• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Black Seed Extract 'Cures' HIV Patient Naturally

Just one case, but published.

Anyone tried Black Seed (Nigella Sativa)?

Black Seed Extract 'Cures' HIV Patient Naturally
This one might actually be on to something. One of the compounds in Black Seed is Thrymoquinone, which has a pretty good record in treating various problems. It supposedly acts as an HDAC (histone deacetylase) inhibitor. HDAC inhibitors have been effective against HIV in vitro, with a larger study recently funded to give an HDAC inhibitor a try in vivo.

Helen

A less biochemic comment on Nigella Sativa that I found in a Swedish article by pharmacists:

"A cure for every disease except for death "
Traditional Arabian medicine"

Thanks @adreno and @Valentijn . Maybe this is THE cure for us too :)

Adlyfrost

I have known many Islamic people who believe literally that black seed will cure everything. I think its in the Koran or Hadith. Not very scientific I know, but interesting. I think that's why I never tried it- don't believe in cure-alls, but it could be another helpful piece in the puzzle.

Helen

Sometimes I recall that I hadn´t been living today if not my ancestors had trusted their ancestors, trial and errors and observations. Science, that I highly respect, didn´t keep us alive though. Who knows what Nigella Sativa could bring to Western people ;).

JAM

Jill
I've had great success using it for skin issues. I take it everyday in capsule form and apply it topically for the now very rare flare up.

JAM

Jill
One capsule once a day to prevent outbreaks. An extra capsule or two and topically when I feel an out break coming, usually stops it completely. I've been taking it for about a year and a half. My next experiment is going to be adding it to lotion bars, hopefully today or tomorrow. I just discovered how to make them and think the black seed will be an excellent addition.

Last edited:
At some point I was desperate and tried a bottle. Can't tell if it did anything, but by far the hardest thing to swallow I ever put in my mouth. Like ground up liquified concentrated pine needles. Get capsules.

Daffodil

too bad we are cutting down the rainforest and ruining the oceans..who knows what cures/treatments are lost.

prostratin is made from a samoan tree bark and is in trials now i think for hiv

i'm skeptical about this black seed story, though

adreno

PR activist
Yeah, it's a non-reputable journal and just a case story, so not much to go on.

However, it is not unlikely that there are natural compounds out there with anti-viral properties on par with pharmaceuticals.

JAM

Jill
I've had results on par with pharma anti-vitals with Olive Leaf Extract, without the liver damage. It seems like people give up on the herbs after a very short time thinking they aren't working, or because they are responding and the die-off is making them sick.

Last edited:

Daffodil

I've had results on par with pharma anti-vitals with Olive Leaf Extract, without the liver damage. It seems like people give up on the herbs after a very short time thinking they aren't working, or because they are responding and the die-off is making them sick.
thanks for letting us know that. if i test positive for EBV and my doc doesnt want me on valtrex or famvir, i think i might add olive leaf extract. could i know the brand you are using? thanks!

JAM

Jill
This is the one I take.

http://www.amazon.com/Barleans-Orga...1410894208&sr=8-2&keywords=olive+leaf+extract

I've been taking it since May 3. The first few days I felt great, then horrible for almost 3 months, then great for 3 weeks, then bad for two, and now good again starting last night. It is a true two steps forward one step back thing. Research points to pharma anti-vitals taking an average of 2.8 years to bring viral loads down to a "healthy" level, so perspective is important. If you don't get sick after the first week, it probably isn't working. The getting sick is called a "herxing" and in essence is your body dealing with the "dead" virus. I have links for all of this, if I have time soon I will start another thread just for all the research I have.

Some people have said that they didn't get a reaction with Barlean's, but did with a tincture or capsules. So if one doesn't work try another. Better imo to try and fail than to miss the one that finally hits. Goodness knows I tried dozens of herbs before this one, none of them hurt anything!