• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

are UTIs more common...

Hip

I have a recurrent urinary tract infection / kidney infection, and when it flares up, my fatigue and brain fog levels increase very significantly for several days, until I can get the infection under control with antibiotics, etc.

I acquired a recurrent urinary tract infection several years prior to developing ME/CFS (the latter arising from a respiratory virus I caught).

I often wonder whether chronic recurrent UTIs are common comorbid conditions in ME/CFS patients, and whether chronic recurrent UTIs play a causal role in ME/CFS. Certainly I know my UTI significantly exacerbates my ME/CFS symptoms.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) are known comorbid conditions in ME/CFS. Interstitial cystitis (bladder pain syndrome) and overactive bladder are known comorbid conditions in fibromyalgia.

I have not seen any studies linking recurrent UTIs to ME/CFS, but I imagine that there might be a connection.

Symptoms of a lower UTI include:

cloudy urine
needing to urinate more often during the day or night, or both
pain or discomfort when urinating
an urgent need to go to the toilet (holding in your urine becomes more difficult)
urine that smells unusually unpleasant
blood in your urine (haematuria)
pain in your abdomen (tummy)
a feeling of tenderness around your pelvis
back pain
a general sense of feeling unwell

Symptoms of an upper UTI (kidney infection) include:

a high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or above
uncontrollable shivering
nausea (feeling sick)
vomiting
diarrhoea

Source: here.

totally agree with @Hip post and the flare up

i found this interesting. i got UTI often which annoys me and the really bad one in the past for a long time/chronic and nearly got kidney. i notice that it is somewhat correlated with my condition but im not sure.
i read that candida, lacto overgrowth and some other similiar type of issues could contribute to it.

xchocoholic

One of my very first symotoms was waking up with bladder spasms every morning. Ow!

people with leaky gut can have problems processing oxalates in their diet. As long as i avoid high oxalate foods my uti symptoms are under control. I'm not up on the other ways that oxalates can be a problem.

The yahoo trying low oxalate board was the most up to date when I was reaearching this.

I had candida on my last cdsa so I need to treat it. It would be nice is treating this solved my oxalate problem. I get kidney stones too tho.

tc ... x

Last edited:
I have seen UTIs on 1 or 2 "CFS" symptom lists. I don't remember sources. I have seen infections also (not specifying what kind of infection).