• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autistic infant improves with Vitamin D

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
From Physician's First Watch:

Child with Autism Sees Improvement After Vitamin D Supplementation
By Kelly Young
Edited by
- Susan Sadoughi, MD, and
- Andre Sofair, MD, MPH

A child's autism symptoms improved following vitamin D supplementation, according to a case report in Pediatrics.

A 32-month-old boy in China was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder with a baseline 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] level of 13 ng/mL. Supplemental vitamin D3 was administered intramuscularly (150,000 IU monthly) and orally (400 IU daily). At the end of the second month, the patient's parents had noted significant behavioral improvements (e.g., the child began responding to his name, the frequency of self-injury was reduced). His serum 25(OH)D level had risen to 81 ng/mL.

The authors speculate that supplementation with vitamin D could affect the modulation of neuropeptides that regulate the immunologic process and decrease the production of autoantibodies in autistic children.

They caution that their results should not be generalized to all autism patients and conclude that large, long-term, controlled clinical trials are needed.

You can read the abstract here and view the first page here.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Here is the first page for anyone who has difficulty reading it from the link.

Attachments

• First paqe of paper on autism and Vit D 2014.pdf
    136.5 KB · Views: 11
Supplementing with D seems like such a no-brainer, for everyone! Personally I take between 7,000 - 12,000 IU of D3 each and every day.
This reminds me of an article I read recently on the effects of Glutathione / NAC for autism. Certainly some promising studies being done on this front. Always lifts my spirits when natural supplements prove to be so effective.