• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone have high bone density?

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
I had a bone densitometry scan today because my doctor was concerned about osteoporosis. I am inactive due to ME/CFS and my calcium intake is low due to food allergies and intolerances and problems with calcium supplements (constipation). There is also a family history of osteoporosis, I am 54 years old and I have a slight build (165cm and 55kg). All risk factors for osteoporosis.

I was very surprised to find out that my bone density was high not low. I have a Z score of 2.63 for femoral neck and 2.51 for lumbar spine. It seems that a high bone density of Z score 2.5 and above is a problem and can have a number of causes, some of them looking pretty nasty.

A couple of causes are heavy metal toxicity, high vitamin A and high vitamin D. My vitamin D levels are fine, but I haven't been tested for vitamin A or heavy metals.

Does anyone on PR have high bone density? Is this one way that the body copes with ME/CFS or is it due to something else?

Appreciate your wisdom.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Does anyone have access to full text articles on Pub Med? I would like to read the following article about high bone density but can only access the extract. Is it possible to post a link to the full text on this thread?

PMID: 15722580. M Whyte J Clin Densitom "Misinterpretation of Osteodensitometry with high bone density BMD Z > or = 2.5". 2005 Spring 8(1): 1-6.

Many thanks.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Does anyone have access to full text articles on Pub Med? I would like to read the following article about high bone density but can only access the extract. Is it possible to post a link to the full text on this thread?

PMID: 15722580. M Whyte J Clin Densitom "Misinterpretation of Osteodensitometry with high bone density BMD Z > or = 2.5". 2005 Spring 8(1): 1-6.

Many thanks.

Try asking here.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Sorry Me Sci but when I click on "here" PR says I don't have permission to go there. Are you suggesting a different forum?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@AndyPandy
seem to think you had to have posted 100 times before you could access the library?????? or maybe I'm thinking of a different forum. Someone will tell you I'm sure.