• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Book: Increased Intestinal Permeability aka Leaky Gut Syndrome

Hi Nanonug, thanks for posting. Have you tried any of the various diets? SCD, GAPS, Candida, etc.? If so, did they help? Have you seen the site Heal Thyself? It's got a lot of information, but the post that I am thinking I would try to start doing is called "14 steps for Healthy Guts."

I didn't see that on the site, it's a pretty large site with lots of different info though so it might be on there. It does have some information about methylation and Amy Yasko too which I wouldn't have known about until getting on this site. Sorry to hear the diets haven't helped all that much.

Here is the information I mentioned earlier called "14 steps for Healthy Guts."

Most cost effective alternatives are whole food nutrients.

Nutrient dense foods
:

• Green Smoothie every. single. day.2 cups (any frozen fruit plus any dark leafy greens, rotate produce)
  • Homemade Milk Kefir every. single. day. 1 cup (gradually work up) (B vits, enzymes, most probiotics in proper ph)
  • Homemade Bone Broth every. single. day. 1 cup (MANY nutrients needed for detox, plus minerals)
  • Homemade Kombucha every. single. day. 1 cup (start with an ounce, increase by 1 ounce a week.) (displaces and replaces candida albicans in the gut, only if no mercury/amalgam fillings/toxicity issues, nor nursing)
  • Liver one ounce, only three times a week. (B-vits essential for detox)
  • Lentils or Beans, 1 cup per day. (folate, molybdenum)

• Coconut Oil 1 Tbls every. single. day. (medium chain fatty acids, kills candida in the large intestine)
  • fermented CLO, every. single day. (most expensive item) (vit A, D, K, EFAs)
  • Bubbies sauerkraut 1 Tbls. every. single. day. (or other raw, fermented food) (probiotics)
  • Brazil nuts 1 ONLY, every. single. day. (selenium)
  • Celtic Sea Salt a pinch in every glass of water, broth. (microminerals)
  • Lemon juice , fresh squeezed, 1 tsp. in every glass of water or smoothie. (alkalizing to body ph, paradoxically)
  • Raw local honey, 1 Tbls at bedtime. (helps bifidum bacteria to grow in the gut)
  • Egg yolk , 1 per day. (nutrients help to detox)
  • Nettles infusion, 1 or 2 cups per day. (many vitamins and minerals and phytonutrients)
  • Kelp, 1 teaspoon every day.
  • Epsom salt baths, 1 cup in a tub of water 3x/week for 20 minutes.

Total cost about $4 per day.

jepps

Study about leaky gut and autoimmunity:

This study says, that a dysfunctional immune systeme creates leaky, and not vice versa.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2014/09/comes-first-leaky-gut-dysfunctional-immune-system.html

Right from the get-go, this study peaked my interest. In this experimental model of multiple sclerosis, healthy mice are inoculated with a chemical called myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein. It takes them 2 weeks to fully develop experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) and only about 80% of the mice do develop the disease. The animals that are going to develop EAE characteristically lose weight, about 10% of their body weight, about 1 week after the inoculation (they typically start to show symptoms about 8-10 days after with full development of the disease at the 2-week mark).

What the researchers did was to select those animals who were developing EAE based on whether or not they lost weight at the 1-week mark. Then, they measured intestinal permeability (whether or not the gut is leaky) at 1 week (before development of the disease) and at 2 weeks (after the disease had fully developed). What they found was that a leaky gut was present at 1 week, before the disease fully develops. A leaky gut comes first.

The researchers further characterized exactly what type of damage was being done to the gut to make it leaky as well as exactly how the immune system was being stimulated in the gut. The same types of immune system cells known to be culprits in the damage to the myelin sheath in EAE were accumulating in the tissues of the gut and causing damage there too. And regulatory T-cells, which are supposed to reign in the immune system but are deficient in autoimmune disease, were low in the intestine. Even more interesting, the protein zonulin, which has been implicated as the protein stimulated by gluten that causes a leaky gut via direct action on the tight junctions in celiac disease, was increased (again, lots more details on the effects of zonulin and the roles of different immune cell types in autoimmune disease can be found in The Paleo Approach). Taken together, this all looks very much like a gut being attacked by a dysfunctional immune system.

Regards, jepps