• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

auto-immune paleo diet for pain & inflammation

Mary

Moderator Resource
About 6 months ago my sister started developing chronic pain and inflammation. This followed a very traumatic event at her job coupled with some major physical stress. She's thinks there's a connection but of course no one knows for sure. She's never had anything like this before but it sounds a lot like fibro.

A nutritionist friend of hers recommended she try the auto-immune paleo diet (see http://aiplifestyle.com/what-is-autoimmune-protocol-diet/) and she's getting results, less pain, feeling better. She also started taking a bunch of supplements - B complex, B1, B12, folate, D3, lots of fish oil and some other things. Also her thyroid needs support.

You're supposed to follow the diet for 6-8 weeks and then gradually add things back in to see how you tolerate them. Before she got sick, she ate a lot sugar.

She also forces herself to stretch and exercise, even though somewhat painful, as she feels better afterward.

I know it's a very limited diet, but it is temporary, and for people who deal with a lot of pain and inflammation would be worth a try I think. And my sister also said she doesn't feel deprived eating this way.

Mary

ahmo

I've been on GAPS diet 2+ years. It's said Paleo is for well people, GAPS for unwell. Including lot's of moms w/ autistic kids, and folks like us. My diet has been extremely limited, as I don't include histamine and sulfur/high thiol foods, tho eat small portions of meat. It's been one of the foundations of my healing. One of the basics is high fat to aid in healing and sealing of gut and nervous system. I've just added in Beans:woot::woot:

Mary

Moderator Resource
I know people have luck with changing their diets. Even if I wanted to I couldn't do this because I have IBS-C. Eating a lot of this stuff would give me serious cramps, bloating and constipation.

There's a link here somewhere on how to make your own bone broth. Think this is it.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/bone-broths.27821/#post-436942

minkeygirl - that's a pain (no pun intended!), having to deal with IBS-C. Here's a link to an interesting article about IBS-C, which mentions that low stomach acid can be one of the causes (it also talks about other causes): http://scdlifestyle.com/2011/10/ibs-c-naturally-heal-constipation/

low stomach acid is very common in people with CFS, my doctor had me start taking HCL with meals many years ago and my digestion improved a lot. I've found extra HCL is very important for meals that are high in protein and hard to digest, like meat and eggs. I presume you've tried cutting out sugar, gluten, wheat and dairy and other common allergens.

Bone broth sounds interesting, I may make it some time - thanks for the link!

Mary

Mary

Moderator Resource
I've been on GAPS diet 2+ years. It's said Paleo is for well people, GAPS for unwell. Including lot's of moms w/ autistic kids, and folks like us. My diet has been extremely limited, as I don't include histamine and sulfur/high thiol foods, tho eat small portions of meat. It's been one of the foundations of my healing. One of the basics is high fat to aid in healing and sealing of gut and nervous system. I've just added in Beans:woot::woot:

Ahmo - I've never heard of the GAPS diet before, but I have come to learn how greatly we are affected by what we eat. My digestion is 95% better than it used to be, largely due to a liver detox for chemical solvents I had been exposed to and adding in HCL, as well as probiotics. But I'm glad to hear this is helping you. The typical American seems to be a recipe for illness!

Mary

Gondwanaland

Ahmo - I've never heard of the GAPS diet before, but I have come to learn how greatly we are affected by what we eat. My digestion is 95% better than it used to be, largely due to a liver detox for chemical solvents I had been exposed to and adding in HCL, as well as probiotics. But I'm glad to hear this is helping you. The typical American seems to be a recipe for illness!

Mary
I am exposed to lots of chemicals on a daily basis, what kind of liver detox did you do?

izzy

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Izzy - I just saw your post. The detox I did was under the supervision of my chiropractor who does muscle testing. The exposure to chemical solvents was at a job I had when I was 19 - a long time ago -- but still affecting my liver some 30 years later. Anyways, the muscle testing confirmed that my liver problems stemmed from this exposure, and my chiro gave me Parotid, a supplement by Standard Process (I know there's a parotid gland but different than that) and Cholacol II also by Standard Process. I took these supplements for a month, it made me very tired and was a bit rough but I stuck it out and am very glad I did, my digestion improved 90% after the detox. I also started taking milk thistle and hydrochloric acid with meals and have no complaints now.

If you are continually exposed to chemicals, obviously that's not good. I would suggest taking NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) (two 600 mg. caps a day is a standard dose) very important in to support the liver and help with toxins (see http://www.liversupport.com/wordpress/2008/05/n-acetyl-cysteine-is-a-liver’s-ally/, also just do a little research here). Also, milk thistle is very good for detoxing and helping to protect the liver. Also, lemon juice is very good for the liver, helps cleanse it and helps with digestion.

MaryI

Gondwanaland

Hi @Mary , thanks for your detailed reply. This will help me in my research on what to do specifically for my condition. Exposed since 2007 and under cotinued exposition to acid vapors still at least for another year. I hope at some point I will find a good doctor to help me.

xchocoholic

Imho, this highly restrictive diet may not be required to reverse inflammation. Some people will only need to eliminate their food and environmental intolerances. Common intolerances are gluten, dairy, corn, soy and chemicals.

Others, like me, may require a more restrictive diet but I'd start with a simpler plan. A diet free from gluten, dairy, corn, etc ... 1 at a time if that's your comfort level. I hate to see people esp pwcs get overwhelmed by trying this diet.

I wound up on a paleo/low oxalate diet after seeing my body needed it. I'm currently experimenting with gf processed foods and legumes for convenience.

Imho, in some cases, positive results attributed to this diet could just as easily been attributed to that person removing their intolerances. I meet celiacs regularly who really just need to avoid eating gluten on purpose and are "ok" eating gf processed foods that are more than likely cross contaminated. I envy their return to health and a more "normal" diet.

Juicing is a good way to get nutrients. But you need to watch that too. Consider intolerances. Based on my experience, those avoiding high oxalate foods shouldn't juice these. Duh !

Tc .. x

paleo/low starch diet is the only thing that has normalized my ibs-c and helped my chronic auto immune iritis/arthritis/ myalgia

NilaJones

I react to all grains, and to high histamine foods. I do fine with eggs, cumin, vegetable oils, potatoes, and stevia (all not allowed in the OP's diet).