• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone in the Pridgen/Duffy study? Positive results emerging

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
Study on ACV resistant strains of HSV.
It agrees that a combination of drugs would be required to be effective against HSV:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Herpes simplex virus drug-resistance: new mutations and insights.
Authors
Andrei G, et al. Show all
Journal
Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2013 Dec;26(6):551-60. doi: 10.1097/QCO.0000000000000015.

Affiliation
Abstract

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Acyclovir (ACV) is the first-line treatment for the management of herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) and 2 (HSV-2) diseases. Long-term administration of the drug for the treatment of chronic infections in the immunocompromised host can lead to the development of ACV-resistance. This review provides an update of the mutations linked to drug-resistance and issues to be considered in the management of HSV infections refractory to antiviral therapy.

RECENT FINDINGS: Recent data have shown that HSV drug-resistance should be taken into account not only in immunocompromised individuals but also in immunocompetent persons when HSV infections involve 'immune-privileged sites'. Thus, drug-resistance typing is recommended in cases of ACV unresponsive herpetic keratitis and herpes simplex encephalitis. Several issues regarding HSV drug-resistance were highlighted by recent studies. Phenotypic and genotypic antiviral resistance may vary not only from different compartments but also over time, highlighting the importance of characterizing longitudinal HSV isolates from all sites. Combination therapy should be considered when viruses with distinct phenotype/genotype are identified at one or at distinct body sites.

SUMMARY: Surveillance of HSV drug-resistance is highly recommended in immunocompromised patients and in immunocompetent individuals with infections implicating 'immune-privileged sites' to rationally adapt antiviral treatment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24152761/?i=10&from=herpes chronic immune

Rrrr

He probably is referring to viral latency, but most of us understand about that and don't need to be told the virus is "going to sleep". :rolleyes: And scientists don't usually describe the results of their work as "miraculous".

I suppose he's using marketing language instead of scientific language. Advertising tends to aim at the lowest common denominator and be content-light. We need the science, not the advert. I guess we'll have to wait for the official scientific release for that.

the thing is, he started as a surgeon, not a researcher.

helperofearth123

Has anyone found if the results of this have come out yet? People were saying 2 weeks about 6 weeks ago, I'm very curious to see what they found.

Some where I found it mentioned that the Phase 2 trail results will be shared in mid november. Also read that there will be a big press conference prior to that.

Wally

Interview with Carol Duffy re drug treatment for HSV-1 with Famciclivor/Celebrex (article dated 10/30/2014).

http://www.as.ua.edu/home/professor-surgeon-team-headed-to-third-phase-clinical-trials/
"The fact that the two drugs worked better together was no surprise to Duffy. Previous research had shown that a particular family of herpes viruses increases the production of COX-2, an enzyme found in most cells whose levels rise during periods of inflammation. Celebrex, a COX-2 inhibitor, stabilizes COX-2 levels and, in doing so, causes herpes virus particles to become unstable.

“The Famvir inhibits the virus replication, so fewer virus particles are being made, and the Celebrex makes the particles unstable and not infectious,” she said. “Celebrex also inhibits reactivation, so you’re hitting the virus in three different ways.”

snowathlete

This is promising. I didn't realise things were as advanced as they are. Raising that sort of cash isn't easy but their is potential there even if it only works out for one or two disease groups. So are they looking specifically at ME/CFS as well or is it just Fibro and IBS?

catly

Thanks @Wally for that update. So now we know the anti-viral is Famvir--humm, maybe need to ask my MD to switch my antiviral from Vatrex to Famvir???

Also, found this intersting from the article "Daniel Clauw, director of chronic pain and fatigue research at the University of Michigan and one of the world’s leading experts on fibromyalgia, joined their scientific advisory board." In light of the fact that he is presenting to the P2P panel in December.

Bob

So are they looking specifically at ME/CFS as well or is it just Fibro and IBS?
That's what I was wondering. ME/CFS isn't specifically mentioned in the article, and I'm wondering why. Perhaps they are clever and realise that it's so much easier to attract funding if you don't mention ME/CFS? (i.e. it's impossible to get large amounts of funding if you mention ME/CFS!)

Last edited: