• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood donation Update

VillageLife

(Saw this on ME/CFS forum)

AABB:
September 21st 2012
Received this email from the AABB:
AABB prepared a press statement on 9/18. In addition, the original position paper has been updated and sent to the Board of Directors. The conclusion is that blood collectors should revert to whatever policies they were using prior to the publication of the XMRV/MLV papers. They may still defer donors with a history of CFS if they wish - which would be for the health of the donor, not risk to the recipient.

NHS BLOOD:
September 26th 2012
UK NHS Blood Helpline:
All ME patients in the UK can still not donate blood.
All those who have a past history of ME/CFS and are now recovered are also banned from donating blood.

currer

RE NHS - Makes sense, doesn't it? there is still no idea of what is wrong with us.

I would not like to receive blood from someone sick for decades.

*GG*

Nice, cannot wait to donate now. Our community needs to be larger! My workplace does blood donations rather often.

GG

user9876

I think the NHS is quite conservative about blood donations. They say no one with a serious illness. They also say no one who has travelled to a malaria area within the last 6 months.

They have enough donors and so can be careful. Since we don't know what causes ME it is imposible to assess the risk.