• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ask Dr Ron Davis a question!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Nice idea on the Facebook page of Dr Ron Davis's new CFS Research Center:

We are excited to announce that we will be starting a weekly "Ask Dr. Davis" where you can submit questions on here and we will pick one every week to have him answer! So start posting your questions! We will be posting an answer to one next week!​

He's just posted an answer to the first one.

https://www.facebook.com/cfsresearchcenter

Remember, he's a top-flight geneticist and not (I think) a clinician so questions should be related to research, especially genetics research.

Here's his foundation's website:

http://cfsresearchcenter.org/

His son has severe ME and is a member of this forum.

We're very lucky to have a scientist of Dr. Davis's calibre on board.

Another very worthy target for donations... :thumbsup:

OverTheHills

Wow. That is the best ME photo I have ever seen on the site banner.

That photo suggests ME/CFS is big trouble not just a bad day. it does not look like a beautiful person with a mild headache.

Alas I'm not a Facebook person so I can't comment on it but perhaps someone else could pass on my strong congratulations:thumbsup::balloons:
OTH

aimossy

I think they would be fine about emailing a question to them through their contact us details on the website. On their website they aren't just planning looking into genes only. Looks like they have a whole host of different studies and domains planned that they want to study in ME/CFS.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
The article by Laura Hillenbrand on the foundation’s website is excellent.
My psychiatrist had found me to be mentally healthy, but my physicians had concluded that if my symptoms and the results of a few conventional tests didn't fit a disease they knew of, my problem had to be psychological. Rather than admit that they didn't know what I had, they made a diagnosis they weren't qualified to make.
Emphasis mine.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Fascinating answer to a question (not sure what question!) by Dr Davis (which I've broken up for ease of reading with my bolding):

https://www.facebook.com/cfsresearchcenter/posts/669996576405468

Dr. Davis says:

CFS/ME physicians tell me that CFS/ME often starts shortly after a case of “mono” as reported in the question. This could be an opportunity to study CFS/ME in its early stages.

By sampling and archiving material from mono patients over time we might find a few cases where mono transitions to CFS/ME.

Mono is usually caused by EBV. However, the mono that transitions to CFS/ME could be caused by a different microorganism. This different microorganism could be a virus, bacteria, fungus, or parasite. It can be identified by DNA sequencing.

Even organisms that have never been seen before and will not grow in culture in the laboratory can be identified by DNA sequencing from patient samples.

This requires extensive computational analysis and computer power. In collaboration with Eric Delwart and Chunlin Wang we have identified several new viruses from patients using these methods. I used the example of EBV to illustrate that it could be a rare variant of a common virus.

This rare variant can be identified by DNA sequencing. Our current sequencing is a million times better than it was during the time of the Incline Village outbreak.

In addition, if we identify patients that are transitioning from Mono to CFS/ME, we can also conduct extensive physiological analyses of them (e.g., blood and urine metabolites, immune cell expression, genome sequence, etc). This analysis may help find a cure, and prevention, of CFS/ME.​

Gingergrrl

Fascinating answer to a question (not sure what question!) by Dr Davis (which I've broken up for ease of reading with my bolding):

https://www.facebook.com/cfsresearchcenter/posts/669996576405468

Dr. Davis says:

CFS/ME physicians tell me that CFS/ME often starts shortly after a case of “mono” as reported in the question. This could be an opportunity to study CFS/ME in its early stages.

By sampling and archiving material from mono patients over time we might find a few cases where mono transitions to CFS/ME.

Mono is usually caused by EBV. However, the mono that transitions to CFS/ME could be caused by a different microorganism. This different microorganism could be a virus, bacteria, fungus, or parasite. It can be identified by DNA sequencing.

Even organisms that have never been seen before and will not grow in culture in the laboratory can be identified by DNA sequencing from patient samples.

This requires extensive computational analysis and computer power. In collaboration with Eric Delwart and Chunlin Wang we have identified several new viruses from patients using these methods. I used the example of EBV to illustrate that it could be a rare variant of a common virus.

This rare variant can be identified by DNA sequencing. Our current sequencing is a million times better than it was during the time of the Incline Village outbreak.

In addition, if we identify patients that are transitioning from Mono to CFS/ME, we can also conduct extensive physiological analyses of them (e.g., blood and urine metabolites, immune cell expression, genome sequence, etc). This analysis may help find a cure, and prevention, of CFS/ME.​

"
@Sasha that is an excellent question and my CFS started with mono although I did have other triggers. I am not on Facebook so I don't think I can pose a question but if I did it would probably be more clinical vs. research so I leave it up to you guys!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
"
@Sasha that is an excellent question and my CFS started with mono although I did have other triggers. I am not on Facebook so I don't think I can pose a question but if I did it would probably be more clinical vs. research so I leave it up to you guys!

I don't have a clue about Facebook, I'm afraid - but I can see what is being posted. I leave it to others to do any posting! :)