• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any point trying L-glutathione

Hi everyone

I never tried L-glutathione or acetyl-glutathione, is there any point of trying?

I have read atleast for L-glutathione that very little or none of the active substance is reaching it's destination.

On the other hand I read some reviews at supplement sites about L-glutathione of how well it works (I do take that with a grain of salt).

I have already combined glycine, glutamine and cystein in order to take use of glutathione but it's not working out.

Any comments?

Thanks

Critterina

General wisdom here is to take the supplements to that support making your own glutathione, like you said. But everyone is different. I have a friend who is a nurse, whose doctor recommended glutathione-S. It made a huge difference for her. She has other issues, including hypothyroid, but not ME/CFS.

PeterPositive

Personally I take 1500mg of Reduced Glutathione (Jarrow) and it helps significantly with inflammation.
I have noticed it right after taking the first few capsules.

I've tried acetyl glutathione but it did not work as well. Maybe it's because of the dosage. The typical acetyl glutathione supplement comes in 100mg caps while the regular form is 500mg. I would need 15 caps to match the dosage I usually take.

On top of that I am following a methylation protocol to restore my ability to produce endogenous GSH

cheers

General wisdom here is to take the supplements to that support making your own glutathione, like you said. But everyone is different. I have a friend who is a nurse, whose doctor recommended glutathione-S. It made a huge difference for her. She has other issues, including hypothyroid, but not ME/CFS.

and just like you say....we are all different

The only thing that makes me a bit concerned is if L-glutathione are not readily for the body as a supplement. So no effect, actually no effect on anyone taking it. That's what I read on a few sites / pages that L-glutathione in it's form will not be utilized by the body. Not sure if I believe it though. Plus I like to believe in things LOL.

Personally I take 1500mg of Reduced Glutathione (Jarrow) and it helps significantly with inflammation.
I have noticed it right after taking the first few capsules.

I've tried acetyl glutathione but it did not work as well. Maybe it's because of the dosage. The typical acetyl glutathione supplement comes in 100mg caps while the regular form is 500mg. I would need 15 caps to match the dosage I usually take.

On top of that I am following a methylation protocol to restore my ability to produce endogenous GSH

cheers

Actually peterpositive that's the L-glutathione I was considering if ordering a bottle, tons of reviews on 1 site about them. It's a $26 bottle so no big deal if it might help me, I've spent $100's of dollars already in trial and error testing so that wont make a bigger hole.

I think ill order 1 on monday, so I've tested that one as well and if it doesnt work out well 1 less supplement to think about.

Thanks for your comments!

PeterPositive

@Azrael
Some people have had very negative effects from supplementing with glutathione. If you search this site, I'm sure you will find reports.
Seconded.
Given that some people have had bad reactions to L-glutathione it would probably be best to start with a small-ish dose and monitor any changes. You could start as low as 50-100mg and gradually increment if you don't have any problems.

cheers

I will definitely do that, im very sensitive and will see early if it is working or not.

I will do super small doses even smaller than that.

Thanks

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I found liposomal glutathione very helpful when my body was in terrible, inflammedn& toxic condition. I discontinued taking it due to the expense.

Thanks I did some searches on liposomal, I read there's also a cream/lotion you can take which better recycles glutathione in the body.

Which product did you take ?

I see most of them are pretty pricey too.

I got my glutathione today in the mail took my first capsule 20 min ago. Keeping you posted.

So I've been testing out this glutathione supplement last days (Jarrows glutathione reduced) and it's not all bad. I do feel some symptoms but there's a few good ones as well.

Im taking small doses from the capsule 2-3 times per day.

The first day my eye cloudiness started to disappear, concentration and focus was also a little better. Those positive attributes were gone the next day. 2nd and 3rd day I started getting symptoms and it felt like taking taurine, extreme fatigue and sleepiness at the same time. So was just for me to go lay down and rest.

Today was my first feel of clarity, my brain fog was gone when waking up and my sleep overall felt better than before. After I ate breakfast the brain fog was back though.

To sum it up, im definitely going to keep taking this supplement, hoping and seeing it will get better the longer i take it.

The taurine effect I was talking about is heavy now so I need to stop typing and try taking a nap.

Adlyfrost

Hi everyone

I never tried L-glutathione or acetyl-glutathione, is there any point of trying?

I have read atleast for L-glutathione that very little or none of the active substance is reaching it's destination.

On the other hand I read some reviews at supplement sites about L-glutathione of how well it works (I do take that with a grain of salt).

I have already combined glycine, glutamine and cystein in order to take use of glutathione but it's not working out.

Any comments?

Thanks
If you have variants on SNP's SHMT, CTN, GSTP1 or GSTM1 deletion it could be very difficult for you to make glutathione, which is the case for me and supplementation has been a lifesaver.

However, make sure you take a Glutathione recycler because it becomes a free radical when it neutralizes other free radicals. I take NADH with it.

Last edited: