, but the recent CDC whistleblower scandal, dismissed by the mainstream media, has given me twitchy fingers again....

...If they had been honest, how might the world be different today? Might vaccinations have been questioned in an even broader context than black boys with autism? What about the combined effect of all vaccines on innate immunity, in not just black children, but all children? What about children with M.E.? What about children with autoimmune diseases? 5 authors took responsibility for that paper. How many papers did they publish collectively which state unequivocally that vaccines are safe (even though the various package inserts state pretty clearly they are not)? More than half of our children have a chronic disease. Is this one of the reasons why? I say one of the reasons, because there are so many confounders, so many ways our children have been poisoned in our toxic world, in addition to vaccines. Since some unvaccinated children are autistic, does that mean that vaccines do not cause autism? Of course not, but that is what our vaccine experts would have you believe.

Falsified data, drug companies indemnified from consequences, media outlets proving beyond a shadow of doubt that their talking heads are shills for industry, eye witnesses of the damage done discredited as nutcases or worse. It can only be called a conspiracy....

About the Author: I am a 59 year old physician. My daughter, Ali, and I both have ME/CFS....

cigana

Biased researchers are never in our interest, doesn't matter which way the bias goes. We are not looking for a particular result, but where the facts lead us.
That's what I mean, if the biased researchers happen to lead us in the direction of the facts, then that could be a good thing (though of course a shame that it had been the result of bias).

barbc56

In the same way, a space alien who knew nothing about medical practice would eventually notice the drugs, drugs, drugs people are taking and wonder what they were for. He would wonder whether swallowing them was part of an ongoing religious ceremony. He would see how dedicated people are to their medicines

Yes, we are a pill popping culture but it's important to remember that this "pill popping" mind set also extends to vitamins and supplements.

Frankly I, don't see the difference other than medicines, though certainly not perfect, have some science backing which gives them a bit more credibility when it comes to prescribing them.

It is funny how I've always thought those scientists with competing interests are the least likely to help us.
Maybe the fact that these researchers (in the above mentioned study) do have reasons for being biased could actually go in our favour for a change (despite it being an unscientific incentive

Starting a study with preconceived biases is not how science works. Doing this tends to lead to studies that are not valid and has the potential to make the researchers feel justified if they manipulate or falsify the data..

It should work as @adreno describes in his post,

Barb

barbc56

@ahmo

I do not consider that person to be a credible source of information, even if she means well.

Others may disagree with that statement.

Barb

xchocoholic

I hope this isn't too off topic .... dr oz had a great segment just the other day on thimerosal still being used in flu vaccines. I can't believe that so much about the dangers of this are known. Sorry I can't provide the link.

Tc .. x

ahmo

@barbc56 This is the first I've seen of her. I looked a bit thru her blog, haven't read the piece in its entirety. I got it via Sayer Ji's newsletter, who I also only learned of in the past couple months. Thx for the heads-up, anything further to say about her?

barbc56

@barbc56 This is the first I've seen of her. I looked a bit thru her blog, haven't read the piece in its entirety. I got it via Sayer Ji's newsletter, who I also only learned of in the past couple months. Thx for the heads-up, anything further to say about her?

No
Barb

Ren

Author of article shared by ahmo in post #21:
Jamie Deckoff-Jones, MD is a wounded healer. She is a graduate of Harvard University and Albert Einstein College of Medicine. She has practiced on each side of the medical divide, from emergency medicine at a Level 1 trauma center to private practice, providing off label treatments as the doctor of last resort. Dr. Jamie has been blogging her experiences at X Rx Blog. She is currently in private practice treating chronic neuroimmune illnesses. Primum non nocere is the prime directive.

http://www.x-rx.net/blog/
See also: http://www.x-rx.net/blog/about-me / Tuczon, Arizona contact info: http://x-rx.net/

(I don't know either though if the author is credible or is who she says she is, etc. [See posts #29 and #36.] Maybe someone in the Tuczon area might know something at some point and be able to comment - since it's good of course to know where neuro-immune aware docs can be found.)

Last edited:

rwac

natasa778

yes i am constantly reading stories of how my child took a sip of that ! organic ! orange juice and suddenly after hellish screaming etc. was instantly autistic.

LOL thanks for that golden - it would be hilarious if the whole situation wasn't so tragic.

