• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone want to go on the Wahls Protocol with me?

TigerLilea

If you haven't done so already, check on YouTube for Dr. Wahl's videos which are very informative. :thumbsup: I'm interested in doing some of her diet, but don't think I could stick to it strictly - at least not to start with.

Hi hopeful2 and TigerLilea,

Thanks for letting me know that someone out there has summarized the levels Hopeful2. It's not really kosher in terms of copyright, but at least people can search it to get the basic info before they get the book (and I won't need to summarize it ;-)

Yes, I have seen the videos. They are great. And it is a very difficult diet to stick to. My functioning has been so low lately that I've decided I have to do something. I know from experience that a diet similar to this helps me a lot if I can only stick to it!

Hi Anjikun,

My book arrived this afternoon and now that I have it in my hot little hands I can see that the summary I found online was not entirely complete. I don't blame you for not wanting to summarize it on here for copyright reasons. I feel the same way. Thank you for warning me about the kindle version. I've flipped through the book a little to get a general overview of what was inside and can see there are a number of tables that probably would have been difficult to read on my kindle and that would have frustrated me.

I skimmed through the 3 levels of the protocol and can see that I'm already doing a few of the things, for example I've had severe reactive hypoglycemia for over 30 years and so I don't eat any sugar and really have to limit my carbs. I also recently decided to go gluten free.

I plan to read through the entire book before I start making any changes to my diet. My gut can't take major changes all at once so I'm just going to try and make changes in small incremental steps and see how it goes.

Ema

From Underground Wellness/Sean Croxton podcast:

"The power of healing is within you. All you need to do is give your body what it needs and remove what is poisoning it. You can restore your own health by what you do -- not by the pills you take, but by how you choose to live."

I stumbled upon these words while reading Dr. Terry Wahls’ new book, The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine, and couldn’t get them out of my head.

Take it from a woman who used real food to stand up from her tilt recline wheelchair and reverse a brutal condition like multiple sclerosis, when you give the body what it needs it will heal itself.

Tonight on Underground Wellness Radio, Dr. Wahls will teach you exactly how those suffering from autoimmune conditions, as well as chronic diseases like obesity, diabetes, and even mental health problems can become well once again.

We go LIVE at 5pm PT/8pm ET (3/1).

Here’s the link to listen via internet. (Replay link, too.)

If you’d like to get on the air to ask the doc a question, please dial 347-237-5608 during the live broadcast. This number will also allow you to listen by phone."

sparklehoof

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with CFS and have also had many MS-like symptoms. One of my worst CFS symptoms (in addition to fatigue) at this point is lack of ability to focus. A few years ago I was actually diagnosed with adult ADHD, but I really think it's part of the whole CFS thing.

I would like to try the Wahls diet protocol, but for me compliance is tough, because I get tired so easily and that makes me want to eat the wrong things. Right now I'm eating a pretty poor diet (I used to eat low-carb Paleo, but I've fallen very far from that wagon!) and I would like to try going on level 2 or 3 of the Wahls protocol (or my unique combination of level 2 and 3) basically cold-turkey.

I feel like a need a "buddy" or a small support group to give myself the best chance of succeeding. Is anyone on here interested in doing this with me? We could communicate on this thread or start a communication thread or group somewhere else (FB, G+ or wherever). The idea would be to check in with each other daily to stay motivated and exchange tips/tricks etc.

Also, if anyone is interested but hasn't read the book yet I could wait to start. I live in Montreal and it's still freakishly cold here. It may be better for me to hold off on a major diet overhaul until it starts warming up a bit!

Also, please let me know if this thread should be in a different place. I didn't see "diet" in the list of treatments in the Treatments section, so I put it here.

Mary
Hi,
I started looking into the Wahl's protocol tonight and wondered if you're still doing it? I've tried lots of diets and I like the concept but unfortunately haven't had any improvement and I dread going on them. I've found that I get caught in a cycle where I start out with good intentions and then usually feel hungry and or light headed and feel distracted. I then usually start to feel weak, sometimes dizzy and more tired. Once I'm in this state (which is 75% of the time even when I'm not dieting) I just want to sleep and eat something bland (like the super fast, convenient, tasty, filling, satisfying carbs like cereal:). I struggle to get to the store and cook all of my meals as I don't usually have the energy or I have to give up most other activities. (Ex. I may be able to see friends socially once every week or two and get out to run a few errands 2-3 days/week.) If I need to be at the market 1+ times per week and spend 1+ days cooking I won't be able to do anything else. Or I let my fresh expensive produce and meats go bad because I chose to rest:)

I wondered if you have had any of the same challenges and if you found that the diet helped you to have the stamina to cook and shop? (If those were ever a problem for you.) Also, I wondered if I may have more success if I could have Wahl's home delivery, but I don't think that exists:). Thanks