• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B2 I love you!

girlfromeurope

I take sublingual active B2, aka Flavin mononucleotide, or riboflavin-5′-phosphate (R5P)
My dose ranges from 25 to 50mg/day.

It is supposed to work better than inactive oral B2 because it skips the digestive tract and it's already in the coenzymated form. Judging from the color of my pee it is well absorbed. I illuminate the whole bathroom :)

If you have never taken it before you can start at a lower dose, say 5-10mg, see if it helps and maybe increase the dose gradually. B2 is generally considered very safe, but starting gradually it's always a good idea.

Okay thanks! :)

Violeta

I started to read the messages in the B2 I love you thread and the whole Hair Mineral Test thread that also contains messages about B2 and found some points that someone might find interesting.

Vitamin D uses B2, and in the spring time we are automatically getting more Vitamin D because of more day light. I find my need for B2 has risen.

Also, (wish I would have known this,) niacin uses up B2. I added in niacin to lower histamine levels that I think may have been brought on by allergy season. I've had a bad cold and sore throat along with very sore, chapped, peeling lips for 10 days, and during that time I noticed that when I took niacin my throat would almost immediately get worse.
I also got pink eye 4 days ago. I started to take Vitamin A along with the B2, as they are supposed to work together. Vitamin A is good for lung health, too.

I can't even express how much I appreciate all the time dogperson took to explain this information about B2. I don't know if there is any place else on the web where this is available. Thank you, dogperson, so much for the help you have provided to so many people here.

Violeta

NOW brand B2 works just fine for me, my husband, and my dog. The only thing is, since it's a 100mg capsule, I have to break them down, which is time consuming. Tablets would be easier, but usually contain extra ingredients.

I know the thread is long, so I'll just add that it was said early on that you don't need to use the activated (more expensive) form.

Violeta

This is a clip from a comment made by dogperson about toxic copper and iron stores in the liver and how it relates to B2.

A 90 pound German shepherd client, age 9, had severe niacin deficiency, as observed by the black deposits under the skin. All his life, he was very aggressive and required additional training to keep him under control. His tan fur also turned an orange color, which the breeder told the owner was just like all the others from his lineage, not knowing this was a sign of inability to use copper. Everywhere he licked turned a plum or bronze color.
The dog was started on just 2 doses of B2, at 6.25mg/dose. He very slowly and gradually was increased to his current dosage of 25 mg. of B2, 8 times a day and twice during the night for the past 3 months. If we increased his dosage too quickly, he would again become extremely aggressive and agitated, the discharge from the ears would worsen, he could not stop itching and chewing at the black spots on his belly and his stools would turn orange and very loose. Currently, he continues to improve as his black deposits are fading, hes stopped having a black discharge from his ears, he no longer licks and chews at his groin and can now be peaceful when at the grooming salon where the owner works. His retest chart indicates that his stores of B2 have not begun to improve. However, his iron and copper indicate much better usage by the liver. Better usage = elimination as well as ability of the liver to manufacture more carrier proteins to work with the extra iron. His manganese level is coming up, indicating that he has enough B2 to convert Folic acid to its active form, which activates choline, which allows the liver to store manganese. When you can retain manganese, the ER structures in the liver keep healing and as they heal more iron and copper can be released.

We have two female cotons. One of them has had a reddish black build up of something around her genitalia, and the other one doesn't. I never asked the vet what it was, nor did the vet ever comment about it, but since once of them didn't have the buildup, I didn't think it was normal.

When I started to take B2, I started to give my dogs small amounts once or twice a day. When I was grooming her a couple of weeks later, the buildup had decreased very significantly. Now it's almost completely gone. I think that's pretty amazing.

I'd like to thank dogperson again, for information that I have not seen anywhere else.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Recent research has found that riboflavin is one of three vitamins involved in the regulation of circadian (daily) rhythms in humans and other mammals. Riboflavin helps to activate certain light-sensitive cells in the retina of the eye that synchronize the animal's daily biological rhythms with the solar light/darkness cycle.

Sorry if this has been answered - I'm a bit brainfoggy today and am having trouble reading through this thread very quickly.

Given the above, does it matter what time you take the dose of B2?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I had forgotten about taking it before meals. It is to be taken with food that has fat and a bit of Ca such as dairy. She suggested Annie’s white cheddar bunny crackers to me. The food that I have to eat with my supplements is going to turn me into a blimp! :nervous:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I can't have dairy - I'm on a version of the Paleo diet that excludes it. I think I'll just have to have some nuts & broccoli. Hope that's enough Ca!