Whatever the reason for the massive increase in autism numbers the CDC and other 'public health experts' are blindly sticking to the blah blah better diagnosis rubbish official line for idiots, every one of them silently hoping that they will have left the office by the time the shit hits the public awareness fan.

... The quantitative comparison of IDEA snapshot and constant-age tracking trend slopes suggests that ~75-80% of the tracked increase in autism since 1988 is due to an actual increase in the disorder rather than to changing diagnostic criteria ...

ahmo

OMG! I'm just watching a BBC doco re kids w/ Tourettes Syndrome. " 1 in 100 kids, mostly boys" have it. Presumably this means in Britain. Unbelievable. Who even knew this name 20-30 years ago???:bang-head: Some massive forces have been unleashed on the current generation. I say forces because I can't find a better term. Presumably there's some sort of epigenetic bombardment. Sorry, nothing scientific here, just me being appalled.:eek::cry:

natasa778

OMG! I'm just watching a BBC doco re kids w/ Tourettes Syndrome. " 1 in 100 kids, mostly boys" have it. Presumably this means in Britain. Unbelievable. Who even knew this name 20-30 years ago???:bang-head: Some massive forces have been unleashed on the current generation. I say forces because I can't find a better term. Presumably there's some sort of epigenetic bombardment. Sorry, nothing scientific here, just me being appalled.:eek::cry:

Well you might be interested to hear that the #CDCwhistleblower Dr Thompson, the one who snitched CDC finding and then hiding MMR risk of autism, also now says CDC discovered and then covered the effect of thimerosal-containg vaccines in development of tic disorders.

This is just a recent quote from him (Sorry don't have links or details, but should be easy to google.):

Flu shots for pregnant women? God no! “I can say confidently I do think thimerosal causes tics. So I don’t know why they still give it to pregnant women. Like, that’s the last person I would give mercury to. Thimerosal from vaccines causes tics. You start a campaign and make it your mantra.

“Do you think a pregnant mother would want to take a vaccine that they knew caused tics? Absolutely not. I would never give my wife a vaccine that I thought caused tics.

Last edited:

Undisclosed

Well you might be interested to hear that the #CDCwhistleblower Dr Thompson, the one who snitched CDC finding and then hiding MMR risk of autism, also now says CDC discovered and then covered the effect of thimerosal-containg vaccines in development of tic disorders.

This is just a recent quote from him (Sorry don't have links or details, but should be easy to google.):

Flu shots for pregnant women? God no! “I can say confidently I do think thimerosal causes tics. So I don’t know why they still give it to pregnant women. Like, that’s the last person I would give mercury to. Thimerosal from vaccines causes tics. You start a campaign and make it your mantra.

“Do you think a pregnant mother would want to take a vaccine that they knew caused tics? Absolutely not. I would never give my wife a vaccine that I thought caused tics.

This comes from the conversation that was recorded between Hooker and Thompson. I am not convinced that it hasn't been edited in some way because those are some very strong statements. The following is from a press briefing from the study that Thompson did regarding thimerosal back in 2007. None of this suggests a CDC cover-up (bolding is mine)

From the press briefing:
http://www.cdc.gov/media/transcripts/2007/t070926.htm
JUDITH GRAHAM, CHICAGO TRIBUNE: This is – thank you for the press conference and for taking questions. A multipart question.

First is, I note the finding that speech articulation issues are associated with the thimerosal, and you didn′t comment upon that. They are found both among all children and with lower IQ findings among girls. Is this a finding of concern or not? Has it been documented in other studies? What is your comment upon the speech articulation issue?

DR. ANNE SCHUCHAT: Yes, thank you for that question. Let me begin, and then I′ll let Dr. Thompson expand. A rather technical aspect of this study is the very large number of tests that were done and the very large number of statistical comparisons that were made. There were 42 different kinds of tests that were carried out and there were 378 individual statistical comparisons. When you do a very large number of statistical comparisons, the chance of finding things that are abnormal, that are higher or lower in a high thimerosal group is pretty high.

So we would predict by chance alone that 19 of the first 378 individual statistical tests that we ran would be abnormal just because of this chance situation. And, in fact, we found 19 individual tests or just exactly five percent of the very large number of tests that were abnormal.

