• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any Scuba divers out there w/severe CFS?

http://www.autismspeaks.org/news/news-item/scuba-diving-therapy-man-autism
Scuba is becoming therapy for some things like PTSD, Autism, Traumatic Brain Injury. There are also a lot of instructors who are trained in teaching people with special needs now. Of the five places I inquired with in San Diego, two had instructors trained in teaching people with special needs such as those above, but also ADD. This is so cool.

I also wonder if scuba diving (or simply breathing compressed air at pool depth) could replicate the benefits of (very expensive) hyperbaric oxygen treatment for CFS and/or Lyme (I have both) and for much cheaper.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Hi Wendy,

One of the doctors I've worked with at my hospital is the head of hyperbaric medicine and has trained naval seals for the past 25 years. He is an expert about all maters dealing with dive medicine and has authored a book about diving. If you pm me, I'll give you his name and number at the hospital. Just mention my name and I'm sure he will be able to help you with your questions.

Best,
Gary

does he by any chance want to do research on patients with a condition with interesting metabolic effects?? :D

How many of us were scuba divers before getting sick? I used to scuba dive here in my country, but no so often, maybe once every two months. Now i know i couldn't carry the weight of the equipment which is about 30-35 pounds from the store to the beach, so i haven't gone scuba diving since onset of the illness. Also, i would be very afraid of going too deep, or get a panick attack down there.

It's very sad for me since that was one of my favorite hobbies. I also did rock climbing and paragliding. I was kind of bold. Now i feel afraid of doing anything like that.

I think I'm going to rent a sea scooter and see how it is in the pool. I'm worried that it will exhaust my arms just holding onto it. But want to find out.

Here is another diver propulsion vehicle I found...Still in the prototype phase....
This is so cool!

Jarod

Clever kids! Nice garage.

Wonder if they can adjust the boyancy on that puppy? Looks like it was floating at one point, and then later was resting at a level below the surface.