• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any West Coast Labs Measuring ATP Production?

pemone

Does anyone know of a West Coast US lab that is actively measuring ATP production during exercise, either on a research basis or on an outpatient test? The tests I have been seeing in research literature are based on measuring photoluminescence of ATP, such as:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3593988/

I know there is a guy in the UK who is measuring ATP production of CFS patients using similar techniques. Unfortunately, he is backlogged and cannot handle the test volume he has. It's an expensive test and has quite a lot of hassles associated with getting him a sample overnight from anywhere outside the UK.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@pone - 4-1/2 years ago I had several tests done by Acumen Lab in Great Britain, ordered by Sarah Myhill (her mitochondrial profile). One of the tests was an ATP profile which revealed rather severe problems with ATP production. I know this is not the test you are looking for re ATP production during exercise, but it might be helpful to you.

The lab is run by Dr. John McLaren Howard - I don't know if he's the guy you're referring to above who is backlogged. Anyways, I'm in California and was able to get samples to him in a timely manner using FedEx. Here's a link with contact info: http://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/news.php?id=2327#newspost

And the testing was reasonable, all things considered. My doctor in the U.S. said it would have been much more expensive to get the testing done here.

I don't know if the lab takes orders from U.S. doctors. Myhill's website said she is not taking new patients but may reconsider this policy in January 2015.

pemone

@pone - 4-1/2 years ago I had several tests done by Acumen Lab in Great Britain, ordered by Sarah Myhill (her mitochondrial profile). One of the tests was an ATP profile which revealed rather severe problems with ATP production. I know this is not the test you are looking for re ATP production during exercise, but it might be helpful to you.

The lab is run by Dr. John McLaren Howard - I don't know if he's the guy you're referring to above who is backlogged. Anyways, I'm in California and was able to get samples to him in a timely manner using FedEx. Here's a link with contact info: http://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/news.php?id=2327#newspost

Yes, that is the guy. But he refuses to take new tests. And when asked for a list of doctors he will accept tests from he says it would break the law for him to give that information out? What?

Myhill also refuses to take new patients.

In any case, the way I want to use this testing is get a before and after exercise snapshot of ATP production rates. And some kind of photonic tester probably offers a better way to get realtime results.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@pone - That is bizarre that he won't tell you the names of doctors he will accept test requests from! Nothing with this DD is easy.

Myhill's website does say she will reconsider taking new patients this month, 1/15. And, there is a link on this page to the "British Society for Ecological Medicine" which might be useful to find another UK doctor who might be able to order the mito profile from Acumen: http://www.doctormyhill.co.uk/wiki/Advice_to_new_patients_suspended_Sep_14

And I know that's not the testing you're looking for - let us know if you find it.

Hello--I'm very new at this so please forgive if I've posted incorrectly.

I am seeking a US lab that does the "ATP Profile" test. I understand there are those in the UK that do this test but I am more comfortable working with a US lab.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.