Now, just 12 of the tests suggested better results in the standardized testing from kids who had high thimerosal exposure. And seven of the results suggested worse performance in the kids who had high thimerosal exposure. The individual tests or the individual statistical comparisons don′t necessarily tell us as much (INAUDIBLE) the picture together because these neuropsychological tests are really a tapestry and interpretation is looking at consistency. So our interpretation of, you know, the speech articulation finding is that it is a random chance event.

The reason that I made additional comments about the motor and phonic TICs was because even though that could easily be just that statistical chance thing, that particular results had been identified in earlier studies. And so that led us to feel additional consideration may be needed. When our scientists did the fancy version of statistical testing of these data where you control for the multiple comparisons that are being made, nothing was actually statistically significantly associated with worse outcomes in the high thimerosal group.

DR. WILLIAM THOMPSON, EPIDEMIOLOGIST, NATIONAL CENTER FOR IMMUNIZATIONS AND RESPIRATORY DISEASES, CDC: Yes, I would just mention that we did mention the speech articulation finding in the discussion, and show that it′s a very small effect from a two standard deviation change in your exposure variable to thimerosal causes 0.29 – an increase of 0.29 articulation errors. So that′s less – that′s one-third of the speech articulation error.

The – regarding the IQ effect, it was difficult to interpret because we found that among girls increasing thimerosal exposure was associated with lower verbal performance. But with boys increasing thimerosal was associated with increased performance IQ. So again, reiterating what Dr. Schuchat said we interpreted it as random associations that we found by chance. In addition, for that birth to one month exposure period we found five significant associations where it looked like there was a beneficial association of higher thimerosal exposure.

So what has happened -- Did Thompson lie during this press briefing as part of some CDC cover-up. What kind of work has he done since that study that shows some kind of association between tics and thimerosol and not only that but also pregnant mothers getting flu shots which results in their children developing tics.

If he is going to claim a positive association between thimerosal and tics then why not claim the apparent association between thimerosal and increased performance IQ in boys. Why -- because he knew it was due to random chance as he explained in the press briefing. You don't see big pharma glomming onto the results -- give your boys thimerosal because it will make them smarter because they know it's utter crap. You don't see pro-vaccination groups pushing the IQ angle (and the other 5 positive outcomes) because they know it's utter crap. So why is Thompson even making these statements. I think we need to hear an explanation from him at some point.

Also how about the actual biological possibility of a flu vaccine causing damage to a fetus. Hmm -- mother injected with thimerosal containing vaccine. Almost all the ethylmercury from the thimerosal is excreted via the mother's bowel. How does the tiny amount of mercury get into the fetus? We do know the symptoms of mercury poisoning and they does not resemble autism or a tic disorder.

And just how much ethylmercury (aka thimerosal) are pregnant women exposed to everyday? How is it possible that thimerosal containing flu-vaccines are at fault when every day environmental exposures are far greater.

Common Sources of Ethylmercury
http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diffdx/mercurysources.html
Compiled by Melissa Kaplan

Products containing ethyl mercury thiosalicylic acid as a preservative:Antitoxins
Cosmetics, including makeup removers, mascara, and eye moisturizers
Desensitizing solutionsEar, eye, and nose drops
Eye ointments
Mercurochrome®
Merthiolate topical antiseptic
Soap-free cleaners
Some contact lens solutions
Topical medicated sprays
Topical medications
Tuberculin tests
Vaccines (including most influenza vaccines and Sanofi's avian flu vaccines)

Other common sources of mercury:Adhesives
Air conditioner filters
Amalgams (silver fillings)
Auto exhaust
Batteries
Bleached flour
Calomel (talc, body powders)
Cinnabar (used in jewelry)
Drinking water (tap and well), plumbing and piping
Fabric softeners
Felt
Floor waxes and polishes
Laxatives
Paint pigments and solvents
Pesticides
Processed foods
Vegetables and fruits exposed to pesticides
Wood preservatives

Why did Thompson make this causal statement in light of what he has said in the past. Don't you think before you make definitive causal statements, you might want to base it on more than an observational study where you have already agreed that the positive results are down to random statistical chance.

From a later study which supports what Thompson was saying at the press briefing:

http://jpepsy.oxfordjournals.org/content/37/1/106.long
Objective The authors used a public use data set to investigate associations between the receipt of thimerosal-containing vaccines and immune globulins early in life and neuropsychological outcomes assessed at 7–10 years. Methods The data were originally created by evaluating 1,047 children ages 7–10 years and their biological mothers. This study developed seven latent neuropsychological factors and regressed them on a comprehensive set of covariates and thimerosal exposure variables. Results The authors found no statistically significant associations between thimerosal exposure from vaccines early in life and six of the seven latent constructs. There was a small, but statistically significant association between early thimerosal exposure and the presence of tics in boys. Conclusions This finding should be interpreted with caution due to limitations in the measurement of tics and the limited biological plausibility regarding a causal relationship.