Tunguska

I was taking regular B2 around 25mg per meal and had a slight improvement in energy which eventually could no longer replicate.

Recently I switched to oral R5P ~30mg once or twice a day and it noticeably helps with energy. That's taking it with all the other Bs.

One thing that worries me is this: http://www.smart-publications.com/articles/excess-vitamin-B2-riboflavin-can-be-toxic . Should I be worried about eye damage? I read about tryptophan-associated eye damage but never riboflavin. What might mitigate it?

I was also wondering why the AOR multivitamin (http://www.aor.ca/products-page/vitamin-b2-riboflavin/multi-basics-3/) contains so little riboflavin compared to the other Bs (and other B complexes). It seems the total opposite of what Dog Person recommended in this thread.

Sorry if this is already posted but thread is so long and search found nothing.

Last edited:

Tunguska

And, random tidbit, but at times I found the effect from R5P was sometimes similar to although much less pronounced than sublingual UMP (uridine).

Well by accident I read that UMP produced in the body is dependent on the DHODH enzyme, which produces orotic acid, then converted to UMP, and that DHODH requires FMN: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2883174/

DHODH catalyzes the flavin mononucleotide (FMN)-dependent oxidation of dihydroorotate to produce orotic acid.

So maybe the B2 helps restore some orotic acid and then uridine that way. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a biologist.

Violeta

I was taking regular B2 around 25mg per meal and had a slight improvement in energy which eventually could no longer replicate.

Recently I switched to oral R5P ~30mg once or twice a day and it noticeably helps with energy. That's taking it with all the other Bs.

One thing that worries me is this: http://www.smart-publications.com/articles/excess-vitamin-B2-riboflavin-can-be-toxic . Should I be worried about eye damage? I read about tryptophan-associated eye damage but never riboflavin. What might mitigate it?

I was also wondering why the AOR multivitamin (http://www.aor.ca/products-page/vitamin-b2-riboflavin/multi-basics-3/) contains so little riboflavin compared to the other Bs (and other B complexes). It seems the total opposite of what Dog Person recommended in this thread.
Sorry if this is already posted but thread is so long and search found nothing.

Tunguska, I read one of the sources cited in the first article, and it was related to toxicity of vitamins given by IV, so the light damage was done while the vitamins were in the iv bag. They didn't even prove that the riboflavin caused the liver damage, at the end they simply said the damage didn't happen when they removed riboflavin from the mix. Logically that might mean it is the light damaged riboflavin, but I doubt that type of information could be transferred to tissue riboflavin.

And yes, the AOR multi with such a small amount of riboflavin is totally opposite of what Dog Person recommended, but Dog Person's recommendation has been helping me tremendously. You could try taking just 2 mg a day and see if it helps or not.

Personally, I wonder if "they" are trying to kill us.

Last edited:

Tunguska

Tunguska, I read one of the sources cited in the first article, and it was related to toxicity of vitamins given by IV, so the light damage was done while the vitamins were in the iv bag.

Good observation, I never would have thought of that. Thanks. Gonna be more careful with the pills too.

And yes, the AOR multi with such a small amount of riboflavin is totally opposite of what Dog Person recommended, but Dog Person's recommendation has been helping me tremendously. You could try taking just 2 mg a day and see if it helps or not.

Probably will do just that. At the moment still trying to nail down all the daily cofactors the R5P needed to reliably trigger the increase in focus at the higher dose (I bet they'll be the same ones as the UMP; couldn't replicate it 100% of the time with it either). Then back off from the higher doses.

Personally, I wonder if "they" are trying to kill us.

I think they're just working by process of elimination.

Tunguska

Something can quit working when something else needed with it has become depleted. Some of the things needed with B2 are B1, B12, B9(folate), B5, B6, and maybe, manganese.

Well, it didn't exactly quit working on its own. There was a change in my general situation, and upon going back to my prior regimen I couldn't notice it doing much anymore. But back then I was using regular riboflavin with meals and the energy wasn't very distinct from anything else like CoQ10.

That's more or less what I'm trying to figure out though. Since switching to R5P (I thought the form shouldn't matter; maybe it's the brand?), I notice it much more strongly through this uridine-like effect. I can replicate it often by taking meals and tons of vitamins and taking the R5P later, but so far I can't figure out what it depends on. Hence the other thread.