• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone here is going to start Pridgen's protocol?

Folk

I'm going to see some docs this week to see if they can help me with the protocol.
If not I'm going to start it on my own.

Since the results were very positive, who here is going to start doing the protocol soon?

ukxmrv

Hi Folk,

I've already been on a version if the protocol (with lower doses) for a while now just by coincidence as another doctor suggested this. Recently I changed from Valtrex to Famvir with the Celebrex. I am only on a low dose of each as financially I cannot afford to buy more though.

Folk

Hi Folk,

I've already been on a version if the protocol (with lower doses) for a while now just by coincidence as another doctor suggested this. Recently I changed from Valtrex to Famvir with the Celebrex. I am only on a low dose of each as financially I cannot afford to buy more though.

How's that working out for you? to soon to tell?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
From what I have seen, this protocol is more effective for fibro than for ME/CFS. So your diagnosis could be an important part of a decision about whether to try it.

Sushi

Hip

@voner recently asked me about the idea of using herbal COX-2 inhibitors in place of the celecoxib used in Dr Pridgen's protocol, with the view to reducing or eliminating the risk of gastric side effects produced by such NSAIDs. My response I have copied below, in case it is of use to anyone else:

I did some reading into this, and to cut a long story short, I think herbal COX-2 inhibitors are not going to be as good as pharmaceutical COX-2 inhibitors like celecoxib, in terms of an antiviral effect.

This is because celecoxib inhibits both COX-1 and COX-2 (although it inhibits COX-2 more), and this study suggests the antiviral action is much greater when you inhibit both COX-1 and COX-2 at the same time.

Basically that study found that inhibition of either COX-1 or COX-2 alone caused a moderate reduction of pseudorabies virus growth (25-fold to 30-fold), but when both COX-1 and COX-2 were inhibited simultaneously, either with a nonspecific COX inhibitor or with a combination of specific COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitors, pseudorabies virus yields were dramatically reduced (greater than a 200,000-fold reduction). Note that the pseudorabies virus which the researchers studied is similar to herpes simplex.

However, in terms of side effects, this study found a higher risk of gastric damage arises when you use both COX-1 and COX-2 inhibition at the same time, as you do when you take celecoxib.

A potent COX-2 inhibitor supplement appears to be propolis; this is a powerful COX-2 inhibitor, but has very little COX-1 activity. It's the caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE) found in propolis that provides most (90%) of the COX-2 inhibition of propolis.

Now the study suggests this will make propolis much safer than celecoxib, in terms of risks of gastric damage. However, from the above study, the antiviral effects appear to be much less when you inhibit just COX-2 like propolis does.

So in summary: unfortunately it seems when you inhibit just COX-2 (with supplements) it is much safer, but also much weaker in terms of antiviral effects.

One solution might be taking celecoxib transdermally:

I read one study that indicates transdermal administration of celecoxib is viable. This should prevent the stomach side effects.

I did a transdermal experiment with celecoxib myself: I took the powder out from two 100 mg capsules of celecoxib, and placed this powder on the skin on the top of my thighs while I was sitting down, and then added a few drops of water on the skin, and rubbed the powder in. The powder immediately dissolved in the water, and seemed to absorb well into the skin.

Taking celecoxib transdermally this way may help avoid the risk of damage it can cause in the gut.

Agents that protect against NSAID-induced gastric damage:

The following supplements and drugs, taken at the same time as oral celecoxib, may be preventative against gastric damage:

Vitamin C protects against aspirin-induced gastric damage.

Grape seed extract protects against aspirin-induced gastric damage just as well as vitamin C does (but GSE has a long half life, so it may give you all day protection).

Proton pump inhibitors reduce the gastric side effects of NSAIDs, and can even repair any gastric damage caused by NSAIDs. However, proton pump inhibitors reduce stomach acid secretion, and this might negatively affect digestion.

ukxmrv

Sorry about the late reply @Folk

I'm having problems getting the drugs. My NHS doctor won't supply them (Celebrex he tells me is banned in the UK and he won't prescribe the antivirals) so I am having to buy privately.

At the moment I am out of Famvir and using up my existing supply of Valtrex but at a low dose only. Celebrex is still providing a long lasting effect on my pain. I can stop and start that and the pain relief remains for a while.

So too soon for me to comment on the Famvir/Celebrex combo until I can afford to buy some more.