So lets not make definitive causal statements until there is research to back it up. One would think that an epidemiologist that works for the CDC would know this. I wish he would make a public statement about this because none of it makes sense.

rwac

I wish he would make a public statement about this because none of it makes sense.

He did make a public statement:

http://www.morganverkamp.com/august...-relationship-between-mmr-vaccine-and-autism/

I regret that my coauthors and I omitted statistically significant information in our 2004 article published in the journal Pediatrics. The omitted data suggested that African American males who received the MMR vaccine before age 36 months were at increased risk for autism. Decisions were made regarding which findings to report after the data were collected, and I believe that the final study protocol was not followed.
My concern has been the decision to omit relevant findings in a particular study for a particular sub group for a particular vaccine. There have always been recognized risks for vaccination and I believe it is the responsibility of the CDC to properly convey the risks associated with receipt of those vaccines.

Iquitos

Author of article shared by ahmo in post #21:

http://www.x-rx.net/blog/
See also: http://www.x-rx.net/blog/about-me / Tuczon, Arizona contact info: http://x-rx.net/

(I don't know either though if the author is credible or is who she says she is, etc. Maybe someone in the Tuczon area might know something at some point and be able to comment - since it's good of course to know where neuro-immune aware docs can be found.)

She is as credible as anyone else. She and her daughter both have ME and have been through the same abuse and disdain as other patients like us even though she is a medical doctor herself. Personally, I have a great deal of respect for Dr. Deckoff-Jones. I've been reading her blog(s) for several years and have been in email contact with her. Yes, she's exactly who she says she is.

ahmo

While looking for some folate info I came across this piece by Ben Lynch. The final paragraph is not his, but from a study he's quoting to reinforce his own hypothesis:
http://mthfr.net/folic-acid-fortification-increase-in-mthfr-and-rise-in-autism/2012/05/11/
If we sit back and evaluate the dates when folic acid fortification began and the fast rise of autism – do they correlate?

“In Spain, the prevalence of the MTHFR 677TT genotype has reportedly approximately doubled in the population since the introduction in 1982 of folic acid supplements for women in early pregnancy”…

“Folic acid fortification and supplement use might be “a genetic time bomb.” The first premise of this dramatic claim, that folic acid use increases the proportion of children born with the T allele of MTHFR, is as yet poorly documented and is clearly in urgent need of further study.

Studies of the MTHFR genotype frequencies in children before and after fortification should be carried out in countries planning fortification of food with folic acid. Thus, saving fetuses that have a genetic constitution that favors abortion or nonsurvival could lead to children being born with genotypes that favor increased disease during life”"[1]

Folic acid fortification started heavily in 1992.[2]

Autism began to quickly rise in 1993.

In the early 1990s, autism diagnoses began to soar. In the 10 years between 1993 and 2003, the number of American schoolchildren with autism diagnoses increased by over 800%. In 2006, the CDC noted a slight decrease in the number of new cases diagnosed.[3]

Autism began to rise at the same time folic acid fortification began.

Is the rise of autism due to an increased survival rate of babies with MTHFR defects?

...I cannot summarize their study better than they, so here is their conclusion:

It is hypothesized here that the enhancement of maternal folate status before and during pregnancy in the last 15 years has altered natural selection by increasing survival rates during pregnancy of infants possessing the MTHFR C677T polymorphism, via reduction in hyperhomocysteinemia associated with this genotype and thereby miscarriage rates. This also points directly to an increased rate of births of infants with higher postnatal requirements for folic acid needed for normal methylation during this critical neurodevelopmental period. If these numbers have increased then so have the absolute number of infants that after birth fail to maintain the higher folate status experienced in utero thus leading to an increased number of cases of developmental disorders such as Autism. Detection of the C677T polymorphism as well as other methionine cycle enzymes related to folate metabolism and methylation at birth as part of newborn screening programs could determine which newborns need be monitored and maintained on diets or supplements that ensure adequate folate status during this critical postnatal neurodevelopment period. source