• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best tolerated - Kefir? Yogurt? Lacto/Bifido Probiotics? Soil based? RS?

Seems like everyohe I have talked with that went through severe dysbiosis and extensive antibiotics, ends up needing probiotics badly, and yet struggles to get them in because of severe die off or other reactions to them.

Any thoughts on which is easier to implement...
Prebiotics like resistant starch, vs probiotics?
Yeast, like saccaromyces, vs Lacto bacillus?
Soil based vs Lacto / bifido?
Probiotic foods like kefir / yogurt vs probiotic capsules?

Possible reasons for better tolerance to one vs the others...
CFUs
Types of strains
Histamine issues
Lactose intolerance
Dairy intolerance

Any ideas, experiences or theories would be welcome.
Regards,
Viking

Last edited:

BFG

I have not taken antibiotics, but have bad inflammation in my small intestine, really bad intolerances to everything, anf alternating constipation and undigested excess fermented stools.

I have tried many probiotic pills that really didnt help much. They either caused severe herx with increased diarrhea or didnt do a thing.

Good belly (l. Plantarum) diarrhea
bio k diarrhea
Bubbies saurkraut diarrhea
Homemade kimchi diarrhea
kombucha diarrhea

Yogurt, even the best natural organic brands, made me feel agitated and increased my anxiety.
Probably due to the digested protein, which is increased free glutamates and cysteine.
Homemade kefir and storebought kefir are pretty good if you can tolerate it. They helped to some extent, but the free glutamates and calcium, lactic acid increaded excitotoicity for me. But i think they are a good choice if you can tolerate starting first with small doses.

I found A good brand is lifeway organic whole milk kefir, which has a lot more variety of bacteria like l. Reuteri, bifidobacterium and only one specie of fungi, which is good for me because im think im intolerant to fungi.
homemade kefir is a lot stronger and more acidic, with much more fungi species and i think made my weakness worse due to increasing my lactic acid levels, which are already elevated.

I think my problem is excess fermentation and leaky gut, with diarrhea and maldigested food. I have found only two things that have stopped my diarrhea within one day one bone broth/ glutamine, unfortunatly cannot handle anymore due to my extreme excitotoxicity symptoms.

And second thing is Cinnamon basil plant. Also tested thai, lemon, italian and other basil varieties but found cinnamon to always be the best. I would eat about 2 cups per day of the plant and it was the best thing i have ever tried, really a miracle.

My stools turned back to brown, bannana shaped, and no undigested foods, weight went up 10 lbs:) which was a miracle since im so underweight. But now it is winter and cinnamon basil is an annual plant and also it started giving me headaches and migraines after a while.

Have not tried resistance starch yet, but still trying to figure out the cuase of my gut inflammation, which the newest doctor ive seen thinks it might be due to lyme.

Last edited:

Martial

If you are losing a lot of gut flora you would need something strong like VSL 3 probiotics. Also keep in mind you can use a long term natural approach to clearing infections instead of pharm grade antibiotics too. It is what I have been doing since I cannot tolerate and am allergic to pharm grade antibiotics. Stuff like Dr. Zhang, Bryon White, Cowden, Buhner, etc.