• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best Way to Test for Household Mold and Toxins?

LaurelB

I apologize for starting a new thread, as I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere on the forums. However, since I am not able to be online for long periods, it can be difficult for me to do in-depth searches.

Anyway, for a variety of reasons, I don't feel that mold is a factor in my case; however, I want to be able to rule it out and at least explore the possibility it could be playing a contributing role.

There are a lot of at-home mold test kits out there, all using various techniques and with different ratings. For example, I found this Home Air Check test on Amazon, which is highly rated.

I have heard others mention Emlab (https://www.emlab.com/app/main/Welcome.po). However, when I go to their site, there are dozens of different tests listed and I don't know where to start, or how these tests compare to others.

I really have no knowledge in this area and have no idea what the best method or best lab may be. I need something really easy. Any suggestions on what test to use would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Laurel

Soundthealarm21

In my opinion, an air quality test is the best way to go. It really depends on where you live because in some places there aren't strict regulations on the people that test your house.

Soundthealarm21

Just a heads up:

the ERMI test completely missed a high amount of mold in my house. Missed Stachybotyrs (black poisonous mold), aspergillus, etc