• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Caffeine

Allyson

Pardon my ignorance, but because I have POTS and also like caffeine AM to try to get a lift up from
the horrendous process of getting up in the morning, can you explain a bit more how caffeine helps POTS?
(I also have HUGELY dysregulated BP (highs to lows) and high Pulse.) Never thought of that!

Yes Raindrop indeed glad to - a lot of it is explained in the first few posts on this thread

http://forum.notcrazy.net/index.php?topic=9571.0

maybe if you have a look there then re-post here with any further questions or discussion?

Happy to help

Also good fb site for anyone wanting more info on EDS - a common cause of POTS that many docs do not know about
https://www.facebook.com/groups/200753810005631/

good luck

Ally

cman89

Can any of you tolerate caffeine, and actually get good energy/detox results from it? If so, what do you do to avoid insomnia side effects? I find that I can tolerate it sometimes with ok sleep that night, and sometimes it destroys my sleep. Same sleep aids, just differing results. Any ideas?

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
I can't get insomnia from anything, as I'm always sleepy. That said, caffeine rises my energy enough as to considering taking 4 cups of cofee a day a good thing as I do. Also, coffee seems to partially relieve my muscle and joint pain, and the dissiness I feel when standing up. What's your experience?

I think it depends on what type of caffeine you take. I tolerate caffeine better in healthy forms (ie. green tea, b-vitmain/amino acid caffeine supplementation drinks). I did have insomnia side effects (while still being sleepy!) when I was taking 120mgs of caffeine twice a day (240mg) with 400mg of Provigil, but I have since reduced that to 200mg of Provigil with 120mg of caffeine once a day. I also try to find caffeine free sources of energy, which I use first thing in the morning. I also NEVER take any sort of caffeine or energy upper after 2pm to avoid insomatic side effects. My current regimen is through Advocare supplements Arginineand B vitamin/Green tea drink (Biocharge) with 100mg Provigil in the morning; and a B complex Caffeine drink with 100mg Provigil during lunch (Spark). This has been working well for me the last few weeks, but everyonce in a while my tolerance levels change so I anticipate adapting this plan as needed in the future. If I take other forms of caffeine I notice a lot more side effects and crashes. Please note that mixing provigil with caffeine is not recommended likely due to over stimulation; however, caffeine is not known to negatively interact with Provigil.

cman89

I think it depends on what type of caffeine you take. I tolerate caffeine better in healthy forms (ie. green tea, b-vitmain/amino acid caffeine supplementation drinks). I did have insomnia side effects (while still being sleepy!) when I was taking 120mgs of caffeine twice a day (240mg) with 400mg of Provigil, but I have since reduced that to 200mg of Provigil with 120mg of caffeine once a day. I also try to find caffeine free sources of energy, which I use first thing in the morning. I also NEVER take any sort of caffeine or energy upper after 2pm to avoid insomatic side effects. My current regimen is through Advocare supplements Arginineand B vitamin/Green tea drink (Biocharge) with 100mg Provigil in the morning; and a B complex Caffeine drink with 100mg Provigil during lunch (Spark). This has been working well for me the last few weeks, but everyonce in a while my tolerance levels change so I anticipate adapting this plan as needed in the future. If I take other forms of caffeine I notice a lot more side effects and crashes. Please note that mixing provigil with caffeine is not recommended likely due to over stimulation; however, caffeine is not known to negatively interact with Provigil.
Yeah, it looks like you are far more regimented with your intake. so far for me its just been coffee based intake. 1-2 cups before seven am. No real idea how much is going in, so it could vary a lot. Good that you can avoid side effects with what you are using

cman89

I can't get insomnia from anything, as I'm always sleepy. That said, caffeine rises my energy enough as to considering taking 4 cups of cofee a day a good thing as I do. Also, coffee seems to partially relieve my muscle and joint pain, and the dissiness I feel when standing up. What's your experience?
It helps with overall energy, and gives me endurance that I lack otherwise. seems to also "bring mt heart up to speed" with the rest of my body, so to speak. for example I climb stairs while "buzzed" and dont feel the heart rate climb as much as without. It does make me cold, a little bit jittery, and can occasionally mess with sleep, so thats why i am trying to experiment

optimist

I started drinking coffee 12 years ago, and I remember once I drank a whole thermos and then went to bed and slept. It didn't have an effect on my ability to sleep. This summer I had crazy insomnia. I would go to bed at 5-6 am and sleep till about 3pm for several months. Then I gave in to test Immovane for a couple of nights and at the same time I stopped drinking coffee. Man was that a life changer! My rhythm got more normal, and now I try to take coffee only when I am extra tired. Even decaf can keep me up for some reason...?

It would be very interesting to try these caffeine pills you mentioned @xchocoholic!

