• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Armour & Cortef safe with methyl supplements?

Hey all:

Anyone taking Cortef and or Thyroid (Armour/natural/Synthroid) noticed that by taking Methyl B12 or Methylfolate or a combination of the two, sending them into a hyperthyroid or hyperadrenal state, possibly confirmed by blood tests or doctors?

I have heard some people say they think this is what might be going on in some people who begin methylation treatment while taking horomone replacement. But, If one is taking horomone replacement, does it not shut down or significantly inhibit the production of thyroid and adrenal horomones until the medication is stopped or tapered down? Why would methylation cause the glands to start producing more horomones if the body is getting its need met (tricked) into thinking there is an adequate supply through supplementing thyroid/cortef??

Any knowledge to be shared on the topic?

Thanks everyone

Lynn_M

I have been on thyroid supplementation for 65 years, starting at age 2. Before starting methylB12 and methylfolate, I was on 2.5 grains of Naturethroid and I felt good. A few months after starting methylation supplements, I started getting intermittent atrial fibrillation. I dropped to 2 grains and the AF eventually went away. My T3 and T4 are comparable now to what they were when I was on 2.5 grains.

I don't think methylation supplements cause the body to produce more thyroid hormone. I have a congenital thyroid disorder, thyroglossal duct cyst, and I don't think I have any functioning thyroid tissue. I think the explanation for my improved thyroid functioning is that better methylation helps the body better utilize the thyroid hormone that is available. I've had the mechanism explained to me by Dr. Ben Lynch, but I don't remember the details right now. But the methylation cycle does ultimately impact thyroid functioning.

pela

I was taking hydrocortisone when I began using B12 properly, per Freddd's protocol. My need for hydrocortisone vanished and I weaned off it, leading me to speculate that my so-called adrenal problems were really B12 deficiency.
I was also intolerant of thyroid meds and was taking T3 only. Since I got going on B12 and quit hydrocortisone, I was able to tolerate T4/T3 again. I now take MORE thyroid hormone that I did before, because now I can convert it to a useful form and tolerate it. I find I need both B12 and enough thyroid hormone to feel good. I like to have my free T3 at the top of the range.

So in answer to your question, yes, I was taking both when I began B12, and no, no hyperness.

Gingergrrl

I take 1/8 grain per day of Armour (7.5 mg) and was not able to tolerate the methylation supplements (but I have very strong reactions to things that others tolerate well) so not sure how representative my answer will be! And I have never taken cortef.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
As I understood it the "caution" wan't interaction but that methylation therapy can sometime quickly help normalize thyroid function--so the instruction from Rich was to monitor your thyroid closely if you were both taking thyroid medication and doing a methylation protocol.

Sushi

Ema

I went from almost no production of cortisol on a blood test to a pretty good AM cortisol...all on a full replacement dose of dexamathasone/HC. That shouldn't have happened. Conventional "wisdom" says my adrenals should have been fully suppressed at the dose I was on, but my adrenals apparently didn't get the message. I can't really explain why this happened, but it surely did, and I have the bloodwork to prove it.

It wasn't a bad experience, though, and I was then able to wean down my steroid dose until I was off them completely. For a time anyway, until a crash...

I think that we are different from those with autoimmune disease processes in either the thyroid or the adrenals in that we have a brain dysfunction. When that dysfunction is corrected (either by improving methylation, treating infection, etc) anything is possible regarding return of function to the affected gland.

bertiedog

I have been taking specific supplements for methylation since 2007 but my need for 2 grains dessicated thyroid hasn't changed. I still also need 6mg Prednisolone daily for my adrenals.

So in my case taking MB12 and the other active Bs plus folate hasn't changed my endocrine system at all.

Pam