• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else have severe facial pain as a symptom?

PNR2008

I had a strange crisis that landed me in the ER twice in one week. My spine felt on fire, my legs, arms, back felt like someone took a blow torch to them. There was a low grade fever and my face was flushed. I was given steriods and anti inflammatories (vicodin didn't touch the pain). My face hardly ever flushes even with a temp but it was red for many hours. Finally it seemed to go away by itself the meds barely helped and the drs had no idea what was going on, called it a FM flare-up.

Ocean

Hi Ocean, have you ever had your jaw checked for abbesses and cavitations? What happens is that people get an infection in their jaw normally from a dental procedure like having a wisdom tooth taken out, the infection then spreads over time and literally starts rotting the jaw bone, and the infection can then enter the blood stream and cause symptoms everywhere, this may explain the facial pain if the infection is flaring at times and hitting a nerve in the jaw it would explain it appearing in several places, and the flushing could be explained by the body reacting to the infection flaring.

There is a member of the forum called Ian who was diagnosed with CFS but later found that this was the problem and was cured after it was treated, he seems to know this subject very well and has posted about it here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?9212-My-recovery-story maybe if hes still around you could PM him about it.

Cant promise thats what it is, but it sound possible.

Regarding Lupus rashes, they vary considerably, and the ones you see in the pictures are the more dramatic ones, you dont even have to have this rash to have lupus, the only way to tell is to have the right tests done, which are more than just the ANA test.

Hope you track down the cause soon!!

All the best

Thanks for the idea. I had read the posts by that member coincidentally. I will have to reread some of those posts. Thank you.

Ocean

Thanks so much everyone. I'll have to go through the thread with a notepad and write down the suggestions and look into them before I see my doctor. I wish there was a quick easy answer. Thanks for all the options to look into!

Calathea

It's probably not the same thing, especially as I don't get the flushing, but I do sometimes get nasty pain around my left eye socket and cheekbone. It turned out to be referred pain from a shoulder muscle, possibly some sort of trigger point. The shoulder muscle involvement was easy to spot as it was very painful and the muscle was nearly rigid. I found that the most effective thing was to use a spiky massage ball in a sock and massage the trigger points/muscle knots/whatever with that. The sock is so that you can stand against a wall, dangle it over your shoulder, and wriggle about against the wall to get the spiky ball to massage you, without constantly dropping the ball or finding that it's fallen to a different area.

Whoever it was who is getting pain at the bottom of their ribcage on the right - how bad is the pain, and how long does it last for? If it's severe to extreme pain and it goes on for a few hours rather than days or weeks, I'd get your gallbladder checked out.

anna8

I,m new here and I,m no expert! But after read a lot but by no means all! In my opinion a lot of the symptom of me could be explained with having jaw bone cavitations! Which I have been diagnosed! Most people with cavitations don't' have any facial pain so they don't think to look there! When I first came across cavitations it was like a light bulb moment, as nothing else that the doctors had pointed to fitted in to how I felt! But unfortunately its by no means an easy solution!
I may be going to go to the Munro hall in the UK to have surgery done soon, if the hospital once again have no answer!
I'm not telling anybody what to do but it may be something to consider!
I been really ill with all the same symptom as many of you here! But have never been diagnosed with ME! But after coming across this site I have been in total shock of how many people are suffering like me! I can't tell of how many different emotions I've had to think you may all be suffering like me! I have so many confused thoughts I don't know how to put them into words!

One of my PEM/flare symptoms is severe facial pain, primary in my nose, cheeks, and jaw area. It's a hard pain to describe, it feels almost like it's in the bones. Once it comes on, there is no way to get rid of it except possibly sleeping if off overnight. Regular laying down rest doesn't get rid of it, neither does a nap, medication, cold or warm eye mask, etc. It feels absolutely awful and hard to do anything else when it feels that way. Does anyone else get this?

Another PEM/flare symptoms I get is bright pink/red facial flushing in the cheeks and nose. I'm not sure if others get that one either. I don't see it mentioned. I get this quite often without the pain, but it seems that I don't get the pain without the flushing. Facial and nose swelling is another symptom I get as well, most mornings I wake up with this but sometimes it comes on or worsens mid-day.

I'm having the bad facial pain now, along with swelling and flushing, and it just made me wonder if anyone else has this, and if you do, if you know what it is, and is there anything you've found that helps with the pain. Thanks.
Hello. I am new to this. Ocean, I wanted to know in the 2 1/2 years since you posted almost 3 years have you gotten any relief for the pain in your face and the flashing that's going with it? I have been experiencing exact same thing for almost 3 months now and all my test results were good except for the fact that I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia! I had spine surgery in August but I don't think it is a factor. All tests for lupus etc. were negative.Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I didnt know the following till just now.. I just found out that Carcinoid syndrome can also cause facial flushing which can be triggered by various things including exercise.

http://dermatology.about.com/od/facialflushing/a/ffcarcinoid.htm
Carcinoid syndrome can be diagnosed through a 24 hour urine test ,make sure that you're clear for at least two weeks of all serotonin medications as it is diagnosed through the presence of the serotonin. My father had it. The cancer was never never able to be gotten rid of. And they never found in what part of his body it originated. M.D. Anderson in Texas is the best place to go for that. Good luck

Okay sushi, thank you for the information. However, do you know if anyone else from the thread or not is experiencing a terrible facial pain and the flashing? Do you know if anyone finally found a way to get rid of it?also, how does PE M manifest itself?
Thank you

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
However, do you know if anyone else from the thread or not is experiencing a terrible facial pain and the flashing?
I don't know. If you click on a member's avatar (picture) you can see when they were here the last time. Then you can tag them (like this: @Grandma5) and they will get an alert to read your post.

how does PE M manifest itself?
It manifests differently in each, but it is often a severe exacerbation of all your symptoms that happens a day or more after physical or mental activity.

Sushi