Intially, Caffeine gives me a boost but the longer I take it the worse the inflammation in my stomach gets...I was a heavy black tea drinker since childhood (I'm part Indian) and I think it might be one of the reasons I have an inflamed gut today.

I found I could tolerate it less and less over time. Caffeine is a no-no for people with symptoms of IBS so I avoid it.

Plus I really feel a difference in mental clarity when it's not part of my diet. I'm not really into stimulants and I've read that coffee may wreck the adrenal gland as well.

xchocoholic

Copied from 2/23/14 ...

Caffeine pills don't make me jittery like coffee so I suspect there's some other chemical in coffee doing this. I'm less jittery with Sozo coffee but not entirely.

I started using caffeeine to undo the effects of my nightly klonopin. Caffeine blocks adenosine and keeps us from feeling sleepy.

Last month, I started using caffeine pills to counter the sleepy feelings I get from PEM. It works for that but I'm still getting my rubbery legs and arms feeling. And I still can't think as well as if I just took a few days to rest.

It doesn't help my OI, oh and pots. A 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of salt straight, slowly let dissolve on tongue, typically helps tho.

Tc ... x

Well like so many things I've tried to increase my energy that didn't last. Hmmph.

My heart started beating erratically if I took caffeine when I had pem. I don't feel well at all when that's happening.

So far, taking a little bit (25-50 mg) is helpful if I don't have pem. Kow. Fingers crossed.

Tc .. x

Do you find coffee and other caffeinated beverages helps with your symptoms or does it make them worse?

I don't have any caffine.

I used to drink a coffee in the morning and tea through the day. I never liked coffee but it gave me some energy to be able to do something. But I stopped it as I got a racing pulse with it too.

I was ill and stopped drinking tea as it made me feel sick. I felt really well afterwards, really well, almost normal and I was thinking it was over and maybe I was allergic to something in tea and that was the cause of my symptoms and was quite happy and excited and then it all came back exactly the same. Still it was nice while it lasted, but so heartbreaking as I turned back into the person I used to be for a couple of weeks and I'd much prefer myself that way.

Forgot to add that I do use caffine tablets if I have to go out somewhere but I have a major crash afterwards, but that could just be fact I have been out and overexerted myself and although I know I shouldn't, well I have to feel human sometimes.

xchocoholic

Forgot to add that I do use caffine tablets if I have to go out somewhere but I have a major crash afterwards, but that could just be fact I have been out and overexerted myself and although I know I shouldn't, well I have to feel human sometimes.

Me too. Feeling human for awhile is worth it tho.

I start with appr 25 mg and found that taking a smaller amount (appr 10mg) after a few hours of exerting myself and I'm feeling tired usually works. I'm also using vitamin water xxx for b's and dex4 for quick glucose. I need all of these order to run errands nowadays.

Tc .. x

Ps. Coffee doesn't equal caffeine. Google coffee chemicals. Same goes for tea, etc.

Last edited:

JAM

Jill
My one cup of coffee a day is good for me. I have ADD and one of the strange things with most people with ADD is that uppers are downers and downers are uppers. Hence speed (Adderall) calming our brains and slowing us down. I have a cup of coffee in the morning to relax me. Without it my mind is jittery and I can't concentrate. If I have 2 cups my body gets jittery, but my brain wants to sleep.

I find that caffeine has zero effect on me. Now alcohol on the other hand, seems to give me a little energy for a short while, but then I get a horrible headache and an horrendous attitude problem! Needless to say I steer clear from both these days. :meh:

Me too. Feeling human for awhile is worth it tho.

I start with appr 25 mg and found that taking a smaller amount (appr 10mg) after a few hours of exerting myself and I'm feeling tired usually works. I'm also using vitamin water xxx for b's and dex4 for quick glucose. I need all of these order to run errands nowadays.

Tc .. x

Ps. Coffee doesn't equal caffeine. Google coffee chemicals. Same goes for tea, etc.

Yes, I think if I don't have a few days where I push myself (even though I know I shouldn't) then I really don't think I could go on. It kills me in pain and fatigue afterwards though.

I use the dex glucose tablets too.

I had a red about chemicals in tea and coffee after I gave up tea, it's what made me believe I was better and it had all been the chemicals in the tea making me ill.

xchocoholic

Yes, I think if I don't have a few days where I push myself (even though I know I shouldn't) then I really don't think I could go on. It kills me in pain and fatigue afterwards though.

I use the dex glucose tablets too.

I had a red about chemicals in tea and coffee after I gave up tea, it's what made me believe I was better and it had all been the chemicals in the tea making me ill.

I hear you. I wish I didn't need to take anything to get out but I'm happy it works. I feel bad for those who can't get out.

I only use dye free glucose. The ones with dye make me feel sick. I don't understand manufacturers overuse of dyes.

Sorry but I can't understand your last paragraph. "I had a red ... ".

Tc ... x